cultfilman

Cricket Season 2019/20.

29 minutes ago, blybo said:

@wolster Well you are a couple of hours behind the rest of us so you get the best of the cricket and European sport in general at viewer friendly hours. Us east coasters need our beauty sleep. I was nodding off just after Denley was dismissed, so called it a night.

Fair call, @blybo :)

Tonight should be good. We get to find out if 258 was a reasonable score on that wicket.

Posted (edited)

Tried listening on the radio in bed since it's all night time.

What a load of drivel.  Sounded like half cut blokes in an English pub waffling in 'dialect'.

Edited by eman

I still think we shoulda batted first. Bancroft just doesn't look comfortable. Pokin n prodding n not trying to score n getting out for bugger all. Poms are bowling well.

If Usman wasn’t in great nick he wouldn’t have got close to that

They are bowling very well. Is this drizzle they are playing through juicing up the pitch? A few have stayed very

low too

So will we need to rely on the bowlers yet again to help us reach a reasonable score?

I hope not but sort of expect so.

Smith looks like he’ll make a few runs. I know he’s one of the best but he’s such an ugly batsman to watch.

Smith looks like he’ll make a few runs. I know he’s one of the best but he’s such an ugly batsman to watch.
I don't find a batsman that middles the ball and times his shots so well, ugly to watch. His reactions to variations are uncanny. I'm still smarting badly after the humiliation in Auckland.

On 16/08/2019 at 10:11 PM, buddyev said:

I bet The Don had plenty of 'ugly shots' when required as well...................except all of his innings aren't on 'tape' like they are today.

If you stay in AND score runs, you're a great bat.

I'm just glad they didn't ban him for two years ;)

8 minutes ago, wolster said:

I'm just glad they didn't ban him for two years ;)

He should have got two games like all the other 'cheats'.

12 hours ago, mikey d said:
On 16/08/2019 at 10:11 PM, buddyev said:

I don't find a batsman that middles the ball and times his shots so well, ugly to watch. His reactions to variations are uncanny. I'm still smarting badly after the humiliation in Auckland.

Yes, he middles the ball in a spookily brilliant way - no doubt. He’s probably the best test batsman in the world at the moment. I still find all his ticks, rituals, weird bat swings when he doesn’t play annoying to watch. You could never describe him as an elegant batsman, but obviously that doesn’t matter.

I wonder about his longevity?  What will he do when that extraordinary coordination and lightning reactions start to fail him. will he be able to fall back on technique in a way that many others have done to extend their careeers? I hope so.

Still, there are still a lot of other batsmen i’d rather watch. 

Well, we got close to their score and the test is still very much alive.

Smith was obviously out of sorts after that hit on the arm and was brave to come back on. The booing was just a reflection of the intelligence of those involved. Most at Lords gave Smith the applause and respect he deserved.

Why wasn't he wearing a helmet with the back protection? 

Great to see genuinely fast and hostile fast bowling. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Why wasn't he wearing a helmet with the back protection? 

Great to see genuinely fast and hostile fast bowling. 

Agree.  you think after the Phil Hughes tragedy, these would be mandatory.     the ball got very close to the same position in the upper neck/back of head as Hughes.    Can't blame the bowler - all Smith's fault.

Edited by metal beat

Posted (edited)

Joffra Archer is such a rare and precocious talent. That action is just so rhythmic and repeatable its like watch a swiss time piece go through its movements. He seems (seams?) a class above the rest of the bowlers on show. 

Good to see cricket implement a concussion replacement ahead of this tour and credit where credit is due to Marnus Labuschagne (as someone who grew up in South Africa I can't get past the cultural cringe of his new Labus-shane pronunciation). When I first saw him bat I didn't think he was test quality but he's pilling on the runs in county cricket and on the A team tour and looks in form. 

We just escaped with a draw on as lively a Lords wicket I've seen. Now onto Headingly which I suspect will be have as much grass as they can possibly muster this late into the Northern summer. A few more inches of movement off a length compared to Lords. Just what our top 3 need. 

Edited by Galactic Soap

Be advised that this topic is under Moderator Watch and may be locked at any time if it does not stay on topic or respectful of others views.