cultfilman

Cricket Season 2019/20.

image.png

@Luc

Panesar shared an excerpt of his book 'The Full Monty' with the Daily Mail, where he revealed the tactics he claims the England cricket team used to maximise swing on the ball.

"We found that mints and sun cream had an effect on the saliva, and that helped the ball to reverse," Panesar wrote.

"I might also have 'accidentally' caught the ball on the zip of my trouser pocket to rough it up a little. 

"That was probably a hairline fracture of the spirit of the game, even if the laws said you were allowed to 'use your uniform'."

He explained the directions he was given by pace bowler Jimmy Anderson among others in the team, in order to get reverse swing.

"We all tried to change the condition of the ball, because reverse swing has such a huge impact," Panesar said.

"When I came into the England side, my job was to prepare the ball for the seamers. 

The ICC found South Africa captain Faf du Plessis guilty of ball tampering after using mints to alter the condition of the ball against Australia in 2016. He was also been fined for rubbing the ball on the zipper of his pants against Pakistan in 2013.

In the 2017 Ashes, James Anderson was accused of ball tampering after being seen digging his left thumbnail into the ball during Australia’s second innings in the Boxing Day Test.

..and then there's Pakistan...

Stark would have finished off the innings before lunch. The bowler with the perfectly unplayable yorker.

Too much smiling and good humour for my liking

Agreed. Really annoying when tailenders get runs (except when they are Australian ;)

11 hours ago, mikey d said:

Stark would have finished off the innings before lunch. The bowler with the perfectly unplayable yorker.

With a white ball yes. He struggles to control the red ball, especially when new. I was having the same thoughts as you though.

15 hours ago, Luc said:

Stupid decision from a Captain who doesn't have a lot of tactical nous.

After watching last night do you really think he is the on field captain? He's there as captain in name only and to talk to the media. I'm sure there are team meetings to decide what to do if winning the toss. I'd say he is keeping Carey's seat warm while Smith is not allowed to be the official captain. Happy to declare I was wrong about Carey, but let's see how he goes in the long form.

21 hours ago, wolster said:

Panesar shared an excerpt of his book

Yup. I've read extracts of it via the Gruan and other sites. To my mind it pales into insignificance as does Atherton's dirt in the pocket and Faf Du Plessis' mints or whatever they were.

Someone came up with the idea to go to a store and buy some sandpaper and tear it up into little bits and designate someone to use it. Has the question ever been asked  : 'Was Bancroft the only Australian fielder with sandpaper down his pants on that day in St. Africa?'

Were all the team on notice to throw the ball to Bancroft  while fielding or in between overs? This whole saga has been done for dinner in the media but ...it's never been investigated in the Australian media the way you'd expect a story like this to be looked into. 3 guys knew about it? Boof didn't, the bowlers didn't, the huge support crew didn't...

Anyway, it's now water under the bridge isn't it, you can't put Humpty Dumpty back together again, we're a tarnished sporting nation from now on forever and a day and no one will let us forget it.

Tell your kid he'she's watching possibly the greatest Australian batsman since Bradman(huge call isn't it)but basically he's a cheat, he cheated when he condoned cheating and that Genie aint ever going back into it's bottle and that's what P's me off. I used to think we held the moral high ground and it's a bitter pill to swallow that far from it we actually inhabit the nether regions, the low grounds, the place we're winning at any cost is what we want.

You'd like to think it'll never happen again but the doubt will always be there from now on.

Hope people realise that cricket is showing 95 GEM HD and are not using 92 GEM SD...

Love the fact that Head showed the face of his bat to the crowd/dressing room. Since when did batsmen think more about their sponsors than the moment by showing the back?

how good are Smith’s hands. A freak this bloke. Get on board boys 

A good session for sure. Excellent run rate.

@Luc

' I used to think we held the moral high ground '

Don't agree, Luc. Until that cheating episode we were generally known as the team most hated by other international teams. And that had nothing to do with our ability.

Anyhows, Smith continues to command the crease, Wade is looking more confident with each over and our lead is over 200. Happy days!

Australia playing proper test cricket, only 4rpo. Smith wants to bat 'til next week.England going through the motions. BORING! I'm off to bed :)

4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Hope people realise that cricket is showing 95 GEM HD and are not using 92 GEM SD...

And it looks fantastic...

Amazing how great the barmy arm sounds when you’re winning...  😂

Should we have declared earlier? 

I often have the sense that Aussies captains bat too long before inviting the opposition to bat.

Be advised that this topic is under Moderator Watch and may be locked at any time if it does not stay on topic or respectful of others views.