Sign in to follow this  
cultfilman

Cricket Season 2019/20.

112 for 5

We have wasted two reviews. At this stage, we might need the bowlers to save the batters - yet again.

England, apart from Stokes, bowling well. A bonus for us that Anderson is gone.

And now Paine gone for 5...

6 down

Bloody hell

Smith to the rescue, yet again. I went to bed around 11, straight after Wade went out. Up to that stage, Warner was not out and was obvious watching live it was worth a review (although did also get the rub of the green on first ball), Bancroft bad shot, when is he going to use a straight bat? Usman ordinary shot to a good ball but was looking quite comfortable. Head and Wade both out to beautiful balls that swung and moved off the deck.

I hope the crowd gave Smith some recognition for his great innings. If not i think it's time Aussie crowds started getting into Stokes the thug.

I think both teams batting line ups are their weakness, will be interesting series no doubt.

Could not believe the score when I got up this morning. Smith is a marvel. And how good were Siddle and Lyon to stay with him? Watching replays this morning, there were more cheers and warm applause than boos right around the ground for Smith at the end of his innings.

Let's hope our bowlers can do similar damage this evening.

How good is Smith?

Only three men have played 50 Tests and averaged over 60. Don Bradman, Steve Smith and Herbert Sutcliffe, in that order.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, wolster said:

How good is Smith?

Begs the question doesn't it.

He'll never be in the same league as Don Bradman  or Herbert Sutcliffe or truth be told, a whole heap of great batsmen.

He either oversaw a planned cheating plot or he chose to turn a blind eye to it and the ramifications of it, along with his coach and his bowlers and his handlers.

Yes he is indeed one of the wonders of the cricketing batting world but..he's tarnished beyond repair and always will be and he brought my cherished game that I've loved since I was a nipper into permanent ill repute, he confirmed what pom's have thought for ages and nothing will ever change that.

I admire his skill, it's freakish and it's obviously a once in a generation or perhaps stands alone inter-generational.

His ability is gobsmacking and almost beyond compare but it's tempered with the fact that as Australia's captain he allowed the team, the entire team from management down to cheat and I'm personally ashamed by that.

I'd like us to win but...we're a damaged product aren't we.

* I'm sorry I forgot to mention(but I'm sure most tragics here are aware) that there are three batsmen whose Test average goes from D.G.Bradman and then Herb sutcliffe and then it's S.Smith

Edited by Luc

Posted (edited)

What a first ball from Lyon. G'day Lee @Luc, enjoy the game cobber

Edited by mikey d

3 hours ago, Luc said:

* I'm sorry I forgot to mention(but I'm sure most tragics here are aware) that there are three batsmen whose Test average goes from D.G.Bradman and then Herb sutcliffe and then it's S.Smith

Here are the top 20 @Luc Source: Howstat.com

Just as impressive are the caliber of players below.

batting.JPG

Posted (edited)

I should of mentioned that only three sit above 60.

The 17 below could blow out to the thirty below and so on.. Where do you draw the line?

Smith sits in a special space at this stage in his career.

*Eng showing Australia how to bat at Test level at the moment with the score at 103-1. Aus's much vaunted fast bowling attack looking a bit ineffectual on this pitch.

They should try pitching it up like the Eng bowlers did to great affect.

Wade's shot to get himself out in five balls...he's always appeared a batsman who thinks he knows how to bat in a situation and then does the exact opposite. Big runs for Tasmania mean nothing in the Test arena. Would M.Marsh have done any worse I wonder and at least he can hold up a bowling end.

Edited by Luc

6 minutes ago, Luc said:

I should of mentioned that only three sit above 60

Yep. That would have been more accurate ;)

Gee, there are some characters in the crowd this evening. Almost as good as our Richies :)

The English batsmen have shown us how to bat at Test level and unless we get an early wicket(the dangerous Stokes for my money) tonight then I reckon we're dead in the water, if we're not already that is.

Matthew Wade...I'd not of had him in the team especially when you have  Marnus Labuschagne in absolutely superb form and well suited and acclimatised to English conditions having starred for Glamorgan all year. Absolutely dumb shot Wade played in his 5 ball innings, unless he does something special in the second innings I'd have him out of the side never to return.

Paine displays little ability to be honest as Captain, not his fault of course but it would be nice to see him mix it up a bit. He has a very handy Leggie in Smith so why not bowl him in tandem with Lyon? 

17 hours ago, Luc said:

he's tarnished beyond repair and always will be and he brought my cherished game that I've loved since I was a nipper into permanent ill repute, he confirmed what pom's have thought for ages and nothing will ever change that.

I see this differently. I believe Smith knew nothing and fell on his sword after the fact, as any good captain would. He is not a man who is comfortable in front of the cameras and I'm sure the media adviser was sacked over how poorly things were handled. He simply stuffed up the admission of guilt and made it much worse than it needed to be.

Yes the team cheated, but show me a team that hasn't over the years. If you get the ball to reverse inside 50 overs you are doing something more than polishing 1 side to change it's condition. The best thing to come out of the fiasco is the improvement in on field behaviour, although I did notice Pattinson is up for a bit of verbal.

I think England had the first signs of reverse in over 24, not long before I went to bed. Because of the sandpaper gate fiasco, I don't think we will be getting much early reverse for some time.

14 hours ago, Luc said:

Wade's shot to get himself out in five balls...he's always appeared a batsman who thinks he knows how to bat in a situation and then does the exact opposite. Big runs for Tasmania mean nothing in the Test arena. Would M.Marsh have done any worse I wonder and at least he can hold up a bowling end.

I thought he and Head both got excellent deliveries. Hard to get yourself in when the ball is decking both ways.

We took a punt that we could get through the first session without too much loss. That back fired and they now probably have the best of the batting conditions, was sunnier on day 2 than day 1. I've heard a few people say that Paine probably now wishes he lost the toss and bowled first.

4 hours ago, Luc said:

Marnus Labuschagne in absolutely superb form and well suited and acclimatised to English conditions having starred for Glamorgan all year.

I've heard their home pitch is a road that plenty have scored big runs on. He's promising no doubt but Wade IS the form batsmen in the side leading in, the very best batsmen miss out sometimes.

4 hours ago, blybo said:

but show me a team that hasn't over the years.

Your joking right?

3 hours ago, blybo said:

We took a punt that we could get through the first session without too much loss.

And how would England have gone on a pitch that had a first day hint of green(long gone now) and we had a coterie of bowlers who were confident they could swing it. Stupid decision from a Captain who doesn't have a lot of tactical nous.

No wonder Joe Root was all smiles on day one. He's got two bowlers with a 1000 test wickets between them and a third who's home record in Tests is brilliant. They'd of been high fiving in the dressing room and the taciturn Bayliss would of chuckled.

3 hours ago, blybo said:

He's promising no doubt but Wade IS the form batsmen in the side leading in

Promising? Haha... He's the form batsman in County Cricket, he's made runs all over England this season has over a 1000 runs now. Wade has form, has form in not being able to bring his  domestic form into the Test arena.

Sorry but I think your barking up the wrong tree.  Wade looked clueless.

And Peter Siddle shows his worth yet again. He's bowled like this all year with Essex in County cricket against all these England players.. 44 extremely valuable runs and now two wickets and the fact that he can just trundle in all day if needed.

He cops flak from certain quarters in the punditry world but he's quality.

Lol, and Nathan Lyon gets Ali again, his true bunny.

Ali writes a column in the Guardian and the most recent one Ali said he wants Australia to take nothing home and to win nothing.

Here's hoping he's wrong eh.

Don't you just love test cricket. More permutations than chaos theory. Glad we don't have to bat last

I was about to post ‘don’t you just love test cricket’ and @mikey d beat me to it :)

Be advised that this topic is under Moderator Watch and may be locked at any time if it does not stay on topic or respectful of others views.