cultfilman

Cricket Season 2019/20.

Ben Oliver, the man who (with Justin Langer) led the renaissance of Western Australia cricket, will take over as national male and female team supremo with  former champion Olympic rower Drew Ginn OAM to oversee Australia's state and pathway programs.. including umpire development, talent identification plus sports science and medicine.

The dual high-profile CA appointments represent a restructure of the previous High Performance role as announced in the wake of Pat Howard's departure last November.

Is CA simply exchanging one bloke for another without a cricket background  to run our national sport?

Edited by cultfilman

Stuffed if I no what's happening but a rower overseeing cricket seems about right.

On a another topic they have certainly upset the balance in the One day side since Warner and smith have comeback. That and not picking Hazellwood to save him for the Ashes meets we have no chance of winning the World Cup. Defeated in the Semi final is my prediction.

Kwarjar and Marsh were travelling so well then they had to stuff with them.

WIN AT ALL COSTS  Cricket Australian moto.

@Tony Ray Hazlewood was injured when WC squad was picked. He is going well in the A side at the moment. He will get good Ashes prep when the four day games are played later in the tour.

Edited by cultfilman

One Aussie making a noise in English county cricket is this Qlander.
Marnus Labuchagne has a tidy 851 runs @65.46 for Welsh side Glamorgan plus has chipped in with the ball with 13 wickets @ 34.37 with his under rated leggies.

Edited by cultfilman

Maxwell and Stoinis are both useless when it counts.

If Usman has pulled a Hami they should give Wade a crack.

Wade is in as Kharjars replacement.

Who will they play Wade or Handscomb?

boundary count back, WTF???

What's wrong with a second super over? I haven't watched any of the closing stages but it seems like NZ may have missed a few golden opportunities along with some English good fortune

26 minutes ago, blybo said:

boundary count back, WTF???

What's wrong with a second super over? I haven't watched any of the closing stages but it seems like NZ may have missed a few golden opportunities along with some English good fortune

Totally agree - bloody ridiculous! If you have to look at the figures to determine a result then surely the team that lost fewest wickets in achieving the tied score should win - similar to how the Duckworth Lewis system factors in wickets down in rain affected scenarios.

Edited by Doppelganger

Stupid finish, another super over until you have a winner.

Boundary count back. First I've heard of that.

And I to thought the team that lost the least wickets would win.

Stoopid and dumb finish.

35 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

Boundary count back. First I've heard of that.

I wonder if the host nation gets any say in this rule? England have built their team around hitting the boundary more than others so would usually go in their favour, or is it just some attempt to create more exciting cricket. Amazingly we were talking about a possibility of a score of 500 in the world cup. The 2 best games I saw (NZ semi and final) were both low scoring but intriguing to watch.

Like I said never had heard about it but apparently England new of the rule before the game.

I cannot recognise the Poms winners and it should be a draw.

Even Ben Stokes dad said they should share it.

How long till the Stokes overthrows are known as "The bat of God"? I'm not suggesting he meant it at all, but that good fortune makes Smiths nutmeg run out in our Semi look ho hum

I thought It was a dead ball if it came off the bat.

Laws of cricket, I will never fully no them all.

I bet players start watching the incoming ball and accidentally get there bat in the way.

Edited by Tony ray

just heard on SEN1116 that as Stokes had not made his ground when the ball hit is bat, it should have been awarded 5 runs, not 6.

Seems lots of little things went against NZ and England had the rub of the green, including the LBW against Taylor.

Jason Roy should've been given LBW first ball. Staggers me this review system, fair enough if it doesn't pitch in line, it fulfilled 2 of the 3 criteria, in line and hitting stumps, and comes down to umpires call, what a crock.

Guptill should have been yelling at Boult to catch and throw to him, and yes, the 4 overthrows didn't help.

As I've read on various forums about the game, England didn't win it, they were awarded it.

Just have another Super over. Games of cricket are usually decided by how many runs a team scores.

Gutted for Guptill, hadn't faced any balls, yet he's got to hit 2 runs of the last ball!

No Starc, no Hazelwood. Big call. 

Now Anderson is injured. Intriguing situation

112 for 5

We have wasted two reviews. At this stage, we might need the bowlers to save the batters - yet again.

England, apart from Stokes, bowling well. A bonus for us that Anderson is gone.

And now Paine gone for 5...

6 down

Bloody hell

Smith to the rescue, yet again. I went to bed around 11, straight after Wade went out. Up to that stage, Warner was not out and was obvious watching live it was worth a review (although did also get the rub of the green on first ball), Bancroft bad shot, when is he going to use a straight bat? Usman ordinary shot to a good ball but was looking quite comfortable. Head and Wade both out to beautiful balls that swung and moved off the deck.

I hope the crowd gave Smith some recognition for his great innings. If not i think it's time Aussie crowds started getting into Stokes the thug.

I think both teams batting line ups are their weakness, will be interesting series no doubt.

Could not believe the score when I got up this morning. Smith is a marvel. And how good were Siddle and Lyon to stay with him? Watching replays this morning, there were more cheers and warm applause than boos right around the ground for Smith at the end of his innings.

Let's hope our bowlers can do similar damage this evening.

How good is Smith?

Only three men have played 50 Tests and averaged over 60. Don Bradman, Steve Smith and Herbert Sutcliffe, in that order.

5 hours ago, wolster said:

How good is Smith?

Begs the question doesn't it.

He'll never be in the same league as Don Bradman  or Herbert Sutcliffe or truth be told, a whole heap of great batsmen.

He either oversaw a planned cheating plot or he chose to turn a blind eye to it and the ramifications of it, along with his coach and his bowlers and his handlers.

Yes he is indeed one of the wonders of the cricketing batting world but..he's tarnished beyond repair and always will be and he brought my cherished game that I've loved since I was a nipper into permanent ill repute, he confirmed what pom's have thought for ages and nothing will ever change that.

I admire his skill, it's freakish and it's obviously a once in a generation or perhaps stands alone inter-generational.

His ability is gobsmacking and almost beyond compare but it's tempered with the fact that as Australia's captain he allowed the team, the entire team from management down to cheat and I'm personally ashamed by that.

I'd like us to win but...we're a damaged product aren't we.

* I'm sorry I forgot to mention(but I'm sure most tragics here are aware) that there are three batsmen whose Test average goes from D.G.Bradman and then Herb sutcliffe and then it's S.Smith

Edited by Luc

What a first ball from Lyon. G'day Lee @Luc, enjoy the game cobber[emoji41]

Edited by mikey d

3 hours ago, Luc said:

* I'm sorry I forgot to mention(but I'm sure most tragics here are aware) that there are three batsmen whose Test average goes from D.G.Bradman and then Herb sutcliffe and then it's S.Smith

Here are the top 20 @Luc Source: Howstat.com

Just as impressive are the caliber of players below.

batting.JPG

I should of mentioned that only three sit above 60.

The 17 below could blow out to the thirty below and so on.. Where do you draw the line?

Smith sits in a special space at this stage in his career.

*Eng showing Australia how to bat at Test level at the moment with the score at 103-1. Aus's much vaunted fast bowling attack looking a bit ineffectual on this pitch.

They should try pitching it up like the Eng bowlers did to great affect.

Wade's shot to get himself out in five balls...he's always appeared a batsman who thinks he knows how to bat in a situation and then does the exact opposite. Big runs for Tasmania mean nothing in the Test arena. Would M.Marsh have done any worse I wonder and at least he can hold up a bowling end.

Edited by Luc

6 minutes ago, Luc said:

I should of mentioned that only three sit above 60

Yep. That would have been more accurate ;)

Gee, there are some characters in the crowd this evening. Almost as good as our Richies :)

The English batsmen have shown us how to bat at Test level and unless we get an early wicket(the dangerous Stokes for my money) tonight then I reckon we're dead in the water, if we're not already that is.

Matthew Wade...I'd not of had him in the team especially when you have  Marnus Labuschagne in absolutely superb form and well suited and acclimatised to English conditions having starred for Glamorgan all year. Absolutely dumb shot Wade played in his 5 ball innings, unless he does something special in the second innings I'd have him out of the side never to return.

Paine displays little ability to be honest as Captain, not his fault of course but it would be nice to see him mix it up a bit. He has a very handy Leggie in Smith so why not bowl him in tandem with Lyon?