SOLD: FS: OAD Ultrafidelity Pre & Power amplifier

SOLD

Item: OAD Ultrafidelity CP1 Preamplifier and UF1 Power amplifier
Price: $6900 - RETAIL $12,800
Item Condition: Like new
Reason for selling: Upgrading
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: Here is something special that you don't see every day on StereoNet. The reason is that those who buy the OAD pre and power amp combination rarely if ever let them go.

Probably the best kept secret in hi-end audio, Jon DeSensi has created something very special with his CP1 pre and UF1 power amplifiers. The degree which he has gone to create these world class amps is something that most manufacturers wouldn't consider. WIth a background in electrical engineering and consulting on large scale projects for government and industry, his experience and knowledge in designing and developing cutting edge electronics is unmatched in the Australian Hi-Fi industry. Having previously created one of the most popular DACs available internationally, and a range of amplifiers under the Musiclabs brand, he is now back with his latest creations.

I have owned many solid state and some valve amplifiers before hearing the OAD pre and power amps, but nothing prepared me for the CP1 pre and UF1 power amp. On hearing them in my system I knew there and then I had to have them. It wasn't a case of 'these sound really good', more like 'these amps are so superior to anything I have ever heard' that I had to have them. These amps re-define the concept of clarity, detail and purity of signal. When putting these amps up against anything anywhere near its price point, the OAD amps will shock you with the soundstage and presence they create, and the unforced detail and dynamics.

And absolutely unmatched at anywhere near the price is the included phono stage. It will easily compete with an RCM Sensor 2, and is only bested by phono stages significantly more expensive. I was originally running my Michell Gyrodec into a Musical Surroundings phonomena, which I thought sounded pretty good. I then upgraded to the battery powered Musical Surroundings Nova II, which was an eye opener and a serious improvement over the phonomena. It was amazingly quiet, with music escaping from a black background. But absolutely nothing could have prepared me for the massive improvement that the phono stage in the CP1 delivered. I had the Nova II plugged into the CP1 to compare with the internal phono stage... which lasted all of 30 seconds... I disconnected the Nova II, packed it straight into a box and never used it again. The Nova II is an amazing phono stage, but is not in the same league as the internal phono stage in the CF1. With a high quality moving coil cartridge, the low noise and high bandwith phono stage will floor you with its immediacy, colour and dynamics.

The things that make the OAD amps different, also define them as groundbreaking, and unlike many cutting edge products, highly reliable. 

Starting with the CP1, its a masterpiece of design, with the shortest possible signal paths, with all unnecessary elements removed to improve sound quality and reliability. The OAD CP1 has eight discrete power supplies, four for each channel. There are no mechanical potentiometers and switches - source switching and volume is controlled by a colour touch screen. Input selection is made with high quality gold plated Swiss made relays, and only the selected input is connected - all other inputs are isolated. The selected input is followed by a buffer amplifier and presents a benign load to signal sources. The volume control uses laser cut precision, low-noise and zero- induction resistors. It controls both volume and balance. Such is the quality of the resistors, that they were originally designed for the aerospace industry, The CP1 also uses these resistors in selected areas of the signal path as well as direct coupling to remove all capacitor colouration. This is the kind of component you will not find in just about any other hi-fi component.

Crosstalk is virtually eliminated by using a dual mono layout for left and right channels. 

Input and output signals are made through the highest quality silver-plated oxygen free copper (OFHC) RCA connectors.

There are 6 inputs - 5 line stage and 1 for connecting moving magnet or moving coil cartridges.

The UF1 is extremely fast with ultra-wide bandwidth and has a high current capability. An amplifier must be able to cope gracefully with impedance dips to 4 Ohms and lower. As the load impedance of an amplifier is decreased to below 8 Ohms large signal non-linearities begin to appear. Unlike, crossover distortion, this large signal non-linearity is significantly dependent on the amplifier's output stage power transistors. Utilizing the latest in cutting edge bipolar transistor technology to deal with these significant distortions. the transistors used in the UF1 are in a different class from the more conventional transistors. The current gain is completely maintained over its full power bandwidth, and accurately processes relatively large signals to deliver current capacity and maintain performance, independent of the load presented by the loudspeakers. . Correct utilization of these transistors minimizes not only the large signal non-linearities but significantly lowers crossover distortion. The use of of these bipolar transistors also allows the UF1 to omit using an output transformer. In its place are Thermaltrak output transistors. The internal layout of the UF1 power amp is also dual mono, and built to an incredible high standard with the highest quality components, ensuring reliable and trouble free operation.

One thing that will strike you when you listen to the UF1 is that when you drive the amp hard, the sound will not distort, the quality of the sound does not change or decrease. Basically as you put the volume up the sound increases. With many other amps the quality of the sound being reproduced will change. What this means is that you can listen to a symphony orchestra and have the dynamics of a performance delivered without compression, or you can listen to a rock album turned up and get the same uncompressed sound quality throughout the frequency range. After listening to the CP1 and UF1, I couldn't go back to my previous amps as they sounded compressed and shut-in, missing the detail that the OAD pair brought to my music listening. 

It's really eye opening listening to these amps for the first time. You realise what is possible in Hi-Fi and you get a glimpse of the absolute high-end.

Which probably makes you ask 'well if these amps are so good, why is he selling them?' Well after using the OAD amps, I have been bitten by the upgrade bug badly and I'm chasing the next step up. I want to see how far I can take things. Which means it's going to get expensive... real quickly.  Unfortunately I can't afford to keep everything, so something has to give. I'm emptying the cupboards, selling all my extra gear, and saving for the next step in my audio journey. So I have priced these amps very keenly to encourage offers to purchase.

The amps come with their original packaging so can be sent interstate. Included is a remote control, which performs the same functions of the touch display, including input switching, volume control, mute and standby modes. 

These amps are in as-new condition, and will suit someone looking to upgrade way beyond their current mid-fi equipment, especially someone who loves vinyl, has a decent turntable and wants to get a taste of the high end.

A donation will be made to SNA once sold.

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/open-audio-design-launch-at-sonic-purity

https://sonicpurity.com.au/brands/oad

http://openaudiodesigns.com/

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

OAD-FrontAngle2.jpg

OAD-FrontAngle.jpg

OAD-Front.jpg

OAD-Rear.jpg

Edited by Max Headroom
Corrections and additional info
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, vinylguy said:

HI

I don't understand, or may have missed something. Why has the pre not got balanced out to go into the amp, which clearly has balanced in.

The power amps had balanced inputs added during their design phase to accommodate those with pre amps that have balanced out, but the designer is not keen on Balanced inputs/outputs due to the cost of properly implementing a true balanced design. See the OAD website for a treatise on the pros and cons of having a balanced design.

This is very tempting. Considering how these reportedly out classed a valve set up circa $40K, wonder what is out there to take it further? :popcorn:

GLWTS if it was closer to Tax Time I'd whip out the calculator tout de suite :thumb:

Edited by lemarquis

Had the honor of Jon bringing over his pre / power combo plus phono for a GTG , and can happily endorse their superb performance!

Very clean, dynamic and natural sound.

Edited by evil c
  • Like 2

Guest scumbag

Great write up mate. You can't get what you want unless you know what you want so good luck with sale and I hope you get to your goal! ;)

Wow.  I’d never thought I’d see these come up in a hurry! Real bargain here for someone thinking of hitting the high end.  Seriously, all the talk is real - almost every one of these Jon has sold earlier on has been via home audition with a lend unit.  That is, no “sales”, just find out for yourself.  Such is his confidence in his designs.

Now as full disclosure - I was one of them!  I was happy minding my own business loving my StereoKnight m-100 Tube monoblocks, with nary a care in the world, when an OAD prototype popped around for a visit.  Dammit.

I’m the very proud owner of a prototype of the power amp here, and it’s staying put!  

I have heard it with the matching pre, and whether you went for the power amp or not, that pre is astounding.  As mentioned, looked at the specs.  Nothing spared, and a touchscreen.  Cool!

I am looking forward to soon trying the new separate phono in my system (I believe essentially the same as the inbuilt one), which the Audio grapevine tells me happily betters an RCM Sensor 2.  Big claim, but again, coming from multiple sources....

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/oad-ultrafidelity-announces-up1-phono-preamp

Get in there peeps.  It won’t last and it’s Aussie design at its best!

GLWTS.

Mat

ps.  I have a Jon De Sensi Music Labs integrated amp that I’d used pretty much daily for 20yrs.  Parties,  share houses, moves, loud, soft - you name it.  It came with a “20 year warranty”. Seriously!  Anyway, by complete chance, I met Jon for the first time and I told him about the unit (now 21 years old), still in daily use.  I mentioned the selector switch was a little dicky, but otherwise it all worked perfectly.  Next thing I know, John has taken it, serviced it, cleaned the selector, and returned it.  Free of charge.

I get the feeling the OAD units are gonna last a while....

Edited by Mat-with-one-t
  • Like 5

It's all true, everything written here regarding  Open Audio Designs gear, Astonishing airy  shocking, scary bowel shaking bass (try Roger Waters ..Three Wishes to get an idea how scary, very fast and dead black quiet.

Either of the above advertised components will easily  hold their own anywhere individually but when hooked up to each other it's another dimension, I'm sure they are empathetic with each other.

Quickly chaps, they'll be gone soon.

Sorry to gush but I've owned (loved) this gear for some time, still can't find a power amp this side of fifty grand that even starts to compete. The optional integrated phono stage is off it's head fabulous btw. 

Like tube sound?? the  top end is pure tube like loveliness minus the roll off.  Try and find a bad review.....

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

BTW we knewvJon back in the days when he was just developing his kit. Remember sessions at George Secher's in Highfield Road. Days gone bye.

Paul

That’s where my original Music Labs amp came from.  It was my 1st proper stereo when I got my 1st proper job.  I auditioned all sorts of stuff everywhere.  I was glad to say that Aussie stuff, for the money at the time and on my budget, came out on top!

I really hope you sell this soon, because the more I look at it, the more I'm tempted to just buy it.

What a beautiful pre/power combo!

If it's half as good as you described, it'll easily replace my current Naim system.

*ARGH!!!!!!!! get thee away, temptation!  ?

19 hours ago, srms said:

Hi, just wondering if these are class D amps as 7 kg is pretty light for a 200 watt amp?

GLWTS

Power amp is class AB, definitely not class D. I've seen inside them, beautifully made indeed!