Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
BIG DWIFTER

Centre speaker

Recommended Posts

More expensive than the door wedges, but improves the sound with these stands

https://www.storedj.com.au/isoacoustics-iso-130-mk2-studio-monitor-isolation-stands-small-pair?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2uDYyeTv4gIVyxErCh2qGAb1EAQYAyABEgLKV_D_BwE

Can also be used to tilt the centre speaker towards the ears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry to be blunt.. but are you silly? (see thats a nice way) you should not be buying anything until you have the room to put it in. you should not be buying a centre speaker until you know exactly what fronts you will have.

as for a huge room you need 2 subs, a better auto set up than that onkyo and an avr/amp system that can set up 2 subs. the onk can not.

the psa 210 range would be great (other forum members have them).. or actually go to see edward before deciding anything. the psa are basically HT speakers made for that task, krix have a similar range (also in adelaide)

put up with the yammy until you can decide on a full system, bought piece by piece and after moving to new room to save regret later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You say silly...I think more along the lines of not enough funds to do everything at once unfortunately.

 

There is no way I can afford more than the SVS PB2000. That's all my budget allows. I do not have this sub yet.

 

The Yamaha YST-SW216 sub I own, and am using right now, is about 70w RMS. The PB2000 is 500w RMS. Even an Accusound 12" was absolutely thunderous in comparison.

 

The new setup will be in a much smaller room. 4x4. The PB 2000 will be plenty for that.

 

I like the PSA 210s a lot. They are a bit out of my budget though.

 

The SVS Prime are more in my budget or something from Edward. I like his speakers a lot and have bought quite a few different models from him over the years.

Edited by BIG DWIFTER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was amazed when I got my B&W centre speaker. Everything came alive. 

I wouldn’t say it has to match. Look for a good one to come up in the classifieds. 

I have an SVS PB2000 from @CustomHT in a similar room and it’s ridiculously good. The SPL is deafening at half volume. 

Go with what you like. It’s your room and your gear. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Yeah that's what I've been thinking. Anything will be a huge upgrade on this tiny little centre.

 

An SVS prime would be significant. 

 

Cheers mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

silly refered to buying a centre speaker, the most important/equal to a sub in a ht room before "knowing" what the other speakers will be. so not meaning anything against you, just that idea per say.

 

anyways i would guess stick with what you know. the svs primes do not always get such good posts and are expensive vs edwards gear which can be modded very easy and reasonably priced to suit your needs. maybe consider 2 of his better book shelf for fronts with a large centre. (if for movies)

 

the svs sub does come up 2nd hand. i would not buy one at the current pricing ($1300), 2nd hand around $800 or the model before it usually comes up. the 12SND around $600.

 

but yes stick to your budget and get as they come up, thats why 2nd hand will work for the sub especially.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

silly refered to buying a centre speaker, the most important/equal to a sub in a ht room before "knowing" what the other speakers will be. so not meaning anything against you, just that idea per say.

Yeah I absolutely get you, it's just that's the one that needs upgrading the most.

 

I have narrowed the fronts down to these -

Summoner 1093DQTL - Trio centre

Summoner 863SQTL - Trio centre

SVS Primes

 

Pretty sure I'll just go see Edward now. Unless there is some sort of second hand bargain to be found here!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one risk with this approach is getting something now and not being suitable for what ever eventuates as far as room goes when things come about.

 

no thoughts on kris at all ? they are in back yard and make some awesome speakers in the ht realm. and can tackle HT without breaking a sweat. also make some awesome centres ? 

 

am all believer in building systems one building block at a time with an end goal in mind. but i think have to know the room most importantly. it is most important. and while can possibly make most things fit, there is a real possibility jumping the gun here.

 

as far as centre speaker goes. I did quite a bit in upgrading centres and have owned 2 others prior before one I have now. one thing I found really helps centre speakers is a vertically aligned tweeter mid range setup. and getting THE best centre speaker can afford.

 

It is THE most important speaker in a setup. and I would indeed get the best can afford here. the sub is 2nd most important in HT but that is really very much dependant on room going in I would suggest. fitting a centre in can also be quite installation dependant. hence coming back to whether jumping the gun...

 

on centres... I would also not discount whats driving.... AVRs can leave a good or great centre wanting. I have in my very own experience seen and heard with own ears the benefit good decent power brings to clarity of vocals and detail and dynamics and this with even budget centre i originally owned. so something I wouldnt ignore... and be careful on this that dont end up getting a great centre and then leaving it undernourished....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, betty boop said:

one risk with this approach is getting something now and not being suitable for what ever eventuates as far as room goes when things come about.

Yeah it's a worry but if it's really that bad I guess one could change it out.

 

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

no thoughts on kris at all ?

They seem quite expensive what they are on paper. Haven't had the opportunity to hear them much although I'm in Adelaide!

 

3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

am all believer in building systems one building block at a time with an end goal in mind. but i think have to know the room most importantly. it is most important. and while can possibly make most things fit, there is a real possibility jumping the gun here.

Yeah I know, the room I'm in now is just terrible for any HT. The new 4x4 box should be more accommodating.

 

5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

as far as centre speaker goes. I did quite a bit in upgrading centres and have owned 2 others prior before one I have now

What do you have now?

 

6 minutes ago, betty boop said:

one thing I found really helps centre speakers is a vertically aligned tweeter mid range setup.

I like the look this setup - https://klappav.com.au/collections/speakers/products/airmotiv-c2-centre-loudspeaker-black

 

6 minutes ago, betty boop said:

and getting THE best centre speaker can afford.

Maybe I just go for the SVS Ultra while it's on sale. Never heard it though.

 

7 minutes ago, betty boop said:

 

on centres... I would also not discount whats driving.... AVRs can leave a good or great centre wanting. I have in my very own experience seen and heard with own ears the benefit good decent power brings to clarity of vocals and detail and dynamics and this with even budget centre i originally owned. so something I wouldnt ignore... and be careful on this that dont end up getting a great centre and then leaving it undernourished....

This centre has seen two AVRs, it has performed exactly the same on both.

 

The AVRs have been fairly low end though. I really want another one when the new standards are a bit cheaper for 4K HDR 120hz etc.

 

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm definitely still poking around in low end stuff and have nowhere near the knowledge you guys have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BIG DWIFTER said:

Yeah it's a worry but if it's really that bad I guess one could change it out.

this makes no sense.... especially it seems on a budget. its just wasting money to buy and change out ? 

 

18 minutes ago, BIG DWIFTER said:

They seem quite expensive what they are on paper. Haven't had the opportunity to hear them much although I'm in Adelaide!

espesically with speakers you have to hear them ? :D 

 

19 minutes ago, BIG DWIFTER said:

What do you have now?

focal electra centre prior to that paradigm which was awesome and richter before but really relevant ... should be looking at what is best for your setup rather than what am using ? 

 

20 minutes ago, BIG DWIFTER said:

there are all sorts of setups out there... id be hesitant on just going on looks alone :) 

 

20 minutes ago, BIG DWIFTER said:

Maybe I just go for the SVS Ultra while it's on sale. Never heard it though.

makes no sense if never heard ? how do you know like the sound of it or how matches in with rest of what got ? 

 

21 minutes ago, BIG DWIFTER said:

This centre has seen two AVRs, it has performed exactly the same on both.

 

The AVRs have been fairly low end though. I really want another one when the new standards are a bit cheaper for 4K HDR 120hz etc.

that just tells me that likes is a candidate for attention. not only a more upmarket jobbie for better processing, but also consideration of amplification to help centre deliver. doesnt have to be expensive see quality amps going all the time for 100s of dollars... but again jumping gun. centre first ? then amp needed to drive so can best deliver...

 

22 minutes ago, BIG DWIFTER said:

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm definitely still poking around in low end stuff and have nowhere near the knowledge you guys have.

if wanting an upgrade am not sure poking around in low end stuff is going to get you there :) likely just end up with similar results than what have now ? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, betty boop said:

this makes no sense.... especially it seems on a budget. its just wasting money to buy and change out ? 

Yeah I know.

 

I need a centre now though.

 

I've put up with this one for 7 years and watch movies pretty much daily.

 

It has to get upgraded.

16 minutes ago, betty boop said:

espesically with speakers you have to hear them ?

Yeah thats why sticking with Edward is my best choice.

 

16 minutes ago, betty boop said:

here are all sorts of setups out there... id be hesitant on just going on looks alone :)

Sorry the look of the speaker isn't the nicest and I don't have WAF so it doesn't matter too much anyway.

 

I like the look of the size, drivers used and tweeter arrangement.

 

Oh and the price lol.

 

I'm one for performance, looks come second.

16 minutes ago, betty boop said:

makes no sense if never heard ? how do you know like the sound of it or how matches in with rest of what got ? 

I know, which is why I don't know about it lol. But I would most likely add the Ultra FL+FR if I did go down that route.

 

16 minutes ago, betty boop said:

that just tells me that likes is a candidate for attention.

Yeah but I don't have tens of thousands of dollars for HT gear.

 

I wish I did, but I don't.

 

The AVR I have now is fine for it's duties. Does everything I need.

16 minutes ago, betty boop said:

not only a more upmarket jobbie for better processing, but also consideration of amplification to help centre deliver.

The AVR I have is not that old.

 

It's not getting upgraded for a few years.

 

It has plenty of power.

 

The problem is the centre speaker.

 

The centre speaker is a pile of junk -

 

NS-C55

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/267101/Yamaha-Ns-C55.html

16 minutes ago, betty boop said:

. doesnt have to be expensive see quality amps going all the time for 100s of dollars... but again jumping gun. centre first ? then amp needed to drive so can best deliver...

The centre is not the first component in the current system, as it is a complete system and has been for a decade...

Edited by BIG DWIFTER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, betty boop said:

f wanting an upgrade am not sure poking around in low end stuff is going to get you there :) likely just end up with similar results than what have now ? 

Hence looking at much better gear than I am using now.

 

I know it's pitiful compared with what's out there but that's what I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Just now, BIG DWIFTER said:

Hence looking at much better gear than I am using now.

 

I know it's pitiful compared with what's out there but that's what I have.

if on a budget 2nd hand is worth looking at ... automatically drop 40-60% or more off new price. the beauty with speakers are even stuff from 10 years back can be awesome. eg not even that old here for $450 ...will be a very decent centre...

 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Paradigm-Studio-CC490-Centre-Speaker-Rosenut/323835512873?hash=item4b6619c829:g:0X4AAOSwJh1dBZ2d

 

if can find a cc570/ cc590 even more better .... 

 

but will need decent amps feeding, even ones 100s of dollars eg old rotel 1075 or something of ilk....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Adelaide is pretty hard to find second gear unless it's listed here and that's rare too.

 

We have Ascension, Krix and VAF but it's cheaper to buy the last two brands interstate normally:(

 

No one wants to ship interstate just like that ebay Paradigm.

Edited by BIG DWIFTER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

look at this b&W that went...

 

$650

 

 

 

if got more cash have a look at this kef ? maybe still around ? it too will need a decent amp though... most avrs are not going to do it justice...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BIG DWIFTER said:

Adelaide is pretty hard to find second gear unless it's listed here and that's rare too.

 

We have Ascension, Krix and VAF but it's cheaper to buy the last two brands interstate normally:(

 

No one wants to ship interstate just like that ebay Paradigm.

ive heard all those excuses before :D 

 

rubbish 😛 ... just matter of time.... you have been listening to same centre for 7 years and all of a sudden it must be now ? cant wait ? :D look around be surprised id suggest in what pops up. put a wtb in classifieds. be clear on what looking for and never know ... we have had a stack of centre speakers actually pop up for sale... id be very surprised they are not all good to ship .... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...