'Interconnects'

Greetings members

I'm currently looking for good RCA cables to connect my receiver (Denon) to my poweramp (Rotel) and I am totally confused by the myriad of options out there. I know the topic on cables is a very controversial one but I am looking for something of decent quality but where I don't pay too much for snake oil.

One thing I have noticed is that not many cable manufacturers publish their actual specifications. Some of the American brands do but I haven't found anything made locally that publish their specifications.

After much looking around I almost bought Concord audio male to male 2x RCA cables from Jaycar for about $17. The reason I stopped is because I couldn't tell if it was shielded or not looking at the box or their website.

I then eventually settled on Wireworld Luna 8. I should be able to get them for about $55 for a metre as they are on sale at the moment.

What do you think about these, are they any good? As always your input is much appreciated.

Thanks folks. Just thought I'd add that the Golden Gate RCAs are held too closely by a clamp, they most certainly won't fit my power amp where the LR unbalanced inputs are very spaced out/far apart.

I thought I'd put it out there just in case someone else is considering them.

45 minutes ago, MaxPlumage said:

Thanks folks. Just thought I'd add that the Golden Gate RCAs are held too closely by a clamp, they most certainly won't fit my power amp where the LR unbalanced inputs are very spaced out/far apart.

I thought I'd put it out there just in case someone else is considering them.

Yeah that's true. My power amp is the same. Dual mono design. You would have to go up to Red River which is more expensive. Not really worth it. The NB's look good to me. And as said, there are a few members on here that make cracking cables from what I've heard. 

People say these are good too:

https://audioprincipe.com.au/interconnects/shielded-interconnects/

Edited by blakey72
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

Since all the electronic properties of a cable increase with length, the shorter the better.

Exactly!  :thumb:  But except for digital cables (the ones with RCA plugs on the ends); I was told by a guru that these need to be at least 1m in length, to sound any good.  So that's the ruleuse.

And

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

Exactly!  :thumb:  But except for digital cables (the ones with RCA plugs on the ends); I was told by a guru that these need to be at least 1m in length, to sound any good.  So that's the ruleuse.

And

Yes, I've heard that as well.  Anyone know the reason?

• Like 1

I think it's to do with cable resistance increasing with longer runs, but I've heard this is not an issue for runs > 1m if the wire guage is 12-18 AWG but of course don't go overboard i.e. 10m interconnects... but should be ok if 3m, for example. If length is a concern always go coax over twisted pair is advice I have heard as well.

Disclaimer: I'm no electrical engineer :)

18 hours ago, MaxPlumage said:

One thing I have noticed is that not many cable manufacturers publish their actual specifications. Some of the American brands do but I haven't found anything made locally that publish their specifications.

That would be because from an engineering viewpoint a one or two metre length of RCA cable is considered to be non-critical for audio, as long as it is of a normal design.

As normally designed, the resistance of the inner conductor and of the shielding are considered negligible (because the load impedance of the preamp or amp the RCA cable feeds should be relatively high, in the many kilohms); and the capacitance is considered negligible (because the source impedance of the device feeding the RCA cable should be much, much lower than the capacitative reactance of the cable).  [The capacitance of the interconnect becomes a distinct issue with cables for magnetic cartidges.]  

On the other hand, in some parts of the audiophile world, even a short length of power cord may be viewed with suspicion!

On 16/06/2019 at 5:17 PM, MaxPlumage said:

...One thing I have noticed is that not many cable manufacturers publish their actual specifications. Some of the American brands do but I haven't found anything made locally that publish their specifications...

The specification that matters is capacitance, especially for phono cables where the capacitance needs to be low.  I think most manufactures take it for granted that a consumer will assume normal interconnect has adequate capacitance, and those labelled for phono use will have adequately low capacitance.  

However, I feel it's frustrating that there is not more objective transparency from manufactures so consumers can make informed choices.  We are largely left to rely on marketing hype, and (fortunately) experience from users on forums such as this.

• Like 1

Or buy from a reputed manufacturer like redgum that actually post the specifications, right? [emoji16]

I almost bought Luna 8 wireworld, but I didn't because when I read about their 'tech' I realised they were using two flat sandwiched cables (there's a diagram of the cable cross section on their website) with no dedicated core (coax or twisted)!! Even to a non-electrical engineer like me it sounds like these are the VERY things one should avoid. The flat sandwiched cables in particular would certainly increase capacitance.

And you pay a premium for these too.

Anyway I'll stick with well understood cable basics, thanks.

A cable IMHO should be neutral as much as possible and not colour the sound.

12 minutes ago, MaxPlumage said:

Or buy from a reputed manufacturer like redgum that actually post the specifications, right? emoji16.png

So. You are able to verify these measurements?

Another crazy idea would be to listen objectively and compare. There are many inexpensive cables out there which are superior.

However if you make your purchasing decisions based on published specs, it is certainly your right and I wish you well.:)

So. You are able to verify these measurements?

Another crazy idea would be to listen objectively and compare. There are many inexpensive cables out there which are superior.

However if you make your purchasing decisions based on published specs, it is certainly your right and I wish you well.[emoji4]

Ha ha ... can't win can I...if I buy blind and ask for opinions someone will say check the specs. If I check the specs then someone will say how can you trust them. At some point you have to place a bit of trust - same way you wouldn't buy an amp without at least checking the specs.

So while I can't verify the specs I do trust Redgum. Also because the have good references on the forums. The two go a long way in solidifying my confidence. Besides, a manufacturer with a negative reputation won't last for too long in this business so yes I do trust them.

Objectively comparing sounds good in theory but not many have the cables or the range or the luxury to be able to source whatever brand the want and try to 'objectively compare'.

I'd also place more weight on measurements and numbers rather my failing old ears [emoji16]

In the end to each his own and I respect that.

My 2 cents ...

• Like 3

On 19/06/2019 at 6:08 PM, MaxPlumage said:

... Besides, a manufacturer with a negative reputation won't last for too long in this business...

I would like to believe this, but I can't agree.  For example, Monster Cable.  Their competitors had a better reputation for quality than Monster.  And Monster have been documented doing some rather dodgy demonstrations to make over-inflated claims.  However, their market share (as an early entrant in the "quality" interconnect market) and huge marketing budget ensured that they have held a large market share for decades.

• Like 1