Hey All.

So I am wanting to get a DAC and Headphone AMP, either as one unit or a stack is fine.

$500 budget.

No real preference for sound, just clean, natural, no excess bass or treble boost.

Will be plugged into PC of cause, so USB, Toslink and so on will be handy.

Also got about $300 for a closed set of headphones with similar sounding characteristics.

Suggestions will be very helpful thanks, must be able to buy online from a decent seller, no dodgy over sea's stuff please.

Not sure what or whom you might consider to be "dodgy overseas" sellers.

I recently purchased a Topping DX3Pro direct from these folk for an acquaintance and found them to be prompt and responsive.

It sounded more than acceptable to me and I do own much more upmarket gear.

Shure SRH 940 from StoreDJ will pair well with it, although I preferred my open back ATH-AD1000X which worked really well with it.  I am partial to AT cans generally though.  The Shure are very even handed if a little more prosaic.

Posted (edited)

I didn't really mean dodgy, I just don't like buying from over seas.

I currently use a Creative X7, which I thinks sounds quite good, but looking at reviews most Said it is average, so even a Schiit stack will be a fair upgrade. Was just checking if there are other options.

Edited by Eastley83

Posted (edited)

I looked at that Creative DAC when i first started my audio journey lol.

Thought it looked fairly versatile till I read reviews of it.

For the money it's not that great at all.

I'd look at Topping or SMSL for your budget.

I'm looking at the SMSL SU-8 or the Topping D50 for my 2.1 setup.

I think using my OPPO 205 is a lil overkill;)

Hope this helps.

Edited by BIG DWIFTER

20 minutes ago, BIG DWIFTER said:

I looked at that Creative DAC when i first started my audio journey lol.

Thought it looked fairly versatile till I read reviews of it.

It's quality is easily the same, if not a tad better if you use USB > DAC than any Creative Internal card they have released, like a Zx series and so on, but you get higher sampling over USB, and a slight noise reduction. The Headphone AMP in it is great, it is clean and drives most things I will ever buy. The AMP fucntions I use sometimes, I had no issues driving a set of Polk RTi A7's,

The issue with the X7 is not really what it does, it that the market shifted as it got released. The X7 is a great all rounder, can do it all, sound slightly better than any ZxR Internal card with a few extra handy functions. But the Market shifted towards proper DAC's and Headphone AMPS at it's release, and these separate components, if made by a well known company, sounded a bit better again.

A Schiit Stack can be had for just over $400 at the moment, and is probably my better option, it is an upgrade in audio quality from the X7.

Like the look of the Topping D50, only Amazon seem to have it.

The DX3Pro is also available through Amazon if that is your preference.

A good headamp section with plenty of drive and a DAC that did not embarass itself when compared to an iFi iDSD Micro Black Label.

I agree with the topping.
They make the best budget dacs as far as I am concerned

Parasound Zdac v2 are pretty good :)

Grace M900 Dac/Amp, super clean headphone section with tonnes of headroom,  im biased as i own/use one :) I prefer it to my previous parasound and chord mojo dacs,  which while sound amazing impart their own sound signature to some extent, the grace is very neutral. 

Posted (edited)

Audio gd r2r 11 is a another option

Edited by barbz127

Posted (edited)

Another vote for the little Pro-Ject Pre Box. Had one for a week driving my main system when the DAC of choice was out of action. Really very good for its price - I was hardly aware of any deficits in the sound at all.

edit: was not using the headphone out - so unsure of about good its amplifier is

Edited by n0bleINtP

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By arcas
      Item: Bryston BDA-2 Silver

Price: 1900, open to reasonable offers

Item Condition: Used, in excellent condition

Reason for selling: No longer required

Payment Method: Pickup - Cash preferred, other methods possible

Extra Info: Purchased in June 2014, unfortunately now just out of warranty. Have had no issues at all with the unit. Does not come with remote as I didn't purchase one.

Would prefer local buyer so no postage required.

PM for more info.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Believe1980s
      Item:  Pro-Ject Tube Box S Phono Preamplifier Sliver And Black Finish - Vinyl Pre-Amp
      Price: $380
      Item Condition: Mint / 99% New
      Reason for selling: Already have amplifier with Phono input
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, COD
      Extra Info:

Pro-Ject Tube Box S Phono Preamplifier Sliver And Black Finish - Vinyl Pre-Amp.
      Only open for test! Under warranty.
      Pro-Ject Tube Box S Phono Preamplifier
      The sonic quality of the Tube Box S is extremely impressive; a big improvement from the Phono Box S, and an audiophile upgrade for most analogue hi-fi systems. With a wide range of settings parameters, it can meet the needs of almost any phono cartridge on the market. Carefully selected audiophile-grade components make it possible to enjoy your valuable vinyl collection like never before!
      The class-leading music reproduction of the Tube Box S gives pure dynamics, full transparency, analogue warmth, bass texture, detail resolution and purity for all audible frequencies.
        Features
      • Audiophile Performance
      • Audiophile-grade ECC83 (12AX7)
      • Dual mono configuration
      • Audiophile-grade polypropylene WIMA capacitors
      • Precise RIAA equalisation
      • Switchable input impedance/capacitance
      • 3 adjustable gain levels
      • Subsonic filter
      • Outstanding sound quality

Technical Specifications
      Input impedance 10/100/1k/2k ohms(MC)/ 47k ohms (MM)
      Input capacitance 50/150/270/370pF
      Gain switch 41/51/61dB
      Signal-to-noise ratio MM (41 dB): 84dB (94dB – IEC -A)
      MC (51/61 dB): 67dB (75dB - IEC -A)
      THD 0.01% MM/ 0.05% MC
      RIAA deviance max. 0,4dB / 20Hz - 20kHz
      Subsonic filter -12dB @ 20Hz (non switchable)
      In/Out sockets 1 pair RCA connectors
      Power consumption 470mA / < 1 watt in standby
      Oversized power supply 18Volt DC/1000mA
      Dimensions (WxHxD) 103 x 74 x 104 mm
      103 x 74 x 115 mm (with sockets)
      Weight 810g net

Photos:

• By palexsia
      Item: brand new sennheiser HD 650
      Price: $450
      Item Condition: new in box 
      Reason for selling: try to use headphone but don’t like after 10’
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash , bank deposit 
      Extra Info: bought brand new in box from member , try for 10’ And don’t like headphone feel so uncomfortable.

• By MAXXX
      Item: Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1, with femto clock upgrade
      Price: Withdrawn
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only

Extra Info: Great DAC, excellent condition.
      Femto clock upgraded by the dealer, DeepHZAudio (2015.). It comes with original box and manual.
      Postage for Aus metro areas $35 via StarTrack couriers with tracking (or organize your own courier for pickup).
      Payment to bank account or PayPal as friend (no fees).
      Happy to demo for local buyers.

https://wyred4sound.com/sites/default/files/DAC-1-LEMANUALv1.pdf

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue51/wyred.htm

Femto-Grade Master Clock Option*
      Accuracy and overall quality of the master clock are crucial to obtaining optimum sound quality. The standard clock is no slouch but you now have the option to upgrade to the highest grade component available in its class. Implementation of this femto grade clock optimizes audio quality by lowering phase jitter by over 80% as well as greatly reducing phase noise in the digital circuit. Clocks of this grade are typically found in DAC's retailing for $6K or more.

Wyred4Sound DAC 1. This is the final DAC. You need no other. This is the sound of the recordings you love. It too gets out of the way but even more so. Perhaps better internal parts make for its powerful presentation, richness, authority, cleanness and overwhelming detail retrieval. But it’s not 'detail', it’s not 'resolution'. It’s hyper reality of the kind the musician hears before his music is transformed from sweat and blood into product. I don’t understand how Wyred4 Sound managed but they’re holding up the bar mighty high while we enjoy the music.    

• By portent
      Item: Rega Dac available with Audiophilleo 1
      Price: $450 with Audiophilleo 1 Reduced
      Item Condition: Rega Dac excellent -  Audiophilleo has dimmed led's on display and remote trigger wire needs replacement
      Reason for selling: Purchased a new DAC
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Rega DAC in excellent condition with Audiophilleo 1 (please see description for Audiophilleo 1) The Audiophilleo 1 allows for a SPDIF to USB connection and provides the ability to run audio formats up to 24bit 192khz on Windows with their driver installed or the the native driver on Mac. Great sounding DAC and great value at this price..