Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
furtherpale

Value 4K Atmos spinner

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi

 

I’m a hardcore 2 channel guy. I sorted a NAD758v3 for the Mrs, Dali Ikon Speakers. We have a 70” Sony LED ($2k... so probably considered average in videophile circles).

 

I can wax lyrical on anything 2 channel, HT is a weak point.

 

Seeking recommendations on a 4K UHD/Atmos playing spinner that’s not ‘too good’ for what we have, and not a POS.

 

<$500 preferably, willing to go over if there is a good reason.

 

Fire away!

Edited by furtherpale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi furtherpale,

 

have you considered the Sony UBP-X700 Compact 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player, pricing is around $300 and as you have a Sony already may reduce the need for a number of remotes. I have had a Sony HD player for 8 years and it is still going strong in a second system.

Sony.png.fa3b24829794a37067d33eea7b995de5.png

 

 

Reviews:

 

https://www.whathifi.com/us/sony/ubp-x700/review

 

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/sony-ubp-x700-review/

 

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-ubp-x700

 

JJ

Edited by Janjuc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi furtherpale,

 

have you considered the Sony UBP-X700 Compact 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player, pricing is around $300 and as you have a Sony already may reduce the need for a number of remotes. I have had a Sony HD player for 8 years and it is still going strong in a second system.

Sony.png.fa3b24829794a37067d33eea7b995de5.png

 

 

Reviews:

 

https://www.whathifi.com/us/sony/ubp-x700/review

 

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/sony-ubp-x700-review/

 

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-ubp-x700

 

JJ

That’s awesome... worth spending more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

That’s awesome... worth spending more?

Hi,

 

I suppose it gets down to what features you want, might be a plan to take some of your favourite disks to a retailer and see if you you can compare different players on the same model as your TV.

 

JJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi,

 

I suppose it gets down to what features you want, might be a plan to take some of your favourite disks to a retailer and see if you you can compare different players on the same model as your TV.

 

JJ

Don’t have any yet :0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option is the pana 420 furtherpale . It has whats considered very good HDR bitmapping [ either by doing it itself or matching your panels capabilities ] It has the same HCX processor chipset as the dearer 850 and uses an upscaling multitap process to convert 10 bit standard UHD to 12bit  unlike others. 

 

However if you are going to upgrade your tele to a UHD model that accepts dolby vision ; the sony Janjuc said is compatible ; the pana is not [ you have to go to the  .850 for that] ; the 420 can do HDR10+

Both models handle standard HDR10 which is mandatory for UHD discs ..

 

Should mention too ;you need a UHD tele with hdmi 2.0a or 2.0b to receive the WCG and HDR that UHD is all about . Otherwise older tvs may have to bitmap the quality down eg a hdmi 1.4 tv can accept 4k resolution but you need the latest hdcp protocol 2.2 to get the goodies .

 

Have a read of this [ its a bit dated ] to see why hdcp is important ;)

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, cwt said:

Another option is the pana 420 furtherpale . It has whats considered very good HDR bitmapping [ either by doing it itself or matching your panels capabilities ] It has the same HCX processor chipset as the dearer 850 and uses an upscaling multitap process to convert 10 bit standard UHD to 12bit  unlike others. 

 

However if you are going to upgrade your tele to a UHD model that accepts dolby vision ; the sony Janjuc said is compatible ; the pana is not [ you have to go to the  .850 for that] ; the 420 can do HDR10+

Both models handle standard HDR10 which is mandatory for UHD discs ..

 

Should mention too ;you need a UHD tele with hdmi 2.0a or 2.0b to receive the WCG and HDR that UHD is all about . Otherwise older tvs may have to bitmap the quality down eg a hdmi 1.4 tv can accept 4k resolution but you need the latest hdcp protocol 2.2 to get the goodies .

 

Have a read of this [ its a bit dated ] to see why hdcp is important ;)

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

My TV is HDR, but I don’t t believe Dolby vision*?

 

KD-70X6700E

 

First I’ve heard the term.

Edited by furtherpale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

My TV is HDR, but I don’t t believe Dolby vision*?

 

KD-70X6700E 

 

First I’ve heard the term.

Found a sony compatibility chart and the page for your tv ; ; https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kd-70x6700e/specifications

 https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kd-70x6700e/articles/00201530

 

Yes a year out for DV but is compatible with HDCP and HDR10 ; which is the main thing :) What Dolby vision and HDR10+ do is calculate the hdr scene by scene rather than an average of the whole movie . Good but not worth upgrading a tv for an increment ; especially by a good bitmapping player ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Sony UBP-X700 Compact 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

 

One remote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, cwt said:

Found a sony compatibility chart and the page for your tv ; ; https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kd-70x6700e/specifications

 https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kd-70x6700e/articles/00201530

 

Yes a year out for DV but is compatible with HDCP and HDR10 ; which is the main thing :) What Dolby vision and HDR10+ do is calculate the hdr scene by scene rather than an average of the whole movie . Good but not worth upgrading a tv for an increment ; especially by a good bitmapping player ..

Ty! So UBP-X700?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, cwt said:

Found a sony compatibility chart and the page for your tv ; ; https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kd-70x6700e/specifications

 https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kd-70x6700e/articles/00201530

 

Yes a year out for DV but is compatible with HDCP and HDR10 ; which is the main thing :) What Dolby vision and HDR10+ do is calculate the hdr scene by scene rather than an average of the whole movie . Good but not worth upgrading a tv for an increment ; especially by a good bitmapping player ..

All good... would change a cable (I have some that cost more than the TV) or a component on the 2 channel system before swapping the TV.

 

we just want to get the best out of what we have without going over the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, furtherpale said:

Ty! So UBP-X700?

Trying not to play favourites but since dolby vision isn't in play ;the 420 has comprehensive HDR optimiser settings to better match your panel or even projector and the HCX processor is 2nd generation [better than the 1st in a ubd900 ;their 1st THX machine] which is also used in the 1.5k 9000.... 

 

Heres a review that shows how it can take over the tone mapping if you prefer a choice depending on your 6700e;s handling it ; has a handy adjustment on the remote too ; I use a harmony though.. too many remotes😉

https://allhomecinema.com/review-panasonic-dp-ub420-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player/

Edited by cwt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

Ty all... will probably get the Sony for the convenience.

 

I understand there may be better... but HT is realistically a secondary consideration for us (I’ve spent $1k on a single record... and $3.6k on my speaker cable it’s all about the two channel here).

 

ty again... I genuinely value the input.

Edited by furtherpale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...