Melbourne Repairer for My Akai Cassette Deck

Have an Akai GXC 760D Cassette Deck.

Built like a tank and has heads that more or less never wear out.

Purchased it 41 years ago would you believe?

Been happy with it down through the years.

However, when I turn it on now the red 'record' button is permanently on.

Would like to get it repaired and serviced to return it to its original condition.

Can anyone recommend someone good in Melbourne.

Thanks.

Much appreciated.

Bruce

• Like 1

Thanks for the help Doug.

Look, I'm thinking that the problem with being stuck on record is like a motivator.

I am thinking that, after forty years, it might be time to get it thoroughly check out including alignment, a good clean and checking any electrical components (maybe capacitors?) that might need replacement.

I can't say that I am looking to get another forty one years out of it, but another twenty would be fantastic!!!

Yes, I have a collection of tapes that only ever appeared in cassette form and it would be nice to listen to them.

So, if I could find some Melbourne guy who could check it out, fix it up and return it to me 'new' that would be a great outcome.

Thanks again for your help Doug.

Bruce

Guest Simonon

I have rebuilt 2 of these decks and they are built like tanks but difficult to work on. You really need an old school tech with experience on these. I found this guy on Gumtree under the audio category. His name is Jorge and he is located at Ringwood in Victoria.
I would recommend him and his experience listed below. Maybe look up Gumtree and call him.
Cassette deck repairs, restoration and service; offered by qualified and experienced "vintage Technician"
My fully equipped electronics workshop is at my home in Ringwood North, you can trust the quality of my work!
I also repair "vintage" audio equipment, like: Stereo Amplifier, Receiver, Turntable, Cassette deck, Reel to Reel tape recorder, Speaker, Audio mixer , Walkman cassette player,
I truly am one of the few "vintage" audio electronics technician, who are not yet in Heaven! I completed Valve amps Stereo solid state Hifi and early TV course in 1972, then completed my education in electronics at Sydney Technical College in 1977.
1974 to 1985, I was trained by German and Japanese manufacturers of Hi-end Hi-Fi audio equipment and worked as an Audio Electronics tech for these distributors in Sydney and Melbourne including Goldring engineering, kenwood, and Klap Electronics in Mel.

Aiwa, Akay, AWA, B & O, Blaupunkt, Denon, Dual, Garrard, Grundig, Harman Kardon, HMV, Kenwood, Kriesler, Luxman, Marantz, Nakamishi, Mormende, Onkyo, Phillips, Pioneer, Revox, Rotel, Saba, Sansui, Sanyo, Sharp, Sony, Teac, Technics, Telefunken, Thorn, Toshiba and Yamaha.
Please contact me for Service, repairs or restoration work. The hourly rate is $95 per hour.
Jorge the "vintage Technician"

Regards
Simon46a8ac029515fb95b07240b9ef9a9a5f.jpg

Guest Simonon
Thanks for the help Doug.
Look, I'm thinking that the problem with being stuck on record is like a motivator.
I am thinking that, after forty years, it might be time to get it thoroughly check out including alignment, a good clean and checking any electrical components (maybe capacitors?) that might need replacement.
I can't say that I am looking to get another forty one years out of it, but another twenty would be fantastic!!!
Yes, I have a collection of tapes that only ever appeared in cassette form and it would be nice to listen to them.
So, if I could find some Melbourne guy who could check it out, fix it up and return it to me 'new' that would be a great outcome.
Thanks again for your help Doug.
Bruce
The 2 Gxc760d units in my posession both had new belts, motor bush lubed and speed adjusted to spec. One had an erratic Vu meter and intermittent channel which I traced to some troublesome Hitachi 2sc458 transistors in the playback circuit. Depending on the serial number your unit may have these transistors. Both of mine had numerous dry solder joints and I replaced the power supply capacitors. One unit is waiting for new pinch rollers as I have a tape skewing issue on it. These are proving difficult to procure from my supplier at present.
They are great decks and sound fantastic.
They use a discrete logic control so I suspect you have an electronic fault in this area. A competent tech will be able to fix. You may have the same supply issue as one of my units if it needs pinch rollers however.

Been able to find someone from this forum.

Delivering my cassette deck for repairs tomorrow.

Looking forward getting it sorted.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Bruce

• 3 months later...

Had my Akai deck repaired by Tubularbells.

I have it back and had a good listen and I am super pleased.

You know, in life, sometimes your expectations are met and quire infrequently they are exceeded.

Well, mark this one down as exceeded!!

Did a great job and I am very happy.

I recommend him wholeheartedly!

Anything I say just does not do him justice!

Thanks again.

Bruce

• 10 months later...
On 19/10/2019 at 9:17 PM, BruceS said:

Had my Akai deck repaired by Tubularbells.

I have it back and had a good listen and I am super pleased.

You know, in life, sometimes your expectations are met and quire infrequently they are exceeded.

Well, mark this one down as exceeded!!

Did a great job and I am very happy.

I recommend him wholeheartedly!

Anything I say just does not do him justice!

Thanks again.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I have googled Tubularbells but can't seem to find them. Where are they located and can you tell me how much you paid for the service please?

The recording mechanism on my Yamaha deck is now playing up so will need it serviced. I am looking at contacting Jorge mentioned earlier in the post, but was just curious as to your outcome.

Many thanks

Gareth

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gareth

Sorry to be so slow to respond.

Yes, Tubular bells is the guy further up this thread.

I cannot recommend him enough.

He found replacement parts and also adapted other parts for the repair/refurbishment.

He went to a lot of trouble for me and he always kept in full contact with me.

As regards price, I felt that he charged me way less than he should (given the effort he put in) but I paid he what he asked.

Actually I felt a bit guilty afterward that I did not pay him more!!

Charged less than $200.

I can assure you that he will not overcharge!

The tape deck was fifty years old and there are heaps of things that you don't even think of that need to be attended to.

All the best on getting your tape deck sorted.

Bruce

• 1 year later...

I have a question to ask hopefully someone here may know the answer. I have an Akai GX r88 tape deck which I've had since the 80s. I pulled it out and plugged it in and to me sounds like it's going to need a service and new belts.

Would anybody know the best place to take it too.

Many thanks Shane.