Noob simplified budget setup advice

Gday everybody. while not new to car audio and surround sound, I have decided to step in to the quality 2.0 setup. I am currently waiting to take delivery of some Adelaide built ascension floor standing speakers. I was very impressed when given the demo by the builder! My initial intention was to possibly do a 2.1 or 3.1 setup but I have decided to try and focus on just 2.0 and getting it done right. I went for the units with the 12" drivers to make up for any lack of bass as all my car and HT stuff has subs. I had purchased a pretty powerful Cambridge AVR as I thought it would be a good middle of the range unit for music or HT if I went that way but now I believe I'll just focus on stereo instead. I have another room with an ample HT setup if I need anyways.

After looking into stereo amplifiers I just cant go past the aesthetics of the 1970s units- (marantz 2325 era and styling). My plan was to run everything through my new smart tv as it does everything. Obviously spotify, netflix, plex and whatever else. Any of my favorite music I already have stored as flac so I will just stream through plex. The reason I'd like to do it this way is I have just become so accustomed to running everything through my smartphone as the UI's are all so good and I can use it anywhere within my home.

So this brings me to my questions. As my tv only has an optical out for sound, would it be ok to get something like the Topping d30 to feed the digital signal to the stereo amp? This way all inputs are in the tv and fed through the optical so I never have to worry about any audio switching of the amp. (unless I decide to add a record player in the future). I presume I could then set my xboxonex, cable tv and any other peripherals to stereo.

Has anyone here done a similar setup? Are there any limitations or any issues with downsampling etc or would that be dependant on my model of tv?I still want to try to give the speaker their best chance to perform as well as they can.

My other option would be not using the DAC and stereo amp but something like this, it would allow me to add a sub in the future if I felt the need;

Denon PMA-60S

Cheers people, I have done many many searches within the site but cant find any info specific into what I proposed so I'm worried there may be something I'm missing here!

Edit: This setup will be used for gaming, blu-ray, netflix and TV etc also.

Edited by SpartsMcdoods

• 2 weeks later...

In response to one of your questions, the Topping D30 seems amazing value to me  I’m using one for Spotify/Netflix and disc playback connected to the digital output of a Sony BluRay player, then into a Denon stereo amp and some Dali speakers (2.0 only). The sound is a genuinely pleasant surprise all the time and it’s super convenient. 

I’m in the process of switching to a different setup but for a digital source (transport and DAC) that costs similar money to my first CD player in 1991, it’s a great solution IMO. 

• Like 1

Im using a Pro-ject  Dac box e  from my Tv  to hifi system  

Can hide it where you want  as no power buttons 

My Tv has optical only out 

I wanted  something  simple 

Have a  look on ebay   $149  Delivered 

• Like 1

My system is setup the same way as you are planning.  Everything is HDMI to the TV and the one Optical out from the TV goes to the Arcam DAC, then pre-amp, power amps, speakers.  

I find the TV passes the digital signal through without messing with it.  The only limitation is that most DACs have resolution limits on the optical input, so for 24 bit FLAC files you might need to connect a source to the USB input on the DAC.

For 2.1 don't be too worried about having an amp with a subwoofer output, this can be overcome by using the high pass inputs if a sub has one (Rel is a brand that do it well). The high-pass cable connects from the speaker cables on the amp to the sub, crossover and volume taken care at the sub end.

3.1 is a game changer though, you'll need an AVR for that which will have all of the inputs/outputs you will need.

On 13/06/2019 at 10:24 PM, SpartsMcdoods said:

After looking into stereo amplifiers I just cant go past the aesthetics of the 1970s units- (marantz 2325 era and styling). My plan was to run everything through my new smart tv as it does everything. Obviously spotify, netflix, plex and whatever else. Any of my favorite music I already have stored as flac so I will just stream through plex. The reason I'd like to do it this way is I have just become so accustomed to running everything through my smartphone as the UI's are all so good and I can use it anywhere within my home.

So this brings me to my questions. As my tv only has an optical out for sound, would it be ok to get something like the Topping d30 to feed the digital signal to the stereo amp? 

The Sansui's of that era are beautiful. AU-4900, 5900, 6900, 7900. The black face units basically. @pete_mac will name some others that are worthy.

I run my Sony optical into a Schiit Modi 2 Uber then into my stereo amp. Sounds lovely. There is a Modi 3 now. The Topping is just as good if not better.

15613583446681912917032646545358.thumb.jpg.ee1bb43675ab7e05468bdac617bb411c.jpg

15613583780058380010928931406925.thumb.jpg.e7d9317e5229eb02ac84bc41b1a680e1.jpg

Edited by blakey72
  • Like 1