The Game of Fillums

As the "Name That Flick" thread has proved to be such fun (one of my personal faves on SNA), here is another one that may complement it. Please post movies that you like, dislike or have some connection to or a significant/fun/gross/whatever fact about it. If at all possible a blurb about your take on the fillum / connection with the said fillum. As well as a still from it or it's poster.

The NAME of the film should if possible follow ONE of these rules:

EITHER:

1. include a word from the previous film title eg

Post1: Ghosts of Mars (2001) ------ Post 2. Mars Attacks! (1996)

OR

2. be inspired from an association to the previous film eg:

Post 1: Ghosts of Mars (2001)

Post 2: Ghosts of Mars > John Carpenter > carpenter > Joseph > Jesus > Last Temptation of Christ (1988) 

So it's a flipside to the "Name That Flick" thread as there's no guessing but rather a flow of flicks that I hope will complement well.

And it borrows the rules from the 2 song title threads "The Song Game" and "Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Chained"

Edited by zippi
  • Like 1

Yeah man!

The Clockwork Orange

image.thumb.png.c4184319887b95eb0255993ef4c49f73.png

I remember seeing an analysis of this Kubrick classic on TV in ex-YU back in 80s and just had to pick my bottom jaw of the floor - could a movie be really this odd, what sorta clowns suits are they wearing, ,what is this exactly.

I would have been about 8-9 yo at the time and luckily they didn't show much violence etc... The tv show was called "The Cinema Eye" (Kino Oko) or "The Cinemateque" (Kinoteka) there were 2 going at the time.

Edited by zippi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zippi said:

Oranges and Sunshine (2010)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

I didn’t enjoy this movie when I started watching it, but as I began to understand what was going on and what it as about, I ended up loving it.  I really enjoy Jim Carrey in dramatic roles.

Edited by Kaynin
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

The Mind Benders.

Hmmm, a bit before my time, nor my genre, so I had to seek inspiration from Google to see who was in it!

Dirk Bogarde -> Dirk Diggler -> Boogie Nights (1997).  

This has one of my favourite actors in it, WIlliam H. Macy.

Edited by Kaynin
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

This has one of my favourite actors in it, WIlliam H. Macy. 

William H. - William Hurt- Kiss of the Spider Woman, which I saw in Brighton when it was first released, 3 marvellous actors who were all relatively knew to the game.

William Hurt

Raul Julia who will probably be for ever known as Gomez Adams

Sonia Braga who I could simply watched with the sound down.

It doesn't live in my memory all too vividly but I think I enjoyed it at the time, did I mention Sonia Braga was in it?

aaahhhhh Sonia.

• Like 2

Kiss of the Spider Woman -> Woman In Gold (2015)

regarding this painting -

220px-Woman_in_Gold_(UK_poster).jpg.1372afd0811a849f7309a1ce9832e9e7.jpg

Helen Mirren is excellent, but the story is just a fantastic tale.  Incredible what some people have to go through in life.

• Like 3

Gold > Ecstasy of Gold > Ennio Morricone > Spaghetti Western > Sergio Leone > Once Upon A Time in The West

image.png.6d9b17bf262eee4cc87c4ae0be723a31.png

image.png.e38839abd1e977c980963d640c12fea6.png

image.png.e0a374855955a0e111bda28c24d44565.png

image.png.ff1af044a66ef4f90176c6770f626fe8.png

image.png.f58e22116a4967827890ad3faa8dabbf.png

Thi Sergio Leone epic is the definition of Western genre for me. The best work Henry Fonda has done. Charles Bronson is standard vigilante Charles, however Jason Robards and Claudia Cardinale really steal the show for me, And those Sergio Leone cinemascope eyes/face close up shots. Morricones music is sublime.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, zippi said:

Jason Robards

Jason Robards- Originally picked to play Fitzcarraldo in Werner Herzogs film of the same name.  I was a fanatical fan of Herzog although never a convinced fan of Klaus Kinski his sometime friend and possible murderer and hauptdarsteller in a number of his films.  Herzog is a thoroughly interesting guy to listen to when he speaks of his life, his art, his travels etc an autobiography would be welcome but I know of no such beast.

Back to Herzog's film and no it's not Fitzcarraldo but a very beautiful film about his friend Kinski, "My Best Friend"

index.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zippi said:

it just has that Herzog edge.

Couldn't agree more, even his Bad Lieutenant: New Orleans with Nicholas Cage had that typical Herzog pacing that made it goodly strange.

I always had a little trouble with the sound quality of Herzog's films, the levels but it could have been a limitation of the times. He thought he was one of the very few and best directors for using music in on film and again I thought his use was a little overpowering but again maybe it was the levels.  I think Spike Lee may have taken a lead from Werner, his use of music was also primary and seemingly exaggerated in counterpoint to particular scenes, and I love Spike Lee.

I'd be interested in other's opinions on this.

Special shout out to SBS who introduced me to so much film, I remember Herzog and Fassbinder, KInski and Schygulla and so many others.

• Like 2

Stanley Kubrik - we could go full circle to the first film posted in A Clockwrok Orange, but...

Stanley Kubrik -> The Shining (1980)

I first saw this in my teens on the world's smallest TV, no surround sound to speak of, not even a sound bar - and it scared the crap out of me!

• Like 2

The Shining > Shine on > Crazy Diamond > Pink Floyd > Roger Waters >  John Waters - Pink Flamingos (1972)

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2014-10-05-stillofdivineinpinkflamingos1972largepicture.jpg

A film that arguably started John Water's slow and steady progression and ultimate breakthrough into mainstream (by the end of 80s and via Hairspray)

Edited by zippi
  • Like 1