Sign in to follow this  
Peter56

Harbeth SHL5+ to 40.2 ?

Guest Music monster
2 minutes ago, rantan said:

Most speaker threads end up being about Maggies.

It’s actually my fault,but I had Harbeths and wasn’t happy so advise to listen to Maggie’s for buying Harbeths. Gary the music monster 🎶

1 minute ago, buddyev said:

I think everyone was just cooling their heels waiting for you to come and tell us about Harbeths. 

Reminds me of the quote

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

1 hour ago, Music monster said:

The more power the better into Harbeths or magnapans. Pre and power under $10k I wouldn’t know. Get in contact with bill the distributor for Maggie’s in nsw and he is a very nice man and a expert on amplifiers to drive Maggie’s.one thing I know for sure is magnapans 20.7s are definitely a much better speaker than Harbeths.check out the reviews.  Gary the music monster 🎶

reading reviews are great and all but nothing beats your own ears. worst thing about these speakers is that i cannot demo them in Melbourne

7 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

They are on sale, I haven’t pushed them back  in the classified,  wasn’t all that desperate....   But if anyone wanna come down and have a listen by all means PM me....  they are being driven by Sanders Electronics, the go to electronics that pair well with Maggie’s...   @genkifd  I’m in Melb Western suburbs, if your prepared to spend the time let me know..

Sorry to butt in I'm keen to take on your offer. Been wanting to hear a decent Maggie setup. PM details thanks.

Guest Music monster

Totally agree trust your own ears. The reason there’s no dealers in Melbourne is the low profit margins on the magnapans. Bill McLean is a retailer and distributor of Maggie’s and he’s a good man . I’m sure he would like to help you out. I was blown away with the 1.7s which is Maggie’s no 1 selling model.i than ordered there flagship 30.7s. The 1.7s have a sound that is nothin like a box speaker. It has width, height and depth and openness  in sound that box speakers cart match at any where near there price.if you get to hear a pair you will c what I mean. Gary the music monster 🎶

4 hours ago, Music monster said:

Totally agree trust your own ears. The reason there’s no dealers in Melbourne is the low profit margins on the magnapans. Bill McLean is a retailer and distributor of Maggie’s and he’s a good man . I’m sure he would like to help you out. I was blown away with the 1.7s which is Maggie’s no 1 selling model.i than ordered there flagship 30.7s. The 1.7s have a sound that is nothin like a box speaker. It has width, height and depth and openness  in sound that box speakers cart match at any where near there price.if you get to hear a pair you will c what I mean. Gary the music monster 🎶

If the 1.7s just lacks bass, wouldn't that be solved with a sub?

23 minutes ago, Mach3 said:

If the 1.7s just lacks bass, wouldn't that be solved with a sub?

Yes.

Guest Music monster

The 1.7s had enough bass for me in my room it’s just not a powerful bass or deep bass, but it’s clean and tight and will never fatigue you. Gary the music monster 🎶

to my ears so far after listening to about 5 pairs of wonderful speakers, the 40.2 are still highly regarded. gives me something the others speakers have yet to provide.

Guest Music monster
21 minutes ago, genkifd said:

to my ears so far after listening to about 5 pairs of wonderful speakers, the 40.2 are still highly regarded. gives me something the others speakers have yet to provide.

I had the 40.2s and wasn’t happy with them and sold them of cheap. I now use magnapans 30.7s . But if they do it for you go for them,they certainly are good speakers . Cheers gary the music monster 🎶

Guest Music monster
29 minutes ago, genkifd said:

Trust me, if you herd my 30.7s you will know how much a compromise the Harbeths are? Cheers gary the music monster 🎶

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Trust me, if you herd my 30.7s you will know how much a compromise the Harbeths are? Cheers gary the music monster 🎶

Not all that helpful really is it? Your Maggies are nearly 3 x  price of the Harbeth 40s and 7 or 8 x price of the SHL 5. 

Edited by buddyev

26 minutes ago, Music monster said:

You need to ease up on the magnepan kool-aid

2 minutes ago, Yngvi said:

Indeed.

There is enthusiasm, which is fine, but after that, there is dogma and evangelism, which isn't.

Guest Music monster
14 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Not all that helpful really is it? Your Maggie’s are nearly 3 x  price of the Harbeth 40s and 7 or 8 x price of the SHL 5. 

I’m not putting down the Harbeths and I am entitled to my opinion. I didn’t like the Harbeths , and there overpriced, that’s my personal opinion. Gary the music monster 🎶

Guest Music monster
7 minutes ago, Yngvi said:

Don’t c way I need to ease up, Im not doing anything wrong, if that’s what they like I’m happy for them. Gary the music monster 🎶