Harbeth SHL5+ to 40.2 ?

If youre in this price range and in melbourne you have to go listen to the avantgarde zeros at maxmedia. 

I went from harbeth to the zeros, they are a completley different sound to the harbeths

I was listening to harbeths again a couple of  weeks ago and realised why I loved the sound in the passed and thought maybe I should go back to them but went home and there was no contest with the zeros.

Guest Music monster
1 minute ago, gypr1961 said:

If youre in this price range and in melbourne you have to go listen to the avantgarde zeros at maxmedia. 

I went from harbeth to the zeros, they are a completley different sound to the harbeths

I was listening to harbeths again a couple of  weeks ago and realised why I loved the sound in the passed and thought maybe I should go back to them but went home and there was no contest with the zeros.

Why not ,anything in your price range should be given a listen. I already have horns so looking for something different. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
5 minutes ago, genkifd said:

ATC SCM 50 ASLT

active may make things simplified - less issues with matching the amp.

ATC actives are definitely better than there passive versions. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
17 minutes ago, genkifd said:

they look great too.

And in my opinion they beat Harbeths , atc  and spendors. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
Just now, genkifd said:

seems like these Zeros only accepts digital source.

Interesting. I don’t know to much about that, but they certainly sound very good.gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
1 hour ago, genkifd said:

I think I should start a new topic and leave this for Harbeths.

Speakers recommendations around $20k Aud.

Good idea. Gary the music monster ?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, HiFi Collector Adelaide said:

We have them both. 40.2 are more resolving, bigger soundstage, ultra musical. They certainly are from the same heritage, but the 40.2 take things to another level! 

And so they should - they're 2 1/2 times the price! 

• Like 1

If the OP is still with us I was in your position with HL 5s driven with Luxman 507ux and was looking at the next level Harbeth but found the price even second-hand a bit out there so went with a what quite a few have found comparable
Tannoy Kennsington
these second-hand were just over double what the harbeth would fetch but absolutely worth it
New prices are ott but used
are fantastic value and look much much better according to Ms.Harfder

What are the room dimensions? In one of our rooms (3.7 x 5.5m) the HL5s actually sound better imo. In our larger 10x9m room the 40.2s show why they're 3x the price. You do get more body, a larger visceral impact, and just a greater sense of energy, but you're also losing the super tweeter and so I would say that transparency is slightly better in the HL5s. 

If your room is large enough, the 40.2s are supremely addictive and an absolute full-range speaker. They'd be my choice.

6 hours ago, Krispy Audio said:

What are the room dimensions? In one of our rooms (3.7 x 5.5m) the HL5s actually sound better imo. In our larger 10x9m room the 40.2s show why they're 3x the price. You do get more body, a larger visceral impact, and just a greater sense of energy, but you're also losing the super tweeter and so I would say that transparency is slightly better in the HL5s. 

If your room is large enough, the 40.2s are supremely addictive and an absolute full-range speaker. They'd be my choice.

Hi krispy, 

your Verity Audio Otello will have way more transparency and value for money compared to 40.2. Correct me if I’m wrong 

6 hours ago, Krispy Audio said:

Hi Krispy,

is this question about the previous post 10hrs before yours? If so, you want to know the room size of the Willis Room where the Melb. Audio Club had the Hulgich speakers and Holton amp playing.

The speakers were about 3m from side walls, about 5m apart, maybe a bit more, about 3m from front wall and at least 16m to rear wall. So maybe 11m X 19m. It's a big room.

Hey Joey, I was commenting on the original post (whether he should go up from HL5s to 40.2s). 

Audiome - They're near polar opposite the Veritys to the Harbeths, but a valid comment given pricing. I'm still yet to hear a speaker image better than Verity Audio, and if you're after linearity and absolute analogue tonal accuracy, they're the ones. But they won't touch the 40.2s for lower frequency body and richness, and the Harbeths (all of them) are the least fussy about upstream equipment that I've come across. If classical music is your poison, Verity all the way. If you're after a great all-rounder the Harbeths are an easy choice imo.