Sign in to follow this  
Peter56

Harbeth SHL5+ to 40.2 ?

Posted (edited)

Hello there, I was wondering if anyone here has gone from SLH5+ to 40.2s ? I currently have 5s and am considering 40.2s. I love the 5s, but i`ve got an itch. What can I expect if I go with this urge? Apart from the drain on my account. I`ll be driving them with a Luxman l509x.

Cheers.

Edited by Peter56

Will help if you at least mention that they are Harbeth speakers...

Well, if they dont know they are Harbeth's - your unlikely to get much useful input.

Have spent a bit of time with both. The biggest difference to me was the bass, but that will also be room dependent. I got the feeling a pair of subs with the SLH5+ would have been my personal preference over the 40.2 alone. If you are enjoying the Harbeth sound you will not be disappointed with the 40.2.

14 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Will help if you at least mention that they are Harbeth speakers...

Fixed!

A fellow SNA has a pair of 30.2 which I think are one of the best pair of speakers I have ever heard. If the 40s come near these you’ll have a great pair of speakers. 

yesterday i came back from about 1.5 hour listening session with the Harbeth 40.2 connected to the Accuphase E370 - Wow never heard a system (headphones or Speakers) better. it was detailed but not too bright, the mids had a lots of timber / 3D while the bass was detailed and had enough punch that i could make out each instrument. sound stage was also amazing.

At the beginning the 40.2 was plugged into luxman C-900U / M900u this had more meat in the mids but the highs wasnt as detailed.

You cant go wrong with either Accuphase or Luman paired with the 40.2. 

all i can say is WOW what a speaker. way better than my recent session with the Magico A3 / Vitus RI101.

Even he Goldenears Triton Reference was pretty awesome but imo the 40.2 was more my taste.

3 hours ago, genkifd said:

yesterday i came back from about 1.5 hour listening session with the Harbeth 40.2 connected to the Accuphase E370 - Wow never heard a system (headphones or Speakers) better. it was detailed but not too bright, the mids had a lots of timber / 3D while the bass was detailed and had enough punch that i could make out each instrument. sound stage was also amazing.

At the beginning the 40.2 was plugged into luxman C-900U / M900u this had more meat in the mids but the highs wasnt as detailed.

You cant go wrong with either Accuphase or Luman paired with the 40.2. 

all i can say is WOW what a speaker. way better than my recent session with the Magico A3 / Vitus RI101.

Even he Goldenears Triton Reference was pretty awesome but imo the 40.2 was more my taste.

You are kidding yourself or you are another harbeth cult member lol. 

Where did u hear magico a3 and what kind of room? Harbeth is hi fi period! I know it coz I had them! 

11 minutes ago, audiome said:

Where did u hear magico a3 and what kind of room? Harbeth is hi fi period! I know it coz I had them! 

Why the attitude?

Isn’t someone else allowed to voice their thoughts on their own experiences without being ridiculed?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TerryO said:

Why the attitude?

Isn’t someone else allowed to voice their thoughts on their own experiences without being ridiculed?

That’s honesty but I’m sorry if u take it as attitude. I guess we just have to be Mr nice in sna?

Edited by audiome

52 minutes ago, audiome said:

That’s honesty but I’m sorry if u take it as attitude. I guess we just have to be Mr nice in sna?

You don’t have to be “mr nice” but you can at least be polite about it.

I would much prefer the Harbeths over the Magico’s, just like @genkifd did. From the limited listening I have had of both brands I would pick Harbeth any day of the week.

48 minutes ago, audiome said:

No you don't.  You were merely stating your views, which you are quite entitled to do.  As for the 'Harbeth cult', well I suppose you could use the word 'cult' to describe any speaker that has developed a loyal following over the years, such as Lenehans.

I currently have 40.1s in my main system and 30.1s in my second system.  The only comments I'll make about the 40.2s are (a) they are over-priced IMO and you would probably be just as happy with a pair of secondhand 40.1s; and (b) feed them power.  Lots of power.  At least 250 Wpc.   I drive my 40.1s with a 75 Wpc valve power amp through a pair of MF 750 Superchargers.

Whatever guys... if u want to pay over 20k for harbeth boxes, crossovers and their marketing ... do it! 

Seriously, guys. You’re much better off getting something audiome subjectively enjoys rather than something you subjectively enjoy. It’s just science!

What is this, a hobby for enjoyment? *scoff*

7 hours ago, audiome said:

cult member of what this is my first time ever hearing of any harbeths. also magico A3s.  i thing youre one of those people who gets offensive when people dont like their product that you love. if everyone love the same thing life would be so boring.

get over it this is suppose to be fun.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, genkifd said:

cult member of what this is my first time ever hearing of any harbeths. also magico A3s.  i thing youre one of those people who gets offensive when people dont like their product that you love. if everyone love the same thing life would be so boring.

get over it this is suppose to be fun.

I’m definitely over it with this thread but not pursuing good system. Please do yourself a favourite by comparing a decent 20k speakers vs harbeth 20k side by side... Don’t have to be A3 can be anything else.

Ok guys... I got a bit of time off from work and reading sna for fun... well... I guess I’m opinionated and straight forward... I will be nice next time or maybe I should just be quiet like a few  sna member pm me to do so lol....

anyway good luck and enjoy 20k for those boxes and that crossover... oops I forgot their excellent marketing and their resale( so happy I didn’t loose much)

Edited by audiome

Calm down, boys. Calm down.