Antran

Changing new tubes

Hi everyone...I'm gonna to replaced my tubes soon... My gear is VTL amp and it using 6550C tubes... Which brand tubes should I got?? Thanks all..

Hi An, email VTL and see if there is a brand they recommend- mail@vtl.com

15 minutes ago, deanB said:

Hi An, email VTL and see if there is a brand they recommend- mail@vtl.com

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Antran said:

Ittaku

No problem. If you add @ in front of a name as you type it they'll get notification you mentioned them.

Svetlana Winged C 6550's always had had a great rep', they are NOS these days, and there are some factory seconds floating around that need to be avoided.

7 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Svetlana Winged C 6550's always had had a great rep', they are NOS these days, and there are some factory seconds floating around that need to be avoided.

Thanks @Muon N'

If you want something better than modern offerings and don't mind spending a tad bit more $, maybe look at 60-70's NOS units from likes of RCA, Sylvania made in the US. The 6550 is an American made tube and some of the best 6550's have naturally been the American offerings.

24 minutes ago, F18 said:

If you want something better than modern offerings and don't mind spending a tad bit more $, maybe look at 60-70's NOS units from likes of RCA, Sylvania made in the US. The 6550 is an American made tube and some of the best 6550's have naturally been the American offerings.

Thanks @F18 I'm being searching but either see Chinese and Russian made only...

If you email VTL ask them if you can use the KT88 tubes, or others in the  KT series.

He will most likely be able to use the KT88's without any dramas as they are spec'ed similar to the 6550 with higher plate dissipation. Other kinkless triodes I would avoid being substituted for either kt88/6550.

10 minutes ago, F18 said:

He will most likely be able to use the KT88's without any dramas as they are spec'ed similar to the 6550 with higher plate dissipation. Other kinkless triodes I would avoid being substituted for either kt88/6550.

Thanks @eman , @F18 coz I need 24 in total and 6 other small one.. I've email VTL,,no reply yet... Lot of Chinese and Russian made tubes on eBay and I a bit reluctant to buy Chinese made tube.. Not sure about Russian....

1 hour ago, Antran said:

I a bit reluctant to buy Chinese made tube.. Not sure about Russian....

These days those valves are ONLY made in China and Russia. Any USA (or other country) manufactured ones are all from the past.

Edited by Ittaku