OldVinylLover

AU power connector for my power cables

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dpauly said:

Hi, here is a link to some high quality AU plugs, from Hong Kong.  I have ordered 6 of them and am waiting for them to arrive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292002662401

Depends how you define ‘high quality’. ;)

These are designed to suit Chinese mains sockets which have a slightly different prong spacing and thickness to Australian plugs. They will generally fit Australian sockets, but not perfectly. 

They are are not Australian-standards complaint.

They are also 100% not copper conductors as described. They are brass. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as copper is softer and is more prone to snapping when manufactured with such a thin thickness. 

The only advantage that these Chinese plugs have over plugs from Clipsal, Martin Kaiser and HPM is the ability to accept large CSA wire. 

Edited by pete_mac

Are you saying you can't use your stuff until you change the plugs? If so, maybe you could get a travel adaptor or two, that would allow your current plugs to fit an Australian outlet. That way, you could still use your gear while looking for a more permanent solution.

Please note, though, that I don't know what quality of construction you would find in a travel adaptor, I simply suggest it as a stopgap measure. I'm happy to be shot down in flames if this is a poor idea.

Thanks guys,

I'll go for Furutech rhodium on the key electronics (the Optimum is a thick cable, but it's a general preference for quality/reliable connectors when it's about protecting expensive stuff...) and Clipsal for the rest...

Looking forward to have all the system in place... (deliver delayed once again...a nightmare)

Have a great week!

I just ordered these Au plugs from Hong Kong, and they were about $20 each including shipping.  They are essentially knock off Oyaide plugs, but they are great and will take up to 12g stranded wire as inserts.  Make sure that you solder your strands, so that you will have less difficulty inserting the ends into the plug, and then just use the set screws to attach.

Here is the ebay link to the plug shop.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292002662401?ul_noapp=true

best,

David

On 12/06/2019 at 11:10 PM, Jventer said:

I do have to mention that in Australia on a state by stae basis either your power cords or this power boards would be "illegal" as it does not conform to state based legislation.

State certification for electrical items is recognised Australia wide

41 minutes ago, dpauly said:

I just ordered these Au plugs from Hong Kong, and they were about $20 each including shipping.  They are essentially knock off Oyaide plugs, but they are great and will take up to 12g stranded wire as inserts.  Make sure that you solder your strands, so that you will have less difficulty inserting the ends into the plug, and then just use the set screws to attach.

best,

David

I cannot ID that these are legal in Australia ie 3rd party compliance to relevant mandatory Australian Standards, specifically

AS/NZS 3112, Approval and test specification - Plugs and socket-outlets

The test specs are quite rigorous, electrically & physically.

Edited by Gee Emm

1 hour ago, dpauly said:

best,

David

That's not really a good idea. Solder being malleable, but not resilient, will suffer from "creep" when put under pressure from the screws, and the terminations will work loose over time. A more appropriate method is to use bootlace ferrules over the end of the wires.

On 15/06/2019 at 7:52 PM, pete_mac said:

Depends how you define ‘high quality’. ;)

These are designed to suit Chinese mains sockets which have a slightly different prong spacing and thickness to Australian plugs. They will generally fit Australian sockets, but not perfectly. 

They are are not Australian-standards complaint.

They are also 100% not copper conductors as described. They are brass. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as copper is softer and is more prone to snapping when manufactured with such a thin thickness. 

The only advantage that these Chinese plugs have over plugs from Clipsal, Martin Kaiser and HPM is the ability to accept large CSA wire. 

19 hours ago, dpauly said:

best,

David

Thanks guys,

I'm not much into DIY, no soldering then (I don't even have the tool), but I can still do something with a screwdriver   :D