AU power connector for my power cables

Hi all,

just moved here (well...still waiting for my stuff from Europe...more than a month late...) and I have to change the connector to my power cables (all Schuko), can you kindly give me some advice?

My cables are mainly Isotek Optimum but also a few Van den Hul (have been moving to Isotek recently)

- so far I only found the FURUTECH FI-AU3112-N1, any other good suggestion? I couldn't find Oyaide, ...and the Furutech are in the 145-165 AUD range. Maybe something as good or better but cheaper is available?

- anyone that you know who could change and solder the connectors in Sydney?

Thank you!

There are very few Australian mains plug options out there, apart from the generic stuff.

A number of aftermarket cables use the following plugs on the Australian power cables, albeit covered with fancy heatshrink:

https://mcru.co.uk/product/martin-kaiser-aus-mains-plug/?v=6cc98ba2045f

https://www.clipsal.com/Trade/Products/ProductDetail?catno=1439SHD

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'

Not sure what mains your previous country had, but be aware that while on paper ours is 230vac, many of us enjoy....not! much higher voltages from our wall sockets, I get a steady 250vac here, some get higher, some fluctuate, and some get near the spec on paper.

And, welcome here :)

Edited by Muon N'

58 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

There are very few Australian mains plug options out there, apart from the generic stuff.

A number of aftermarket cables use the following plugs on the Australian power cables, albeit covered with fancy heatshrink:

https://mcru.co.uk/product/martin-kaiser-aus-mains-plug/?v=6cc98ba2045f

https://www.clipsal.com/Trade/Products/ProductDetail?catno=1439SHD

Thanks Pete, I will look at them. I have bought from MCRU a few times already...usually good prices.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Not sure what mains you previous country had, but be aware that while on paper ours is 230vac, many of use enjoy....not! much higher voltages from our wall sockets, I get a steady 250vac here, some get higher, some fluctuate, and some get near the spec on paper.

And, welcome here :)

Thanks Moun N'.

I moved a few times... (6 times in 9 years...) and you are right, sometimes voltage is unstable.
I have a pretty good power conditioner 

https://www.lab12.gr/gordian

The brand is not a major one but it does its job well and, most of all, doesn't impact the sound.

I use it for all the analogic electronics (i.e. excluding the informatic part that is under an UPS) except the power amp which is usually directly connected to wall socket.

The display shows power absorption and voltage too...so I will be able to see how it works in my area/building.

Thanks for the welcome!  :)

57 minutes ago, Krispy Audio said:

I haven’t come across any other than Furutech but if you’re getting a bunch I’d be happy to look into a bulk price. PM me if you need. 

You don’t want to solder mains cables, these just use a screw clamp.

Thank you, I will count them and let you know

Evening

One of the main brands in Australia is Clipsal, you can find it in most electrical shops and Bunnings.

You can then move up the chain, and  I agree with the previous posters.

Alternatively you can buy something like this, which I use for AUS and US power cords and would suit you existing power cords: https://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/product-page/consonance-pw-3-6-plug-shielded-power-board

I do have to mention that in Australia on a state by stae basis either your power cords or this power boards would be "illegal" as it does not conform to state based legislation.

• Like 1

Welcome to the country with the best mains power connectors and standards in the universe. We all know that more voltage -> more juice -> more magic pixies  -> better sound. So enjoy the land down under ~ 250V wonderland. 

Connectors - Clipsal is Ok - no need to go into exotics. 

BUT - be warned  - any mains voltage work has to be performed by a licenses electrician otherwise you will definitely go blind, or worst....your tool might  fall off. ??

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jventer said:

I do have to mention that in Australia on a state by stae basis either your power cords or this power boards would be "illegal" as it does not conform to state based legislation.

On a state by state? OMG   :D   Not exactly what you would consider as a "standard"...

10 hours ago, Krispy Audio said:

I haven’t come across any other than Furutech but if you’re getting a bunch I’d be happy to look into a bulk price. PM me if you need. 

You don’t want to solder mains cables, these just use a screw clamp.

Thank you, I will count them and let you know

Guest scumbag
On 12/06/2019 at 7:26 PM, OldVinylLover said:

Hi all,

just moved here (well...still waiting for my stuff from Europe...more than a month late...) and I have to change the connector to my power cables (all Schuko), can you kindly give me some advice?

My cables are mainly Isotek Optimum but also a few Van den Hul (have been moving to Isotek recently)

- so far I only found the FURUTECH FI-AU3112-N1, any other good suggestion? I couldn't find Oyaide, ...and the Furutech are in the 145-165 AUD range. Maybe something as good or better but cheaper is available?

- anyone that you know who could change and solder the connectors in Sydney?

Thank you!

The Furutech are great plugs but I’d thoroughly recommend the rhodium plated ones as the gold ones score easily as the copper underneath is quite soft.

21 hours ago, scumbag said:

The Furutech are great plugs but I’d thoroughly recommend the rhodium plated ones as the gold ones score easily as the copper underneath is quite soft.

Thanks,

I haven't any rhodium plated connector,...any perceivable difference vs gold?

Guest scumbag
57 minutes ago, OldVinylLover said:

Thanks,

Not that I can hear but I'd choose it simply for practical reasons. 

Edited by scumbag

4 hours ago, OldVinylLover said:

Thanks,

I have found from comparisons that Rhodium sound more neutral than Gold.

• Like 1

Guest scumbag
18 hours ago, Aperalim said:

I have found from comparisons that Rhodium sound more neutral than Gold.

Swapping out power cables and restarting equipment can take time and I don't trust my audio memory to be able to make definitive statements. I can say that Rhodium that in long term listening, it doesn't offer any loss of resolution or change in the spectral balance that I can pick up - certainly it will do "no bad". And again, it will improve the longevity of your pins. The Rhodium plated Furutechs are not much dearer than the gold plated so it's a minimal extra cost that is an easy decision for me.

Edited by scumbag

Hi, here is a link to some high quality AU plugs, from Hong Kong.  I have ordered 6 of them and am waiting for them to arrive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292002662401

Also, regarding the Gold vs Rhodium plating, there are a couple of metallurgical facts that have not been covered yet.  First, Gold plated copper has an unfortunate side effect, particularly on power cords.  Gold and Copper, under heat or electricity, start to amalgamate into one another.  I first noticed that my Nordost SPM golg plated copper foil, started to tarnish, which seemed odd.  so, as I cleaned off the tarnish, the gold slowly disappeared into the copper, quite frustrating actually.  so, when my stupid stoner Hippy housekeeper knocked one of the cables loose, she broke off the connector.  Tried to find something better that you could solder and it was virtually impossible.  So, I got some 20 guage sterling silver plate, and created spade lugs out of them.  But, as we all know silver tarnishes faster then just about anything.  so, I called the local electroplate company and asked their advice.  They could either plate my spades with palladium, which does not  tarnish, or Rhodium, which is a harder metal.  so, I had them plate the spade connectors with Rhodium, 5 microns is as much as they can take before the metal, while hard is prone to crack.  I have never looked back.  I have upgraded to Nordost Valhalla, and simply swapped out the crappy copper/gold bananas for the aforementioned Silver/rhodium.  By the way, just changing out the crappy copper foil for the silver was a huge improvement, and quite cheap.

By the way, I then used the SPM to upgrade the internal speaker wire on my Whisper Legacy speakers, vast improvement there too, but that's for another post.

So, after my long winded reply, Rhodium is superior to gold in terms of not tarnishing and not amalgamating into the material.  One further note, however, is if a plug is copper, plated in silver and then gold, you will not have a problem.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dpauly said:

Hi, here is a link to some high quality AU plugs, from Hong Kong.  I have ordered 6 of them and am waiting for them to arrive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292002662401

Depends how you define ‘high quality’. ;)

These are designed to suit Chinese mains sockets which have a slightly different prong spacing and thickness to Australian plugs. They will generally fit Australian sockets, but not perfectly. 

They are are not Australian-standards complaint.

They are also 100% not copper conductors as described. They are brass. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as copper is softer and is more prone to snapping when manufactured with such a thin thickness. 

The only advantage that these Chinese plugs have over plugs from Clipsal, Martin Kaiser and HPM is the ability to accept large CSA wire. 

Edited by pete_mac

Are you saying you can't use your stuff until you change the plugs? If so, maybe you could get a travel adaptor or two, that would allow your current plugs to fit an Australian outlet. That way, you could still use your gear while looking for a more permanent solution.

Please note, though, that I don't know what quality of construction you would find in a travel adaptor, I simply suggest it as a stopgap measure. I'm happy to be shot down in flames if this is a poor idea.

Thanks guys,

I'll go for Furutech rhodium on the key electronics (the Optimum is a thick cable, but it's a general preference for quality/reliable connectors when it's about protecting expensive stuff...) and Clipsal for the rest...

Looking forward to have all the system in place... (deliver delayed once again...a nightmare)

Have a great week!

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered these Au plugs from Hong Kong, and they were about $20 each including shipping.  They are essentially knock off Oyaide plugs, but they are great and will take up to 12g stranded wire as inserts.  Make sure that you solder your strands, so that you will have less difficulty inserting the ends into the plug, and then just use the set screws to attach.

Here is the ebay link to the plug shop.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292002662401?ul_noapp=true

best,

David

• Like 1

On 12/06/2019 at 11:10 PM, Jventer said:

State certification for electrical items is recognised Australia wide

41 minutes ago, dpauly said:

I just ordered these Au plugs from Hong Kong, and they were about $20 each including shipping.  They are essentially knock off Oyaide plugs, but they are great and will take up to 12g stranded wire as inserts.  Make sure that you solder your strands, so that you will have less difficulty inserting the ends into the plug, and then just use the set screws to attach.

best,

David

I cannot ID that these are legal in Australia ie 3rd party compliance to relevant mandatory Australian Standards, specifically

AS/NZS 3112, Approval and test specification - Plugs and socket-outlets

The test specs are quite rigorous, electrically & physically.

Edited by Gee Emm

1 hour ago, dpauly said:

best,

David

That's not really a good idea. Solder being malleable, but not resilient, will suffer from "creep" when put under pressure from the screws, and the terminations will work loose over time. A more appropriate method is to use bootlace ferrules over the end of the wires.

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
On 15/06/2019 at 7:52 PM, pete_mac said:

Depends how you define ‘high quality’. ;)

These are designed to suit Chinese mains sockets which have a slightly different prong spacing and thickness to Australian plugs. They will generally fit Australian sockets, but not perfectly. 

They are are not Australian-standards complaint.

They are also 100% not copper conductors as described. They are brass. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as copper is softer and is more prone to snapping when manufactured with such a thin thickness. 

The only advantage that these Chinese plugs have over plugs from Clipsal, Martin Kaiser and HPM is the ability to accept large CSA wire. 

19 hours ago, dpauly said:

best,

David