Vale Chris Winter 2JJ, 2JJJ

sound_.mind

—devastated, a great loss

""Chris was a foundation presenter for Double Jay in 1975 and it is his free spirit and style that inspired the persona of the whole station," ABC Head of Music and Creative Development Chris Scaddan said today."

https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/music-reads/music-news/chris-winter-double-j-died-obit-triple-j-room-to-move/11198662?sf214122627=1&fbclid=IwAR1Mc9Jw5_2fFdTFks0h1WIp7JDonK1JDumsU50BVZVgxoO9WJyUb4-2TMQ

late one night Chris Winter showcased violinist Jerry Goodman on ‘double jay’
back at that time, I was a teenager, radio 2JJ was truly independent, truly alternative and truly inspirational
that segment featured the “My Goal Is Beyond” LP by John McLaughlin..... 
it was that album which led to a further exploration of and passion for fusion and jazz

• Like 3

Chris Winter on Room to Move here in Melbourne showcased the first ELP album...think it was from around 9pm on Monday nights...so long ago now...

I lived for that show...and the magazine Go-Set...just to get news on King Crimson and ELP...I remember one night he played McKenna Mendelson Mainline not my style but i did'nt care it was a new world of music he was opening up for this frustrated teenager...a world of music i could call mine! My own space!

Moody Blues, Hawkwind, Van der Graff Generator, Jade Warrior, Genesis was my world! Yeah i was a bit of a nerd i liked my Sci-Fi and lusted after Hi-Fi eqipment (girls were to come later!) in particular Sansui and imported gatefold LPs thank you Archie & Jugheads...a musical journey that is still ongoing today!

Thank you Chris Winter...Vale and R.I.P.

• Like 4

JJ! I was listening to Room To Move on ABC AM 3LO/3AR pre JJ, showing my age! A sad loss! He was a true pioneer, we have him to thank for as listeners went on to start quality community stations like PBS and RRR here in Melbourne.

regards Ian

• Like 3

Argh, this is terrible news. Chris Winter opened my pre-teen world to so much new music, it really changed my life.

Frustratingly, i unknowingly met him some years back at an art gallery... it was only after he left that i discovered who i had been taking to (and sadly not about music!) What i really wanted to do was to tell him how important Room to Move had been to me...

... will have to play the Hen's March through the Midden and the Four Poster Bed in his honour....

- r.

• Like 1

I also remember Chris Winter from his days hosting 'Room To Move' on the ABC in the early 70s. He played a lot of music that otherwise would not have been heard on radio at the time. I discovered Osibisa, East Of Eden, Van Der Graaf Generator, Hawkwind just to name a few.

An interview with him from 2012.

https://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/09/19/3593458.htm

RIM (Rest In Music) Chris Winter

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sir Rab of Everest said:

Wow, that takes me back! I think i still have a copy of Stink in my vinyl stash... some of those guitar solos are burnt into my brain!

Yeah see after all these years cos of Chris i remember the name of that Canadian Band...never heard them again after Chris played them that night! lol

Those were the days when the ABC were truly an National Radio....adventurous broadcasting, worth listening to!

6 hours ago, Sir Rab of Everest said:

Wow, that takes me back! I think i still have a copy of Stink in my vinyl stash... some of those guitar solos are burnt into my brain!

I can go one better, Sir Rab, I saw them live at Caulfield Institute of Technology circa 1970-71, where I was studying. A lunchtime concert no less! They were great! Rumour had it they'd been kicked off a Frigid Pink tour. As the support act they were showing up the main act.

regards Ian

7 hours ago, Sir Rab of Everest said:

Argh, this is terrible news. Chris Winter opened my pre-teen world to so much new music, it really changed my life.

Frustratingly, i unknowingly met him some years back at an art gallery... it was only after he left that i discovered who i had been taking to (and sadly not about music!) What i really wanted to do was to tell him how important Room to Move had been to me...

... will have to play the Hen's March through the Midden and the Four Poster Bed in his honour.... 

- r.

similar story, a few years back, sitting in the cafe at ACMI, I overhear someone chatting away with a few media business types.

That's surely none other than Chris Winter, so well remembered from my Room To Move listening days! Yes indeed!

Even saw John Mayall at Festival Hall performing Room to Move back then.

regards Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm another who found Chris Winter's 'Room To Move' on AM ABC a window of light in the darkness of the pre-community radio days in the early 1970's.  I recall the Sunday evenings, glued to my little transistor radio, living on the edges of reception, hearing incredible music that had so much life and innovation.  Nothing like you would have the opportunity to hear on the commercial stations.  It was quite a cultural revelation.  And certainly created the mould for the community broadcasting which would develop in the decades to come.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/07/2019 at 11:12 AM, audiofeline said:

I'm another who found Chris Winter's 'Room To Move' on AM ABC a window of light in the darkness of the pre-community radio days in the early 1970's.  I recall the Sunday evenings, glued to my little transistor radio, living on the edges of reception, hearing incredible music that had so much life and innovation.  Nothing like you would have the opportunity to hear on the commercial stations.  It was quite a cultural revelation.  And certainly created the mould for the community broadcasting which would develop in the decades to come.

Oh yeah the old ear glued to the radio speaker so as not to both miss the strange new wonderful music and the artist's name and record...late at night tucked up cosy in bed!

(Please don't let the battery run down now, don't ring! don't knock!)

The excitment and magic of the 'new' that only spoke to me as a young teenager and I so avidly  listened...I was not alone!  :)  I had in my possession an audio compass to help guide me through the intimidating strangeness of 9 to 5 jobs, 30 year house mortgages, marriage, kids...that confronted me as I left High School...but, but, but I'm only 18 years old! :)

You are so right about Chris creating the 'mould' for the emerging nascent community broadcasting stations in decades to come in Australia!

Chris was my role-model of a presenter, warm voice and quietly spoken, not so musical knowledgeable but I endeavored...way, way back when the first mud-brick Community FM Radio hit Bellingen NSW. I even helped with 2BBB FM's construction and also the local Steiner School but I digress!

It was a long way from Mulgrave to Bellingen and et al and you helped me get started Chris...R.I.P...

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 06/09/2019 at 1:28 AM, rusty48 said:

Another Room to Move: first time (‘71?) I heard Pink Floyd - ‘Careful with that Axe Eugene’. Still scares me! 

Coming in late for this, did not know he had passed.

He had a great mellow late night voice, I even had a "Room to move" tee shirt !

Another show on Sydney radio 2UW at that time was "Thompson Underground", loved it.

John Thompson it was....

From the SMH

"Thompson also had a weekly program called Thompson Underground, which featured non-chart music from the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Cream and Jefferson Airplane, and had a big following among university students."

Smart guy he was ,ahead of his time.

Interesting story of John Thompson for those interested https://www.smh.com.au/national/john-thompson-pioneer-radio-presenter-from-2lf-to-bbc-world-service-20170806-gxqagv.html

Both have gone..........

Edited by Digital delay
added info
  • Like 1

Along with Chris Winter's Room To Move, I too listened feverishly to John Thompson, well I assume it was him. From memory show was "2UW Goes Underground". Aired on a Friday night so I'll assume it was "Thompson Underground".

I was tuning into AM 2UW from Frankston, Vic, a huge aerial in my backyard helped!

Room To Move was named after the John Mayall song. Saw John at Festival Hall circa 1971.

Edited by Ian McP
  • Thanks 1