koputai

Phono preamp kit or plans up to $500

Hi All,

I'm thinking of upgrading my phono pre, which is currently a Pro-ject Phono Box. My turntable is a Michell Tecnodec, and

my new cart, an Ortofon 2m Bronze is due to arrive tomorrow. The phono pre feeds straight in to a Meridian 24/96 A to D

converter. The rest of the system is Meridian digital all the way to DSP speakers.

I don't want to spend a lot, maybe $500, so I'm thinking I'll get the best performance for the money by building it myself.

Either a kit, or plans that I can build from would be acceptable, with a build price up to around $500.

What are your recommendations please?

Thanks,

Jason.

My next planned upgrade is the PH16 phono stage kit from tubes4hifi. Certainly worth a look, it seems to be well-praised and, if you do what I’m planning to do and source your own case + tubes, it comes in cheaper than most any valve phono stage.

1 hour ago, koputai said:

Hi All,

I'm thinking of upgrading my phono pre, which is currently a Pro-ject Phono Box.

Either a kit, or plans that I can build from would be acceptable, with a build price up to around $500.

What are your recommendations please?

Thanks,

Jason.

Jason, if you are looking for an MM phono stage, I would suggest you investigate @catman's favourite, the Rod Elliott P06 - see here: http://sound.whsites.net/p-list.htm

This needs a PS - I'm sure Felix will tell you which of Rod's he uses.

I built Rod's active XO (P09) and can vouch for the fact that his PCBs and instructions are excellent.

Andy

40 minutes ago, andyr said:

the Rod Elliott P06

Thanks Andy.

I've actually built a P06 in the past, and it's fitted inside another Meridian preamp that is currently in storage back in Sydney.

That one was built without much regard to the quality of the parts, and it runs off the existing power rails inside the Meridian.

If I built another I would definitely take more time to source top end parts, and build a nice PSU for it as well.

Cheers,

Jason.

https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/cornet3 best kit phono preamp especially with LPS. you might be able to get kit by contacting him directly. I still use it as my main phono. another one is bottlehead reduction https://bottlehead.com/?product=reduction-1-1-phono-preamplifier-kit but I recommend to get the integration upgrade. I found bottlehead amp without Camille Cascode Constant Current Sources to be too warm

Posted (edited)

Have a look at this https://www.akitika.com/PhonoPreamp.html, don't be fooled by the price, it is a very good phono, you need to add a power supply and case, for your budget you could afford better components too. MM only though.

Catman also has one, mine replaced a MF XLPSv3 I liked it that much.

Edited by Batty

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, some great stuff there.

At the moment, I think my available space precludes a tube pre. When I'm back in Sydney in 2 years I'll definitely be looking at one though.

That Akitika looks very interesting @Batty, thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Jason.

On 12/06/2019 at 9:20 AM, crtexcnndrm99 said:

My next planned upgrade is the PH16 phono stage kit from tubes4hifi. Certainly worth a look, it seems to be well-praised and, if you do what I’m planning to do and source your own case + tubes, it comes in cheaper than most any valve phono stage.

I have built the PH16 and found it to be a very nice phonostage ousting my Graham Slee ReflexM.

Posted (edited)

G'day all, don't forget the Bruce Heran single op amp design.  It is simple but a stunningly good sounding MM phono stage, and very quiet using an OPA2134 dual op amp.  Regards, Felix.  PS.  The new one that I detailed and built recently in the DIY forum is also excellent!   

Edited by catman
Addition.

1 hour ago, tesla13BMW said:

I have built the PH16 and found it to be a very nice phonostage ousting my Graham Slee ReflexM.

Very happy to hear that. Can be difficult to find opinions on less common components, so thank you. Tried with a SUT for LOMC at all in your system?

Yes.  I use a Linn Asak MC at 100uv output and a diy SUT using a 40x setting (using Cinemag 1254's).

I find it performs very well with the above and also MM - I have a selector switch as to source to the phono.

7 hours ago, catman said:

PS.  The new one that I detailed and built recently in the DIY forum is also excellent!   

Thanks @catman. As mentioned above, I previously built a P06 on your recommendation, and it’s very nice.

So, which one do you reckon is the goods, P06, Bruce Heran, or this new one?

Cheers,

Jason.

G'day mate, that is a very difficult question to answer!  On principle, I'd say the P06 but overall differences are miniscule!  Regards, Felix.

6 hours ago, tesla13BMW said:

Yes.  I use a Linn Asak MC at 100uv output and a diy SUT using a 40x setting (using Cinemag 1254's).

I find it performs very well with the above and also MM - I have a selector switch as to source to the phono.

Yours is an interesting post, Chris, for the following reasons:

1.  I presume you're using the 1:40 SUT with an MM phono stage - which has a default Rload of 47K?

Which means that you are loading it with 47000 / 1600 = 29 ohms.  Is this the loading which Linn recommend with their Asak?

Wow!  Low signal level, btw!

2.  If you have a switch to select MM or Asak+SUT to pass through to the phono stage circuit ... you are degrading our SQ - relative to there not being a switch at this low signal level.

I recommend you bypass the switch and see how this improves your sound.  :)

BTW ... not hard IMO to "oust a Graham Slee ReflexM".  :lol:

Andy

I've looked at the Tavish Design site for a while, and been curious about their designs. 

Tube phono stages (so might not be what the OP wants); they can be bought assembled or in various forms of kit.

https://tavishdesign.com/