SOLD: FS: Tannoy Kensington Prestige SE Speakers Made in UK

SOLD

Pair of 2014 Tannoy Kensington Prestige SE loudspeakers. Designed and made in the UK  (Relisted. Price reduced).

Price:  $7500 (RRP $17000)

Item Condition:  As brand new with original spikes, stands, and receipt (no packaging).
Reason for selling:  Upgrading to larger size speakers.

Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal.
Extra Info: 

I bought them brand new in June 2014 from the distributor in Melbourne with original boxes and packaging. I have compared these Kensington speakers side by side with many other speakers within a price range of 9K to 25K: Focal Utopia 20K+, PSB Synchrony, Acoustic Zen Adagio, as well as a few other famous 15K-20K models I can't recall. Surprisingly, Kensington trumped them ALL by a BIG margin.

I used Kensington with the appraised Elson Silva's Southern Star 35W tube amp. Used rarely for music, mainly at low volumes for TV. Kept in stable temperature, in smoke and pet free room. You are welcome to bring your speakers and your amp to test them out and appraise the true magic of the Kensington.

The Tannoy Kensington SE features a 10-inch Dual Concentric driver with an AlNiCo magnet system and the Tannoy PepperPost WaveGuide, mounted in a 1100 mm tall, 406 mm wide solidly braced cabinet constructed of lacquered mahogany veneer with solid walnut edging and trim detail. Front panel crossover controls allow the unit to be fine-tuned for musical preferences and listening environment. Tannoy Prestige speakers are designed and built like fine musical instruments, producing startlingly immediate, dynamic, and utterly captivating sound, rich in tone, as close to a live performance as anything in audio. No matter what your musical tastes, whether jazz, reggae, electronic, classical, hard rock, or whatever, the Tannoy Dual Concentric design is a magical antidote to clinical high-end loudspeaker alternatives. The Kensington works magnificently in spaces ranging in size from an average sitting room to substantial halls, and in all interior decors, from traditional to contemporary. It can be powered by low-powered valve amps, including single-ended triodes, or high-powered solid-state monoblocs, with both bi-wiring and bi-amping options.

Specifications:

Recommended amplifier power: 50 to 225 W

Frequency response: 29 Hz to 22 kHz, -6 dB

Sensitivity: 93 dB, 2.83 V at 1 m

Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms

Dimensions: 1100 x 406 x 338 mm

Weight: 37 kg each

Finish: lacquered mahogany veneer with solid walnut edging and trim detail

Reviews:

Acclaimed Australian Hi-Fi audio designer & repairer Patrick Turner, put this in his blog (in my opinion, a truly trustworthy reviewer): “The Kensington SE might be too much of a good thing. It’s Technicolor rich, contrastier and flat out more delicious sounding than any box or panel speaker I’ve heard in ages. If I’ve made you curious, here’s my advice: Listen to your favorite music first on other speakers, and then audition the Kensington SE. I’m betting you won’t want to go back...”

"What astonished me at once was the sheer transparency of the Kensington rivaling the Quads in the precision of its soundstage and in the depth and effortless layering of the image. I've not before heard anything quite so coherent from a box loudspeaker.... The Kensington is one of a very small number of loudspeakers that I would say have truly graced my listening room in the quarter century that I have been writing about audio equipment. Set up carefully and driven with a top quality power amplifier and front end components, it is capable of coming within a whisker of emulating that 'open window on the event' which, for me at least, is what high fidelity is all about." (Ivor Humphreys)

"The Kensington's biggest strength lies in the delicacy and transparency of the mid-band, and this has an enormous influence on voices in particular. On 'Indoor Fireworks', the plaintive, breathy quality of Elvis Costello's voice has never sounded more effective or expressive. Likewise, when I slipped Jim White's wonderfully bizarre Wrong Eyed Jesus CD in to the player, this speaker seemed particularly effective at peeling back veils and revealing both the essence and the lyric of this quite complex and densely layered mix." (Paul Messenger)

Pictures:

1 (1448 x 2707).jpg

1A.JPG

2 (2000 x 3008).jpg

3.JPG

4.JPG

Edited by Vladas
typing errors
  • Like 3

Hi @Vladas, In the description you describe these ""as brand new".  In the last photo it looks like there is a chip in the cabinet about a foot up from rear side. Is that a chip? 

I'm interested but want pristine cabinets.

Thanks, 

Rod.

• Like 2

Microscopic dent, only visible on photo, everything looks better in reality, amateur photos exaggerate imperfections,  I never noticed it till you asked 

Edited by Vladas

20 minutes ago, Vladas said:

Microscopic dent, only visible on photo, everything looks better in reality, amateur photos exaggerate imperfections,  I never noticed it till you asked 

Meaning that they are not in brand new condition then. 

Vladas it really doesn't look microscopic at all mate. Clear it up for everyone and simply take another photo and post it.  I just and I imagine other potential purchasers don't want to waste time if it is anything like what it clearly looks on the pics, ie a chunk missing and showing the unstained bare wood.