Sign in to follow this  
billy170468

New System 20K

Posted (edited)

@billy170468  Ok to embed the image?  (will remove if not...)

it all actually looks pretty good - I would spend less on a couple of things - but it is your system :) 

zb6OoIE.png

Edited by n0bleINtP

I would spend less on a couple of things - but it is your system :) 

Ok what would you change?

Posted (edited)

I would have a different option on the CD - it is nearly 1/4 of the budget. So for me, a cheaper player (as transport) - into an better/cheaper/external DAC. Then that DAC into the Amp.

But that would be a fiddly thing, with different brands, cosmetics, remotes and what have you. Fine for me. But others want neat.

Your quoted setup is neater, integrates with the other MF in the system. Could be a value for you.
I am just unsure of the performance of that CD/digital source for its price. It is an older unit? Assume it streams network: spotify / tidal ?

For me I would spend less on the speaker cabling - but that is me. And not a debate worth starting here. (ie cables)

Seriously it all looks really good
Muscle in that Amp is noted in many reviews. Also found a review that indicates that it really opens up if you give it a good digital source.

don't change your plans on this - just my quick 2c :) 
good luck with it all 

Edited by n0bleINtP

and ... maybe I underestimated the CD player

it got a DAC upgrade a couple of years ago?
has a tube stage ?

might be more special than I realize ... others would have better info

Posted (edited)

Hey all,

Just letting you know that this quote/purchase is NOT set in stone.

And, I am not only going to LWA.. I have 2 other shops I am going to.

Keep your suggestions coming.

But I am off to bed

Cheers

Andy

Edited by billy170468

Posted (edited)

Just my 2 cents, and without having read any replies -

I wouldn’t buy a stubbie for 2 channel set-up, I’d look for floor standers that dig deep.  Also, cables are important but at $2,200???  Gee whizz, I’d drop the subbie cable, re-assess the cables to speaker and I/c only for $1000 total spend and re-divert the extra $4000 purely to upgrading the speakers.

Edited by Kaynin

I would second the suggestion of considering putting the sub money back into the speakers or elsewhere. Those speakers go down to the 35Hz (probably lower in-room response) which is pretty decent to be honest. 

Do do you need a rack for this?

Posted (edited)

So you'd have two DACs! The M6s CD player has one, and the M6Si amp has another!

Plus one beefy subwoofer by JL Audio that needs to be integrated with a pair of Triangle floorstanders. This is fine for home-theatre but not for hi-fi.

For $20K this is not great value. It's just a retail package tailored to the budget you provided, comprising brands that are stocked by that shop and some fancy wires thrown in for good measure! Also keep in mind that most listening rooms have an uneven frequency response, so buying expensive speakers without addressing this is a huge waste.

I'd suggest that you read through some of the advice received on this thread, and do more research and some auditioning before you spend your dough (which may be burning a hole in your pocket? We've all been there!). There are far better options and you should make yourself aware of these. 

NB: The British hi-fi press is the most influential in the world, and they hype up Musical Fidelity, Cyrus, Naim, Linn, KEF, Roksan etc like there's no tomorrow! Internet reviews and forum opinions follow suit. Here, on the other side of the world, we pay through the nose for these brands in the mistaken belief they are superior to all else.

Similarly, French-made Triangle are also well-marketed. But they're not any better than Australian speakers! 

Legend

Orpheus

Osborn

Lenehan

VAF

Personally, like I said before, the Legend Tikandi active speakers (including DEQX room correction / remote-controlled preamp) with a Gieseler Fein II DAC and a CD transport would be my choice. This would work in any half-decent listening environment, and allow streaming from ethernet, bluetooth etc as well.

If you're reticent about the CD transport-DAC route, you could buy the M6s CD player instead and utilise its digital inputs. I wouldn't myself, having listening to the M6s and similar designs at this price-point.

Ultimately it's your call. 

Edited by was_a

These speakers go flat to 20hz and they had 2 brilliant monos with plenty of grunt to deliver incredible bass. 

They still benefited even on female vocal from 2,4 and 6 subs was best. 

Subs aren't only about frequency extension and even top tier speakers benefit from subs. You see it with many manufactures like Avantgarde, Wilson Audio, Magico etc

IMG_20170202_121348.jpg

Trust me don't buy expensive speaker cables or xlrs until you have heard from Mike Lenehan from Lenehan audio in Qld. He build speaker cables similar price to what you have been quoted and have actually beat $10k Valhallas and stood up well against $50k speaker cables.

I agree with the sentiment that you should seriously consider Aussie made speakers. Not just for your patriotic duties (haha) but because you get much better bang for buck

The more you spend time with systems the more you start realising a lot of  big speaker brands are heavily hyped and rely on good marketing. The actual cost of the materials can be a lot less than what you would get with custom made Aussies. Also the fact is a lot of the cost of speakers and components come through dealer and wholesaler markups. WIth these guys you are going directly to the manufacturer. A speaker worth $15k might only cost 1-3k max to make with the bigger manufacturers. Local guys pass on good value I find.

I would speak to Rod from Legend speaker and Mike Lenehan from lenahan audio. Their products are top tier quality and both are fantastic to work with

I have also heard good things for Osborne speakers, VAF and Hegel speakers but I haven't heard them personally.

Trust me with this. :))

On a side note I would thoroughly recommend DEQX with whatever you do. Deqx makeevery speaker sound better IMO and you can custom your sound based on your room and even personal sound preferences. Digital DSP and EQ is just too important to ignore. If you find your speaker need more bass you can eq it out. Deqx along with good quality local Aussie made speakers is a very good value proposition

20k ?

I would be tempted to see what a retailer could do Kii Three's for. Possibly have to up the budget a little, or maybe not.

20 hours ago, billy170468 said:

This is the quote from LWA for the system he suggests

https://imgur.com/a/zojlGoe

Can I do better?

Also, even if you stick to what you have picked I definitely think you can do better. Has he given you any discounts at all for all of that gear to purchase at once? The prices seem to be retail prices and what I am seeing on LWA website...

Just my 2 cents, and without having read any replies -

I wouldn’t buy a stubbie for 2 channel set-up, I’d look for floor standers that dig deep.  Also, cables are important but at $2,200???  Gee whizz, I’d drop the subbie cable, re-assess the cables to speaker and I/c only for $1000 total spend and re-divert the extra $4000 purely to upgrading the speakers.

Well said.

In addition, I’d downgrade from M6cd to the M3cd and save another $2k for the speaker budget.

With that extra cash, I’d be heading straight to a my local Harbeth retailer and picking up a pair of SHL5+ and stands. A great match for the MF M6si.

And add a BlueSound Node 2i for streaming duties.

On 12/06/2019 at 9:54 AM, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

@SGR Audio  would be another I’d look at if starting over, Australian made active speakers that take away the need for matching amps to speakers which is half the battle done!

Ditto.  I did the same with the Convex MK2 actives, addressed 4 issues re: speaker, amps, subs and speaker cable dilemmas.  This allowed me to simplify the overall system and pay more attention and coin across the sources, namely in this order - preamp, dac, streamer.  I have a TT setup, again this is simplified where the TT is connected to the phonostage (gain adjusted) so i can run it direct to the XLR input of the SGR actives.  My preamp is a passive one, ie - Schiit Saga, which i use for my digital sources - essentially a source selector with attenuation.  No gain needed as the output gain from my sources are 2v,.  I use 3m RCA and XLR cables, even at these length's i noticed to drop in gain or noise pickup at all - just dead silence at unity gain with my ears again the speaker's tweeters. :)