Heretic?: - Apple HomePod versus Sonos series

Hi:

Looking for a more flexible solution than a full HiFi system.  What are people's views on Sonos vs Apple for music quality and an ability to play as a stereo.  Also ability to "fill" a decent sized room.  thanks Snoopy 8 for the questions.  I enjoy a fairly full range of music opera, classical to rock, I like clarity and good reproduction of music.  We have recently downsized and whilst the house has largish open plan rooms, it's not really suitable for a formal 2 floor standing speaker system.  Budget:  probably $1000 but keener for quality over cheap.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Edited by Hereinoz
expanded requirements

:welcome: to the forum

What is your budget?  Please describe what are your sources of music, what is your room like, how serious is the music listening?  Apple and Sonos address different markets, so need to understand your needs first...

Image result for devialet phantom gold

1. flexible solution than a full HiFi system

2. ability to "fill" a decent sized room

3. enjoy a fairly full range of music opera, classical to rock

4. clarity and good reproduction of music

5. house has largish open plan rooms, it's not really suitable for a formal 2 floor standing speaker system

6. budget - keener for quality over cheap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Irek said:

Image result for devialet phantom gold

1. flexible solution than a full HiFi system

2. ability to "fill" a decent sized room

3. enjoy a fairly full range of music opera, classical to rock

4. clarity and good reproduction of music

5. house has largish open plan rooms, it's not really suitable for a formal 2 floor standing speaker system

6. budget - keener for quality over cheap

Seen them somewhere before! :lol:. For OP's info, my helmets !

Bluesound range that suits you, if you are an apple music user then the 2i range which is current model.

if you only use Tidal then you could easily get by on the earlier ranges.

the flex or pulse mini speakers may work. 

I have a pulse gen1 which sounds terrific.

its fairly large though and two smaller Flex speakers may work better and allow better positioning 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

I’ve got a stereo pair of homepods, they go ok. 

Hi - thanks for the comment - what do you stream from?  When you say ok? what are you comparing to?  I have previously had the big system but now looking for reasonable quality but smaller.... hence thoughts about Sonos or Apple..  thanks 

On 10/06/2019 at 5:39 PM, Hereinoz said:

thanks Snoopy 8 for the questions.  I enjoy a fairly full range of music opera, classical to rock, I like clarity and good reproduction of music.  We have recently downsized and whilst the house has largish open plan rooms, it's not really suitable for a formal 2 floor standing speaker system.  Budget:  probably $1000 but keener for quality over cheap.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Missed your answers; better if you create a new post to alert people that you edited original post with additions.

A big ask to fill the room and have clarity, good reproduction of music for $1,000 from an all-in-one setup.  My Devialet Phantom Golds will definitely do the job but way, way, way over budget. I also have Sonos Play 5s Mk 1 and have tried them as a stereo pair. Sound is ok, imaging sightly muddled because speakers are mounted angled. Have not heard Bluesound, think they are better than Sonos?  But wth that budget, used is only option for a decent sounding all-in-one.

I think you will be better off downsizing to bookshelf speakers. It may not go down as low as floor standers, but may give you the sound quality that you want.