Paradigm Premier 100B

Hi all,

Does anyone have the Paradigm Premier 100Bs? or experience with them?  I am considering a purchase but do not have the opportunity to audition them given my location (Darwin).  I would be grateful to hear your experiences on sound quality, sound features and build quality.  A photo of them (including the binding posts) would be appreciated.  I would like to get a more natural feel than stock photos on the internet and I can’t find a photo of the back and binding posts). 

I am looking to partner them with a Bewitch 6550 integrated tube amplifier with upgraded tubes (KT88s for output). The tube amp outputs 30wpc in triode mode and 60wpc in ultra linear mode and has 4ohm and 8ohm speaker connections. The speakers will project into a 15sqm room. Inputs will be a Project Debut Carbon TT and Rega Apollo R CD player. I posted this in an earlier post seeking amp partnering suggestions.  

I already have Paradigm speakers which I really enjoy, particularly the Studio 100s which were driven beautifully by the Bewitch integrated tube amplifier. 

Thanks

@KRSDarwin Ok took some pics but forgot my Card reader so will upload the pics later tonight for you!

Actually using them to run in a Luxman MQ-88u 25W tube power amp and its a marriage made in heaven. To be fair, the Luxman probably deserves a better speaker, but the 100B have a smooth top end (thanks to the somewhat waveguide design) and I actually prefer them to the Monitor Audio Silver 50 and 100 (which while better built, are a bit too dry for my tastes).

Will update the thread later!

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

Still got the Studio 100s! but lamenting again last night that maybe the sound from the Musical Fidelity M6si driving the Studio 100s is not quite as musically involving (in a softer natural sense that draws you in) as the upgraded Bewitch driving the Studio 100s. 

The M6si (which I think is a great amp for control and detail) definitely has the edge on serving the plethora of equipment we have  - TV via Denon AVR using HT Bypass (with the ability to play surround sound movies and true multi-channel music), CD/SACD, Roon Nucleus combined with Brookly DAC+, Sonos Connect and finally a ClearAudio TT using the M6si's very good (IMO) MC phono-stage. 

So for us there is pro's and con's of what goes where. My aim now is to capture more of the Bewitch magic in my office and I am placing some faith in the fact that using Paradigms again (albeit bookshelf instead floorstanders), but a later model with greater technology improvements, will be a good match.  I have a feeling that Paradigms are overlooked as a speaker company.  I recall the Paradigm Signature s8 appearing in a list of the 25 best speakers in the world (at a fraction of the price of most of the rest in the list). I also believe the new Persona Series (with some trickle down in the Premier 100B) is well regarded and would be worth hearing.

Cheers 

@KRSDarwin Ahh yep sorry, it didn't click that you were talking about another room. I thought Same room but 2 systems for some reason.

Totally agree with Paradigm and it is why I have Tributes (prefer them to S8s). I haven't heard any of the new Premier range yet but I can't imagine being a huge jump over Monitor though it was impressive what you could get out of the Monitor 11s. Them and the Audio research VSI60 was beautiful.

I personally would be trying to find used Prestige 15Bs or S2s. Both have sold on here for around or cheaper than the RRP of the Premiers

I didn't really like the Monitor or Studio bookshelves

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/240160-withdrawn-or-relised-paradigm-signature-s2-rosewood/

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/282831-fs-paradigm-prestige-15b-piano-gloss-finish/?tab=comments#comment-4298817

Enjoyed reading your thoughts on the new tube amp with the 100s in another thread. A mates father has a custom made tube amp with his 100s and it is magic. My Tributes love tubes too :)

• Like 1

Thanks Hydrology,  much appreciated. 

I like the look of them and apparent build quality.  Thanks especially for the photo of the (quality) binding posts as I couldn’t see the rear setup online. 

They look the goods and meet my height requirement (less than 300mm) which rules out the Signature 2 (381mm) and Prestige 15B (308mm).

Also, had a look at your record cleaning website.  Looks like a great service at good prices.  You picked up some great jazz artists on vinyl a few months ago!

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KRSDarwin said:

Thanks Hydrology,  much appreciated. 

I like the look of them and apparent build quality.  Thanks especially for the photo of the (quality) binding posts as I couldn’t see the rear setup online. 

They look the goods and meet my height requirement (less than 300mm) which rules out the Signature 2 (381mm) and Prestige 15B (308mm).

Also, had a look at your record cleaning website.  Looks like a great service at good prices.  You picked up some great jazz artists on vinyl a few months ago!

Cheers

The Devialet ones? yes they are bloody good (limited to 900 copies, but I believe still some available).

One other speaker I would give consideration to is the ELAC BS243.3. 285mm, so fits in the space requirements, German-made and 10 year warranty. Fabulous sound, little pricier than the Paradigm and not as efficient:-

https://www.elac.com/product/bs-243-2/

I bit the bullet today and ordered the Paradigm Premier 100Bs in the satin black. They should be with me late next week (unfortunately I will be in Melbourne then).  

Will post an update on sq and pictures when installed. Was enjoying the B-52s and then Steve Winwood this afternoon on vinyl. 

Edited by KRSDarwin
correct spelling
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Premier 100Bs acquired (good service from EastwoodHi-Fi) and installed. Definite improvement over Wharfedale’s, across the board but particularly in the bass (tighter and punchier) - to be fair though Wharfedale’s were by necessity on their side.  

A negative side effect has been the cabinet/shelf above the speakers vibrating and causing the CD to skip.  You will see I have already made (unsuccessful) attempts at isolation.  Any ideas welcome. 

723F6285-BB6D-4322-BBEB-36A3E9E1D44C.jpeg

14DD025F-436D-4750-BD4D-5ADE03232059.jpeg

3E8BB672-F3B3-4555-8D5B-C14A1D8C3F40.jpeg

Edited by KRSDarwin
  • Like 1