Sign in to follow this  
n0bleINtP

Suggestions for a Preamplifier to match a Krell FPB

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kelossus said:

You said your speakers are only temporary? Rather than spending 5-10k on a preamp I would sort the speakers out first.

I do certainly agree with that. I am really just trying to get the system cleaned up the point where I can live with it. The Krix are clearly trying to do too many things at once: 6 drivers, big cabinet, modest price. The "theater" lineage (as in Hoyts not HT) shows on the compromises at the bottom end. Top end is surprisingly good however. 

Also timing - Preamp is giving up on "lunch money". Speakers are "deposit on the house"  :)
Going to take a while, even just for the auditions.

34 minutes ago, deanB said:

Another valve preamp to consider- Consonance Linear 1.

A very nice option, and thank you.  Will do some research ... 

Edited by n0bleINtP

One thing to check - do you know what the input impedance is on your power amps? Some valve preamps have quite high output impedance and they may not be a good match.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

One thing to check - do you know what the input impedance is on your power amps? Some valve preamps have quite high output impedance and they may not be a good match.

For the Krell FPB C types it is >100kΩ. Rather high value (a good thing)

More interestingly input sensitivity follows the increasing voltage rail from the 200C thru to the 600C (same gain?)
For the 600C full output comes from 3.4 V RMS. The DAC I have borrowed at full output (ie 0dB volume setting) is barely warming it up. Most DACs aren't going to get the signal level I need. So - preamp is needed vs direct output from DAC.  Think I already knew this ...

Edited by n0bleINtP

Just now, n0bleINtP said:

For the Krell FPB C types it is >100kΩ. Rather high value (a good thing)

More interestingly input sensitivity follows the increasing voltage rail from the 200C thru to the 600C (same gain?)
For the 600C full output comes from 3.4 V RMS. The DAC I have borrowed at full output (ie 0dB volume setting) is barely warming it up. Most DACs aren't going to get the signal level I need going direct. So - preamp is needed vs direct output from DAC.  Think I already knew this ...

Very good. Any preamp will do then. The latest Suprateks are 2k ohm output. I had gain issues with my DAC out too and the preamp fixed those to levels loud enough to blow my speakers if I'm not careful now.

Lots of choices for you , but having owned 2 , I highly recommend the W4S STP-SE pre. Incredibly transparent, hybrid passive/active. I had mine with W4S sx1000 mono amps, bel canto ref100m amps and a Bryson 4bsst2 . 

As an alternative - a Prima Luna valve pre might be a good match ? 

Thank you @cafe67  

Actually made a choice - and purchased a Supratek Cabernet Dual from the FS section.
A perverse mix cosmetically and otherwise, ie Darth Vader (Krell) and Steam Punk beauty (Supratek)

Perverse works for me. Hoping for some really special magic from the Supratek :) 
Everyone tells me it has that in spades ...

18 minutes ago, n0bleINtP said:

Thank you @cafe67  

Actually made a choice - and purchased a Supratek Cabernet Dual from the FS section.
A perverse mix cosmetically and otherwise, ie Darth Vader (Krell) and Steam Punk beauty (Supratek)

Perverse works for me. Hoping for some really special magic from the Supratek :) 

Well done - the Supratek that my mate Con ( @Ittaku ) has, sounds wonderful!  :thumb:

Andy

22 minutes ago, n0bleINtP said:

Thank you @cafe67  

Let me know how it goes. Looking for a preamp for my FPB also.

visual dissonance

might need to keep them far away from each other :)

20190522_160704_resized.thumb.jpg.93b10a380e7407f681c3fcf541a0c532.jpg

IMG_20190605_101616.jpg.13bd94d34845547c7029d3c0f6a7c1a1.jpg

22 minutes ago, n0bleINtP said:

visual dissonance

might need to keep them far away from each other :)

20190522_160704_resized.thumb.jpg.93b10a380e7407f681c3fcf541a0c532.jpg

IMG_20190605_101616.jpg.13bd94d34845547c7029d3c0f6a7c1a1.jpg

Good on you David, the fact that the Supratek was over here for a tune up by the builder, reasonably priced and something a bit different/special makes it a no brainer. Congrats.

Has the Supratek arrived?

1 minute ago, kelossus said:

Has the Supratek arrived?

No, not yet. Was hoping to pay it a visit over the weekend - will see how that goes. A trip to Margaret River is not a chore. Fine wines, fine food etc.

Otherwise it will be heading up to Perth, hopefully next week. Impatience is killing me ...  ( we all know that feeling :) )

On 12/06/2019 at 10:09 PM, kelossus said:

Let me know how it goes. Looking for a preamp for my FPB also.

Yes also curious to know what the result is.

On 10/06/2019 at 1:47 AM, n0bleINtP said:

I was barely out of my teens when CD entered the world. Was prejudiced from then on. With the crap consumer gear of that time CD sounded so obviously better.

Got so many many clues, ie. absolutely loved hearing vinyl when I didn't know it was playing. So easy to dismiss vinyl - the sound was inaccurate, colored. Accurate reproduction (rather than music) was always the ultimate goal.

Older and wiser I can see how silly that was: The point is to enjoy? Why punish yourself with what you like less? The vinyl revival is a delightful counter revolution to have observed. I really need to join in

Lastly your suggestion on Vincent SA-T8 was timely. Earlier today I might have actually found a brand new one gathering dust as NOS somewhere. That would be a leap into the unknown - but with your recommendation - buying unseen and unheard doesn't feel quite so insane :) 

Hi David, if you did find one, could you forward that information to me please.