Recommendations: Performance Art, epic pieces, and Magnum Opi

Folks,

I’m after recommendations for longer listening sessions.

I love Laurie Anderson’s 4.5 hour work ‘United States ‘, and would like to hear more of these kind of works.

I’m not locked in to any particular style or period, and don’t mind experimental stuff.

What have you got to recommend?

Thanks,

Jason.

Do mixes count?

dj-basilisk-the-colours-of-ektoplazm-300

DJ Basilisk - The Colours Of Ektoplazm -- a 5 hour mix described as "explores the incredible diversity of Ektoplazm’s electronic music catalogue, shifting seamlessly between intricate breakbeat patterns and pulsating four-by-four rhythms, touching on all points of the sonic spectrum from deep trance and psy dub to psybreaks, glitch, IDM, and beatless ambient". Free lossless download from Ektoplazm. 

--Geoff

1 hour ago, hired goon said:

Do mixes count?

I don’t see why not. Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll see if I can find it and give it a listen.

Slowing down someone else’s work just to make it take longer, to me, is not art. It’s not really anything actually.

Writing a slow, or one note per century type of thing, is art, but only the first time it was done. Since then it’s fairly irrelevant, and pretty much me-too-ism.

Still after suggestions for something to actually sit down and listen to, whether it be beautiful, thought provoking, mind bending, or just plain weird.

Cheers,

Jason.

22 minutes ago, koputai said:

I don’t see why not. Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll see if I can find it and give it a listen.

Just click the link ... there are MP3, FLAC, and WAV downloads.

This one is 8 hours:

a3815704341_14.jpg

Robert Rich - Perpetual -- was available on blu-ray for a while, could be that only the lossless download is available now.

--Geoff

27 minutes ago, koputai said:

Still after suggestions for something to actually sit down and listen to, whether it be beautiful, thought provoking, mind bending, or just plain weird.

You could do worse than spend US$1 to purchase the entire 300+ album discography of Wings Of An Angel, who releases an album every couple of days, many of which include multiple tracks of over an hour in length (I've seen a couple at 2 hours). Covers all styles: pure ambient, drone, atonal piano wanderings, free jazz,. classical, etc.

--Geoff

a0260645088_14.jpg

Andy Pickford - Organon -- this bloke creates 3.5 hour electronic albums. You can get either the mixed versions (3 tracks) or the unmixed minute track versions (15 tracks). Not cheap at around 20 quid per album, but it could be worth a punt if that's yer thang.

--Geoff

If yer after "longer listening sessions" then perhaps some collections would work? Not a magnum opus per se, but should be a consistent listening experience spanning multiple hours.

Examples:

a2022321770_14.jpg  

Eamonn Watt / The Virtual Conductor - The Complete Collection (2012 - 2018) -- 91 tracks of kinda classical stuff. 

a0377873437_14.jpg

Tonepoet - Relics -- 51 ambient pieces from multiple albums.

--Geoff

a0493619604_14.jpg

Periskop - 40 -- described as "a forty album release with selected solo music work of the Danish electronic music producer Danny Kreutzfeldt from 1999-2012. In total 32 hrs 20 mins 04 secs of dark ambient, deep techno, melancholic electronica and submarine noise has been recompiled, reworked and remastered out of a larger bulk of previously released and unreleased tracks. The forty albums work as separate albums in different styles and as a coherent whole."

--Geoff