Marantz 1200 amplifier

Guest Simonon

I have restored some bad cases but that one is the worst I have seen. A good scrub with soapy water and rinse looks like the only answer. I would be careful soaking the mains transformer and remove it before soaking and look at an alternate way to clean it. The transformer windings will need to be checked for shorted turns and meggered for leakage to ground. After cleaning the unit I would place overnight in an oven at around 60 degrees to dry. Possum wee is highly corrosive and I would expect eaten copper tracks and component leads. Hopefully it has not penetrated the mains transformer or even the printed circuit boards. Good luck with that one.

11 hours ago, Simonon said:

I have restored some bad cases but that one is the worst I have seen. A good scrub with soapy water and rinse looks like the only answer. I would be careful soaking the mains transformer and remove it before soaking and look at an alternate way to clean it. The transformer windings will need to be checked for shorted turns and meggered for leakage to ground. After cleaning the unit I would place overnight in an oven at around 60 degrees to dry. Possum wee is highly corrosive and I would expect eaten copper tracks and component leads. Hopefully it has not penetrated the mains transformer or even the printed circuit boards. Good luck with that one.

Thanks for the tips! I was going to use a hairdryer, but I like the oven idea.

And I wouldn't have taken out the transformer.  

• 2 weeks later...

?.

Wow, some job in hand, I would take out all the main units (amp, caps, boards, transformer and then probably scrub and wash with brush and use a blower, then the oven).

If you can save the boards (not so much the components on it, except maybe a few) and the transformer, you can save this unit, hard to find a donor transformer and an equivalent toroidal does not fit in that small space. So take some small steps to clean, don't rush. also have handy some acetone to get that stubborn gunk off.

Do not use water on the preamp connector board (the one with the pots on it). clean it manually with Deoxit D5 or acetone only.

Have you fixed a 1200/1200B or a 240/250/250M before?. ?

On 20/06/2019 at 9:06 PM, RonnieG said:

?.

Wow, some job in hand, I would take out all the main units (amp, caps, boards, transformer and then probably scrub and wash with brush and use a blower, then the oven).

If you can save the boards (not so much the components on it, except maybe a few) and the transformer, you can save this unit, hard to find a donor transformer and an equivalent toroidal does not fit in that small space. So take some small steps to clean, don't rush. also have handy some acetone to get that stubborn gunk off.

Do not use water on the preamp connector board (the one with the pots on it). clean it manually with Deoxit D5 or acetone only.

Ah no, I have a bit of a fear of electronics. Was badly electrocuted as a toddler. But I'm working on it! Mechanically minded though. 

20190626_145348.jpg

20190626_145339.jpg

20190626_144555.jpg

15615325679407639456271539279530.jpg

15615326830003166817843340378552.jpg

• Like 5

Yes very nice work, but why not some new yellow chromating on the chassis and parts? Would have been nice but also rather cheap, at least it was last time I did it some twenty+ years ago. Well, a little late for that now, but maybe next time. :-)

Best wishes from Sweden, the land of mooses.

Zap

• Like 1

On 20/06/2019 at 11:06 PM, RonnieG said:

?.

Did you mean Isopropyl Alcohol? Acetone is a bit too aggressive on a lot of plastics.

1 hour ago, bob_m_54 said:

Did you mean Isopropyl Alcohol? Acetone is a bit too aggressive on a lot of plastics.

On plastics yes, but not for the PCB boards. the recommendation to use acetone  was only for the connector board, as using water with pots and the type of connectors used on that board is not recommended. That board is the weakest link in the unit  and yes Isopropyl  Alcohol will also do the job..

I also use acetone to take out that stubborn glue used in marantz units to hold capacitors in place., works well compared to any other methods i know of.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Yes, unfortunately it can also remove component markings. Much safer to use Isopropyl.

Yes agreed, but again there are no markings on that connector board, now you don't need Acetone everywhere, just enough in some areas. if one does not know, then yes play safe with Isopropyl alcohol and even that can remove some markings like the ones on the Marantz 16/18/19. 

53 minutes ago, Ahh- Schnoo Schnoo said:

Don't know why Zap, but the land of mooses made me LOL.

Greetings from Australia ?

That was my aim, Cheers! ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe how well she cleaned up. I bet it going to smell awful when it warms up though. Had possums in the roof of an old queenslander when i was a little kid. Never will forget how bad that stuff smells. Can only imagine what age and heat would do to it. Good work though!  looks like you got the most of it out.

14 hours ago, VA50 said:

Can't believe how well she cleaned up. I bet it going to smell awful when it warms up though. Had possums in the roof of an old queenslander when i was a little kid. Never will forget how bad that stuff smells. Can only imagine what age and heat would do to it. Good work though!  looks like you got the most of it out.

I have to say I was a bit worried about the smell, especially in my oven, and I didn't want to have to do it again. So when I bathed it, I really bathed it! 

I gave it a good spray with a product from ecoworx. Then a couple of wash and rinses with pine-0-cleen floor cleaner. 

Only lingering smell as it warmed up was a hint of pomegranate blossom. ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leonie Elrick said:

I have to say I was a bit worried about the smell, especially in my oven, and I didn't want to have to do it again. So when I bathed it, I really bathed it! 

I gave it a good spray with a product from ecoworx. Then a couple of wash and rinses with pine-0-cleen floor cleaner. 

Only lingering smell as it warmed up was a hint of pomegranate blossom. ?

Pomegranate blossom, a long way from marantz smell but a damn sight better then possum pee ? I spot a TA-xxx series sony on the shelf. vfet? or below the vfet series? looks a lot like my old TA-5650.

46 minutes ago, VA50 said:

Pomegranate blossom, a long way from marantz smell but a damn sight better then possum pee ? I spot a TA-xxx series sony on the shelf. vfet? or below the vfet series? looks a lot like my old TA-5650.

TA3650, it's my workhorse, and does a great job