Recommendation for a pre amp please

my experience with ML amps of this era is that the power amps sounded relatively bright, which matched their rather softer sounding preamps. I haven't personally owned the 431 exactly but have owned the 300 and 500 series amps. They were always best when matched with their own preamps. 

1 minute ago, statman said:

I've done a very extensive and detailed guide to previewing tube preamps.  

Its on my blog www.supratekaudio.blogspot.com.au

If moderators wont allow the link I'll paste it here as text.

That was a great read. I am in the market for a tube preamp also and Supratek is on the short list. Just a quick question:

I require balanced outputs as I run a reasonably long run from my preamp to my electronic crossover. You stated a 600 ohm output impedance as standard for your 6sn7 models, what is the impedance at lower frequencies like 20hz?

Pretty much the same at 20Hz as 1000hz.

I put quite a lot of explanation into the reading of specs in the article, but its easy enough to build a preamp with extraordinary specs that sounds quite horrible. 

Phase coherence is the big one when it comes to determining the difference between a great and middling preamp, but thats for another day.  

53 minutes ago, statman said:

Phase coherence is the big one when it comes to determining the difference between a great and middling preamp, but that's for another day.

"Phase coherence"?  I'm wondering how come phase would vary across a preamp's FR?

(I can understand that at either end of the FR - say around the HF & LF -1dB points - the frequency roll-off creates phase changes ... but I don't understand what would cause phase changes within the rest of the preamp's FR?)

On 15/06/2019 at 1:30 PM, kelossus said:

That was a great read. I am in the market for a tube preamp also and Supratek is on the short list.

2 mates of mine own Supratek preamps - they certainly should be on your short list!  :thumb:

On 15/06/2019 at 1:30 PM, kelossus said:

I require balanced outputs as I run a reasonably long run from my preamp to my electronic crossover.

What's the length of your run from preamp to active XO?

In my last system, I had 11m RCA interconnects between preamp and active (mono) XOs - with no issues in terms of  treble roll-off or noise.  So I'm doubting you really do need to go to balanced interconnects.  Mind you, I did make sure to use very low capacitance cable.

Andy

12 minutes ago, DEANO23 said:

Okay I haven't read the whole lot but are we talking balanced or unbalanced  ( hate saying that because it infers inferiority ) ? 

If your post is asking about my mention of 11m interconnects ... "RCA interconnects" are, by definition, unbalanced.

Andy

Okay I haven't read the whole lot but are we talking balanced or unbalanced  ( hate saying that because it infers inferiority ) ? Yes of course I fully understand that I for one prefer balanced because it just leads to less problems and to me sound "just better". I'm thinking if selling my Ayre preamp because it's getting little real use other than a passive home theatre pass through.