Herbie Hancock

Oh. My. God... What a gig. I saw him play the Canberra Theatre on Friday night and I'm still recovering. The crowd was great and he and the band responded leaving nothing in the tank by the end of the show. If I could get tickets I'd be on a plane to Melbourne to see him perform the Hammer Hall tonight or the Sydney Opera House tomorrow.

The three piece band he has are, obviously, next level:  Lionel Loueke on synth guitar and vocals, James Genus on bass and Vinnie Colaiuta on drums. Vincent! An insanely talented line up, and then there's Hancock himself who age hasn't wearied.

I was honestly blown away and it's likely the best performance I've experienced to-date.

Beg, borrow, steal a ticket by any means - you won't regret it.

edit: If anyone knows where I can get or look for a soundboard recording from this tour I would much appreciate it.

HH4.jpg

HH1.jpg

HH2.jpg

HH3.jpg

HH6.jpg

HH7.jpg

pics: Canberra Jazz Blog

Edited by wim
  • Like 5

On 09/06/2019 at 10:55 AM, evil c said:

Sadly I put up a WTB for tix to one of Herbie's shows - sadly none forthcoming and strangely not feeling comforted by your glowing praise! ?

Did you make it to the gig?

Just now, wim said:

Did you make it to the gig?

Sadly despite single tickets being pointed out to me by some kind soul, wife had made dinner plans in the interim so afraid not.

?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, evil c said:

Sadly despite single tickets being pointed out to me by some kind soul, wife had made dinner plans in the interim so afraid not.

?

Oh noes. That was difficult to read. I hope for dessert you had watermelon, man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, t_mike said:

I'll see him when he turns Rhode Island into Cantaloupe Island. 

He is amazing in that I'm searching for the jazz he brought that night and not finding it.

I went to the gig at the Sydney Opera House last night. He's a true genious, and what a great band!

I was just a bit disappointed by the bad sound quality. The grand piano didn't sound natural, the base was blurry, and the drums were dominated by the snare and cymbals. I think they cranked the volume up too much, as in the quieter passages the sound was much more balanced. Is it just me, or did anyone else experience the same?

All that said, it was a great privilege to see Herbie Hancock live, and we had a beautiful night!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wim said:

He is amazing in that I'm searching for the jazz he brought that night and not finding it.

The jazz musos of his generation, and in general really, are quite dynamic in that they continually explore and push their boundaries. This journey through music means their style and sound is always changing. What he plays now will eventually turn up on u-choob, by then his music will have ventured on to new ground again.

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/06/2019 at 10:23 PM, Lukoo said:

I went to the gig at the Sydney Opera House last night. He's a true genious, and what a great band!

I was just a bit disappointed by the bad sound quality. The grand piano didn't sound natural, the base was blurry, and the drums were dominated by the snare and cymbals. I think they cranked the volume up too much, as in the quieter passages the sound was much more balanced. Is it just me, or did anyone else experience the same?

All that said, it was a great privilege to see Herbie Hancock live, and we had a beautiful night!

I had the same experience at the Opera House several years ago. The mix was totally dominated by the drums and the overall sound was, as you said, bad. The show was billed as a look back through his Blue Note catelog. A five to seven minute medley, much of the Imagine Project and Joni Letters and of course Chameleon. I've been to a number of shows, probably approaching 100 and this one was way down the list. With that being said, it was Herbie Hancock. 

• Like 1