Posted (edited)

Just in the process of helping a fellow SNA member  set up a new music server.

I have used Daphile a fair while ago and I loved the functionality but the sound quality was down a tad  compaired to the best commercial music servers.

Also DSD was very clunky & only low rates supported.

Wow things sure have changed!

Just downloaded and installed the latest version from here.

https://www.daphile.com/#overview

Most important is to use the 64-bit x86 real time kernel version.

This version definitely sounds better than the others.

My setup was a Jetway 12v mini-ITX M/B, SOtM PCI USB output card & my custom 12v Linear PSU.

Sound Quality

It has definitely improved a lot from earlier versions -  I would rate it right up there with the commercial stuff now.

Native DSD was faultless - even with my Atom based M/B  all rates of DSD played perfectly including DSD 512.

The install is dead easy with no Linux coding stuff required.

Once installed from the USB thumb drive you then login remotely with a PC.

The GUI is very slick  with tons of nice audiophile options  including convolution  filters.

https://www.daphile.com/#features

You end up with a superb totally headless music server & top sound quality to match.

There is a good range of apps for remote control operation.

I use iPeng 9 which gives a lovely remote interface on my iPad Pro.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-8/

You can add apps for Tidal and Spotify.

Best part of all it’s totally free!

Definitely worth trying in my opinion.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll give it a shot!

Thanks OP! That sounds interesting. I feel like giving it a shot.  I have recently setup a Mac Mini to host my audio files in conjunction with iTunes, Plex and Audirvana -  I'm not happy with the mix but I was too lazy to try something else. I'd like to ditch iTunes all together so the cd ripping and metadata editing bit is very important to me.  

what other commercial music server platform have you tried recently for comparison? 

Thanks,

Rod

Hi Rod,

I have been playing with a few different ones

Vortexbox 2.4 

https://wiki.vortexbox.org/

This was my first choice as I have used it in the past & it sounds very good.

It is also what Antipodes servers are based on.

It did sound pretty good but the install is quite long & bit fiddly.

The main problem was I could not get DSD to work.

Next choice was Snakeoil.

Agent Kith is a great guy & very helpful.

Website and online forums are good too.

The install takes awhile with a few updates needed & a plug-in for DSD use.

It took a while but I eventually got DSD to work but it was limited to DSD256.

Also a big pop between DSD to PCM.

Sound quality was very good.

The ball is still out on this one and I have been in touch with Agent Kith  to see if I can get a fix for the pop and DSD 512.

Next was Daphile.

What I especially like about this it is a very simple quick install - only 200M operating system size. 

Also every thing  works perfectly straight up from the install.

No pops, DSD all good etc.

Sound quality too was very good.

When I get more time I will try a more critical sound comparison between the three.

Also I’m thinking of upgrading my hardware.

Maybe some  of my Kraftwerk style power supplies for the motherboard, SOtM card & HD - all seperate.

Also I  I’ll probably use a solid-state drive as they have dropped massively price wise &  less interference generated from the drive.

13 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Also I’m thinking of upgrading my hardware.

Maybe not for you because you love to tinker with electronics, but an Intel NUC with SSD is an option for those people who want grunt in a streamer to do Roon, upscaling, convolution etc.  Was surprised how close an Intel NUC with standard power supply came to a SMS-200 Ultra Neo with a SPS-500 PSU. 

Thanks OP! That sounds interesting. I feel like giving it a shot.  I have recently setup a Mac Mini to host my audio files in conjunction with iTunes, Plex and Audirvana -  I'm not happy with the mix but I was too lazy to try something else. I'd like to ditch iTunes all together so the cd ripping and metadata editing bit is very important to me.  

what other commercial music server platform have you tried recently for comparison? 

Thanks,

Rod

I have a Mac Mini connected to my 2ch system through a Luxman DA-250 DAC. Used to use iTunes but now Audirvana+ exclusively. Library of both iTunes files and other hires stuff, including DSD, originally on an external HDD, but now just access music files straight off a Synology NAS on the network. Tidal is integrated as well. Works well, the Mini also uses a plasma screen as a monitor, but I normally run headless using the Audirvana app on the iPad.
I did try Amarra for a while, but stuck with Audirvana.

@DilettantequeI’m the SNAer that Clay is helping. My old DS Reference is playing up (my guess is the old disc hard drive) and DSD is very intermittent. I will buy a new hard drive and get my IT fixit guy to do the installation of Daphile. The very old software the DS uses is no longer supported and I am guessing/hoping that the rest of the system has lots of life left. 

Here’s a few photos. SOtM upgraded by Clay. 

9E5A413E-DD9A-4188-8E8C-F762944E65CF.jpeg

0BF09940-1094-42B5-9B97-E6BBFE4BF4A8.jpeg

0F49F928-4139-434D-A15B-8C6D2330DF62.jpeg

74D249ED-CABA-4F5B-8B94-2C71940DDE71.jpeg

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Well PKay, how does it sound?

DSD OK?

Ok Clay, firstly a huge thank you for suggesting Daphile. My old Antipodes DS Ref was playing up with fairly old software that was unstable and no longer playing DSD. 

After discussions back and forth with Clay I thought I would try and change hard drive and software. The DS has a very good linear power supply and SOtM card which would have been a waste to bin. 

After a bit of research I bought a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo (which are going for very good prices at the moment). Loading Daphile was a bit tricky for an amateur playing with bios for the first time. Eventually I could download some music. Linking up my Tidal account was very easy/simple. 

Now firstly no issues playing DSD 256 and hires files. I’ll have to find a 512 to try. No pops or noises and it is very stable. Sounds fantastic and well worth the effort. Unfortunately my system is limited to the 32 bit program however as this is a Linux system it handles it brilliantly.

Tidal also sounds great. 

Edited by PKay

Hi Clay, have you tried volumio and would you have an opinion on how it stacks up against the others?

Hi - yes I did try it a while back with a Raspberry Pi setup - I did not like the very basic web base remote vs the  iPeng app which is very feature rich with lots more options.

From memory the sound was fine.

iPeng is a seriously good app, it makes the headless application really easy to use without requiring you to go to a remote computer.  Also works with both iphone and ipad on the one account.