Sign in to follow this  
Steam

T.H.E SHOW. Long beach California

Posted (edited)

Random thoughts from The Home Entertainment Show in long beach California

Five floors of gear plus one floor for the marketplace (records n Stuff)

‘I think the organisers will be disappointed - seem to be very few atendee’s.   Seemed a bigger crowd when it was held near Newport Beach.  Still good for me as I can grab a front row seat easily.

E28938FE-17CF-459A-ACFC-8B3BBE223C2D.thumb.jpeg.a266b246f9e9172a9a11050b1f3dfeaf.jpeg

FBBEA8F6-5F77-442A-BA2E-645CAC02873D.thumb.jpeg.0c0327ec9d0ede6a04bf6041d18b5955.jpeg

Edited by Steam

Posted (edited)

B&W and Mac

I have never warmed to the 800 series but sounding good.  Playing Tom Waits.

84091E25-5EFF-40BC-9658-8795BE89471C.thumb.jpeg.0f460b51c9ed7df6f545041c905f2c9b.jpeg

Edited by Steam

ATC.  Sounding very impressive 

US$70K all active CDM 50.  Remind me of the PMC MB2SE for obvious reason.

CDA64BC6-F667-4A48-9780-9BA643F12126.thumb.jpeg.6903714500a277b96289a74f839db828.jpeg

Posted (edited)

My first audition of the Magico A3

First impressions are that they are good.  But I’m not totally convinced I would spend on them.  Will go back later for a second try

27A7DE0A-06FE-445F-B5CF-B5EE5BAE0EC2.thumb.jpeg.9e000819029de38999c8d796f5b81bd5.jpeg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a1aee8f6a7a51714

Edited by Steam

Posted (edited)

Wow.  This is where I just burnt my imaginary budget.  Gryphon driving the Magico S5 v2.  Dire Straits brothers in arms and kraftwork.  Bloody fantastic.  Two other rooms have the Magico M2 which are higher in the range above but I’m taking this setup.

B5E4F580-FACA-4F1F-B633-5B2A43079DCA.thumb.jpeg.14c7f04a091eeb205c13d2ac17b76368.jpeg

Edited by Steam

Posted (edited)

Now trying Gryphon mojo’s. Tiny room.

very nice.  Sound bigger than they look.

D400B828-558D-4354-B420-645EA986BC19.thumb.jpeg.c7987e96bda137646de1a257064cef78.jpeg

Edited by Steam

5 hours ago, Steam said:

Wow.  This is where I just burnt my imaginary budget.  Gryphon driving the Magico S5 v2.  Dire Straits brothers in arms and kraftwork.  Bloody fantastic.  Two other rooms have the Magico M2 which are higher in the range above but I’m taking this setup.

B5E4F580-FACA-4F1F-B633-5B2A43079DCA.thumb.jpeg.14c7f04a091eeb205c13d2ac17b76368.jpeg

Hi Nic,

I would like a pair the Magicos.  Can you fit them in your luggage?

Thanks

John

42 minutes ago, Assisi said:

Hi Nic,

I would like a pair the Magicos.  Can you fit them in your luggage?

Thanks

John

No need..  I think you can buy them with your frequent flyer points!

Wilson Benesch resolution.

another speaker I have never heard.  Very nice sound.  I’m not a fan of the reversed drivers look.  Would certainly draw comment.

7FD37B64-D5B2-40FA-A40A-2B6CE78116D1.thumb.jpeg.28b4c4887f6febcb5cb3fae9baeeda6c.jpeg

Speaking of looks it sounded very good but the D’Agostino progression integrated is no looker in my book.  To me it looks like a cheap knock off attempt at the momentum.  If I had one it would be out of sight.

532D04C6-7192-4D60-B6EA-DFE1298A8B0D.thumb.jpeg.bef6875d329d26b19fda1506ec503722.jpeg

97F52B07-31B5-46E9-ACC8-52E5BC64C747.thumb.jpeg.3e34d2c0254ffe922600dbbafff7ebb9.jpeg

Magico M2 and VAC

No often at a show you get 25mins of brothers in arms with one other person in the room.  The M2s are very impressive but I prefer the extra oomph in the bass from the S5s.  I suspect if I had the M2’s I would be very happy.  The other thing I like is the M2’s look costly despite being Matt black.  No need for gold bling or diamonds

06D53ABA-940C-420B-AC8F-144E6DCBB4AE.thumb.jpeg.ce7d92629895e4b27de889a78fe5936e.jpeg

M2’s again with Burmeister

113EE97B-ED7B-4A08-8FE4-B1F99A376DDC.thumb.jpeg.a0de0528ab5d76dfd9adf64a2d565683.jpeg

No photos but

MBL Corona line looked the part in white.  As always I love the sound of the MBL speakers.

Sanders speakers -  flat panel with transmission line bass.  Think Martin Logan type speaker.  Amazing image - but you had to sit dead center.  They only put one column of chairs in the room so not trying to pretend otherwise.

Last few odds n ends

B79EF3C9-63E1-48F6-9927-D5EA09DC095A.thumb.jpeg.6aa8f1474f6f6c6baca45dea1b096730.jpeg

E2FD7309-75FD-4696-A887-829D151D9247.thumb.jpeg.af9fdb9c1d26300c663b7b41159a8d07.jpeg

26F4EE46-1502-4C68-BE8E-66B36C151E77.thumb.jpeg.9dd66f10c1eff295bf5449d9f8df2f5d.jpeg

That's some central heating there in the last pic with the Ayon's :)

Loving the pics and commentary, thanks for posting this.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cono28
      Item: Magico V3 Loudspeakers
      Price: 12k
      Item Condition: Prefect
      Reason for selling: Getting out of this hobby😨
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, bank transfer. 
      Extra Info: This is one of the model made Magico famous, Beautiful to look at ,engaging sound, truly a end game speaker.Have all the timber crate and packaging material came with.total weight about 100kg each,at this stage prefer local pick up. last 2 picture from web. RRP : 39K.
      Description: Three-way, sealed-box, floorstanding loudspeaker. Drive-units: 1" (25mm) ring-radiator tweeter, 6" (152mm) Nano-Tec midrange cone, two 7" (178mm) Nano-Tec woofer cones. Frequency range: 32Hz–40kHz. Sensitivity: 89dB/2.83V/m. Nominal impedance: 4 ohms. Recommended power: 50–300Wpc.
      Dimensions: 42" (1050mm) H by 12" (300mm) W by 15" (380mm) D. Weight: 160 lbs (72kg) each.
      Finish: Satin-varnished birch-ply, black-anodized aluminum.
      http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/magico-v3-loudspeaker-1/

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Muzza71
      Item: Mcintosh MA5200 Integrated Amplifier RRP $8995.00
      Price: Price Drop $4500.00
      Item Condition: Mint As New
      Reason for selling: NLR Need Cash
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:Second owner, Original owner purchased brand New May 2018
       Bought here from SNA member
       I will use Smarts original listing as it covers all relevant info, I have added 1 photo of my own.
      With 9 inputs, including 1 Moving Magnet phono and 3 digital inputs that will decode your digital music at up to 32 bits and 192kHz, the MA5200 provides you with enough connections and modern technology to begin building your home audio system. The Home Theater Pass Through feature will allow for seamless integration into your existing multi-channel theater system.
          "The McIntosh MA5200 is an excellent amplifier, with a quality DAC and a no fuss approach to presenting music." - Hifi Pig
      The amplifier delivers 100 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms and utilizes Power Guard® to prevent clipping and keep your speakers safe from damage. Our new High Drive headphone amplifier features increased gain and output power, and is optimized for virtually all headphone types for an enjoyable personal listening experience.
      Have Original boxes and manual, Remote.
      Can ship at Buyers expense if required.

Pictures:

Pictures:

• Guest Proshchay
      By Guest Proshchay
      I got my first chance to hear the new Boulder 1100 series amps today at Absolute Hi End with the terrific Magico S3 Mk2's. The main source for my audition was an Ayon S-10 Signature streamer. Notwithstanding the fact the Kronos Sparta was temporarily out of action & the Boulders were still running in, I have to say i'm impressed. I expected piano to sound good, but what surprised me is they also did vocals and jazz with equal aplomb. The new amps retain the effortless power, neutrality and naturalness Boulder are known for, but sound smoother and more musical than their predecessor, and are much easier on the eye. To sum up, i'd describe them as "great allrounders" .

• Guest Proshchay
      By Guest Proshchay
      Exciting times at Magico LLC with the release of the new A3 speakers! I probably don't need to add too much to the many press releases, but here are the highlights;
      The A3 is a 3 way, 4 driver sealed box floorstanding speaker & weighs 50kg The A3's cabinet can be thought of as a simplified Q series cabinet made from 1/2" thick 6061 T6 aircraft aluminium, with a brushed, anodized skin & complex internal bracing It uses a 1.1" beryllium tweeter using the same BE dome and profile as the M Project speakers It further employs Magico's latest graphene-reinforced Carbon Nano-Tec X1 midrange cone material, whilst the bass drivers use the latest Gen 8 Carbon Nano-Tec cones The x-overs use Magico's proven Elliptical symmetry technology which is made by Mundorf in Germany using top notch parts The A3 can be considered a full range speaker & has wide frequency response from 22Hz - 50kHz, though like it's bigger siblings in the S series; will need a reasonably powered amp with plenty of current to make them sing. These speakers should be right up there with other exceptional value offerings at or near their price point, incl: Joseph Audio, Devore Fidelity, Elac and others. However it's moderate load will not suit those with flea powered tube amps, so it's not for everyone. But given sufficient power and a suitable size room, the A3's might just be the best 'bang for the buck' speaker under $10kUS.
      You can find more information here.

• Guest Proshchay
      By Guest Proshchay
      I had the pleasure of catching up with my friend, Dave before Easter for a listening session & to see how his system has developed. I guess the first thing to say is, this guy is one serious audiophile. He has a dedicated, treated listening room in his expansive house which doubles as his HT room. But as you can see, 2 channel audio is his main passion. He is also a gracious host, and like most audiophiles I know, is as fussy with this coffee beans as with his audio equipment ☕.

His system is tweaked to within an inch of it's life, including a full suite of Telos Audio products incl: Quantum stickers, a Quantum Noise Reducer (QNR) + upgraded Branda Signature grounding cables, Quantum Noise Resonator (QNR), Quantum Acoustic panels & Telos Audio gold cable risers. There is an array of Stillpoints (incl: Ultra 6's + Ultra bases, Ultra Mini’s & Ultra 5's + Ultra bases under his S7's), Finite Elemente Pagode APS racks, Stillpoints Aperture panels & Gigawatt conditioners. I asked Dave about his cd collection, and he treats his cd's with a spray & machine which trims the edge off the cd's, after which a special black coating is applied to seal the edge! I was looking for crystals and talisman, but couldn't find any ?. Suffice to say, this is a finely tuned system.

Since my last visit, Dave told me he had his Telos GNR upgraded to the latest Version 3.1, which by all reports (pardon the pun), is a quantum leap forward in terms of openness and insight into the music, and upgraded the power cable on his GNR to the new flagship pc from Voodoo Cable. Aural memory can be a funny thing, but I could swear the sound was smoother than I recall, and more open. Very impressive! Dave also had his previously dormant Wilson Benesch Torus subs in action which blended in well.

Moving into our listening session, when I handed my friend a cd, he did a sort of double take and commented his Vitus MP-T201/MP-D201 combo mostly collects dust these days, since 99% of the music he listens to is on his awesome Kronos Pro + SCPS-1 via that beautiful Vitus Masterpiece phono pre. And we're talking about a €46,000 transport/dac! After warming up for a couple of hours, the Vitus combo came to life and was sounding musical and engaging on the audiophile cd's I threw at it, including Anne Bisson 'Blue Mind'(UHQCD) and Sarah Mclachlan 'Surfacing' (K2HD). The latter cd offered the most musical, full bodied sound on his system.. An easy recommendation.

Despite the enjoyment of listening to well recorded/mastered cd's on his digital front end, there is no doubt his vinyl setup is quite a bit better. The Kronos sounds more resolving, palpable and provides a closer representation of the live event. You pays, you gets as they say ?. However, I can honestly say If I never owned a reference vinyl setup like my friend's, I could be perfectly happy with his transport/dac combo or my current Vitus cdp..

We drove the S7’s to high SPL's, and they sounded effortless with plenty of headroom fed by the Vitus SM-102 mono's & MP-L201 linestage, with Torus subs in support. Vitus and Magico Signature/Masterpiece series have great synergy imho. Despite the fact there was a little brightness, due I suspect to recent changes to his system/room and lack of warm up time, It was a very enjoyable listening session. It's nice to be able to share in the fellowship of our hobby with like-minded audiophiles, and have the opportunity to discover new music. Hope you enjoy the photos and video. I apologize in advance for the poor lighting in the video, but the photos are a lot clearer! ?.