wolster

Tennis Talk

51 minutes ago, wolster said:

Rafal looked good last night, as did Kyrios, although he needs to work on those lapses of concentration. The reason why most pundits don't see him going too deep in a major. I hope he can prove them wrong.

Yep, I would like to see Kyrgios get over the Russian Khachanov and Rafa to get past his countryman, Carreno Busta In their 3rd round matches, because that then sets up Rafa to play Nick in the round of 16. There is definitely no love lost between that pair so it makes for an interesting match up.

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

1 hour ago, wolster said:

Rafal looked good last night, as did Kyrios, although he needs to work on those lapses of concentration. The reason why most pundits don't see him going too deep in a major. I hope he can prove them wrong.

Kyrios has no hope of winning any major, let alone beating Nadal on a slow Aus open court over 5 Sets.

He should best the Russian as he is almost as unfit as Nick is.

Nick has the concentration and determination of a 13 year old boy who has just discovered puberty.   

Playing beat of 5 sets is beyond his mental capabilities against the best players.   

He is also unfit. Surprising since he is surrounded by very fit Aussie players you would think he would be motivated by them- Millman, De Minuar of course Hewitt.

That said,  Kyrios is great to watch. When he is focused he plays wonderful tennis.  

When is " loses it ", the trainwreck is invariably funny but otoh a bit sad.

Edited by metal beat

I can scarcely believe the smooth power, anticipation and composure of Qiang Wang. I love watching Serena but she was completely outplayed and Wang is serving for the match as I type.

Woah......Serena just broke back  for 5-5 in the 2nd set.....an awesome match.

And we're in a tiebreak

And it's the 3rd set. Wang slightly more consistent, Serena producing seemingly unlimited amounts of Serena-magic to fend off break points virtually every service game.

Slight edge for Wang, however not dismissing Serena at all.

4-4 in the third.

You bloody beauty!!

That graceless grunting Williams is out!!

Well done Wang.

Well, at 6 -5 up and match point at 30:40, Wang grows a brick on her elbow!😂 Managed to get there on the next match point though, thanks to a Serena error. 

Edited by cheekyboy

2 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Well, at 6 -5 up and match point at 30:40, Wang growers a brick on her elbow!😂 Managed to get there on the next match point though, thanks to a Serena error. 

Sensational hey Keith. Those first two match points she choked.

Hopefully Williams will retire with her best bud Caroline .   If I never see Williams play tennis again, it will be too soon.

Edited by metal beat

2 hours ago, metal beat said:

You bloody beauty!!

That graceless grunting Williams is out!!

Well done Wang.

Totally agree and the hope that Serena would lose was the only reason I sat through this too! Competitive tennis I know, but boy the standard is so far below the men............I think we’ve been spoiled by the ATP Cup and some of the men’s matches so far at the Open.

How were the show courts during the first week, Shane? Did you get to watch some good matches?

Cheers Keith

17 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Totally agree and the hope that Serena would lose was the only reason I sat through this too! Competitive tennis I know, but boy the standard is so far below the men............I think we’ve been spoiled by the ATP Cup and some of the men’s matches so far at the Open.

How were the show courts during the first week, Shane? Did you get to watch some good matches?

Cheers Keith

Hi Keith

I saw plenty of the outside courts on rhe first 3 days.

Saw Dan Evans come back from 2 sets down, then lose in the 2nd round to a young Japanese pkayer.

Cilic and Raonic were impressive- no surprise they are still winning. 

In rhe girls saw Divas beat Anisimova, Henin win and my fav Kontaveit kill the young Aussie Sharma.  Kontaveit has superb ground strokes. 

Plenty of other matches as well.

Great fun.

2 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Hi Keith

I saw plenty of the outside courts on rhe first 3 days.

Saw Dan Evans come back from 2 sets down, then lose in the 2nd round to a young Japanese pkayer.

Cilic and Raonic were impressive- no surprise they are still winning. 

In rhe girls saw Divas beat Anisimova, Henin win and my fav Kontaveit kill the young Aussie Sharma.  Kontaveit has superb ground strokes. 

Plenty of other matches as well.

Great fun.

That's good mate, obviously you had no problem getting into those venues?

How gracious was Serena in her press conference following her loss. No excuses from her and all credit to her opponent............NOT!!:ohmy:

Roger was bloody lucky to get out of his match against Millman. I fell asleep in front of the TV in the fourth set and missed the last set and a half.:mad: I know, it's an age thing.:hmm:

Cheers,

Keith

12 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

That's good mate, obviously you had no problem getting into those venues?

How gracious was Serena in her press conference following her loss. No excuses from her and all credit to her opponent............NOT!!:ohmy:

Roger was bloody lucky to get out of his match against Millman. I fell asleep in front of the TV in the fourth set and missed the last set and a half.:mad: I know, it's an age thing.:hmm:

Cheers,

Keith

Keith, no problems with the ladies matches , more with the mens. Raonic and Cilic had to wait a while.  Both played court 19, which we far too small. 

Imo, they need to build 2 more court 3 size courts.

I just watch the Serena interview.  They even asked her if Wang played better this time, twice. She gave zero praise to Wang and said it was all her terrible play. 

Serena Wiliams really is a classless, graceless human being.

Didn't catch the Millman effort but heard Roger say he was preparing and explanation on why be lost.

Must have been some match.

28 minutes ago, wolster said:

Didn't catch the Millman effort but heard Roger say he was preparing and explanation on why be lost.

Must have been some match.

Was a great match. The eyes were struggling in the 4th and thought Roger was going to walk away with it but I think Millman’s fitness came to the fore. In the end Millman will have nightmares over that choke. 8-4 up in a first to 10 match breaker with 2 serves to come and he loses 6 straight points. 

I’ve never really thought he was of the standard, but he creamed his ground strokes with a dare and consistency I didn’t think any Aussie was capable of. He certainly likes the Federer matchup and playing without fear of losing. In the end fear of losing Once it was on a platter probably cost him

Anett Kontaveit - 0 and 1 against Bencic to go into the 4th round. 

She played awesome today, as she did when I saw her live on Tuesday.

Go girl!!

Great chance to make the qtrs against Halep.

Well done Nick.   Huge win over 5 sets.  Great to see him dig deep in the longest match of his career. 

I hope he recovers well, as Rafa will wipe the floor of him if he is not 100%.

Well done Stan Wawrinka, up in five sets over Medvedev. Love the way Stan plays and one of the best produced backhands you’re ever likely to see.

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

Excellent effort from Nick against Rafa.   Tried his guts out to the end.

He even earnt the respect of Nadal.

Overall, Nadal is a machine .

Will we ever see Nick give 100% for an entire match? His performance last night was a vast improvement over previous efforts, but there was still the odd lazy/'don't care' shot that allowed Rafa an easy set-up or direct point.

Sadly, I just don't think he has it in him, mentally, to reach his potential. He has oodles of talent, but can't seem to focus entirely within those white lines. Outbursts at his box, the umpire, the crowd, himself...you can see in his eyes that he's not always focused on the game at hand.

Men's quarters have shaped up to be a beauty.

Raonic and Joker should be a great game, both have been in very good form this tournament, but I think/hope Joker gets through.

Nadal over Thiem, Roger over Sandgren and Zverev over Stan.

6 hours ago, ~Spyne~ said:

Will we ever see Nick give 100% for an entire match? His performance last night was a vast improvement over previous efforts, but there was still the odd lazy/'don't care' shot that allowed Rafa an easy set-up or direct point.

Sadly, I just don't think he has it in him, mentally, to reach his potential. He has oodles of talent, but can't seem to focus entirely within those white lines. Outbursts at his box, the umpire, the crowd, himself...you can see in his eyes that he's not always focused on the game at hand.

Men's quarters have shaped up to be a beauty.

Raonic and Joker should be a great game, both have been in very good form this tournament, but I think/hope Joker gets through.

Nadal over Thiem, Roger over Sandgren and Zverev over Stan.

Agree, Spyne, re Nick Kyrgios, but his performance in this tournament and throughout the ATP Cup has been a massive improvement over his previous behaviour. He is still under threat of suspension, so it will be interesting to see how he behaves once that is lifted.

Also agree about the quarter finals and that they are shaping up to deliver some really great tennis. It is hard to bet against Djokovic and I think he'll get over Raonic as well. I'd like to see Thiem upset Rafa and I think Roger is in for a tough match against Sandgren. I hope Stan snaps Zverev, but he will need to be at the top of his game to do that though.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

Agree with others that Nick played well last night, gradually gaining more respect from the Australian public.

Did I hear right that, should Rafa win this tournament, he will become only the third player in history to win each major twice?

1 hour ago, ~Spyne~ said:

It is a work in progress, but he is growing up it seems. I was so happy to see him fight it out in the 4th when it looked like he may lose his $hit and get steam rolled. He got to several balls I expected him to give up on. I really only saw 2 points with brain fades. As much as we all want him to reach his full potential, we forget so much of pro sport is played above the shoulders. I believe he is giving as much as his personality and maturity can currently give, but that may well reach levels joe public will be happy with.

My wife asked last night if I thought Philliposous would regret his career. After thinking it through, my answer was I bet he gave everything he could give to the game, so he should not have been regretful. The mind is just as big a factor as hand-eye skill. Would we ever talk somebody down because they did not have the physical ability but super mental powers of focus and determination? The world is full of gifted athletes without the will to do what is necessary to succeed and I'm okay with that. I lack the mental fortitude to keep to a diet, so I'm learning not to be so judgemental on sporting stars dedication. 

As much as I admire Rafa and Djokovic's ability, their styles do not gel with me and I'd much rather watch RF obviously, but also Stan, Zverev, Thiem etc etc. Rafa must be incredibly difficult to play, hit hitting your head against a brick wall. Last night I think experience won out.

18 minutes ago, wolster said:

Agree with others that Nick played well last night, gradually gaining more respect from the Australian public.

Did I hear right that, should Rafa win this tournament, he will become only the third player in history to win each major twice?

That's an interesting stat and of course Laver did it in two calendar years and of course Margeret Court would certainly be another.

Edit: The more I think about that stat, it would have to include Roy Emerson and what about Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova and of course, Serena Williams? Who delivered that stat, Wal?..................it doesn't seem accurate.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy