wolster

Tennis Talk

13 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

That's an interesting stat and of course Laver did it in two calendar years and of course Margeret Court would certainly be another.

Edit: The more I think about that stat, it would have to include Roy Emerson and what about Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova and of course, Serena Williams? Who delivered that stat, Wal?..................it doesn't seem accurate.

Cheers,

Keith

Men only?

As great as Rafa's record is, a more telling 1 for me is that RF is a long way ahead of him in 1/4 final slam appearances. Something like 58 to 42, but don't quote me on those figures. Djokovic is somewhere between them.

20 minutes ago, blybo said:

Men only?

As great as Rafa's record is, a more telling 1 for me is that RF is a long way ahead of him in 1/4 final slam appearances. Something like 58 to 42, but don't quote me on those figures. Djokovic is somewhere between them.

Hello Neil,

Men only? It would have to be Laver obviously because he has two calendar year Grand Slams and the other would be Roy Emerson. So yes, if Rafa can win the Australian Open again, that would give him two and he would be the third male player in history to win all four at least twice. Incidentally, it is Rafa who has spoiled it for the likes of Djokovic and Federer, having won 12 of the last 15 French Opens and effectively locking everyone else out over the past 15 years, with the exception of Roger, Novak and Stan, who have won one each.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

12 hours ago, metal beat said:

Overall, Nadal is a machine .

I think John McEnroe commented that "does this guy ever get tired" when Nadal ran like a horse & won a long rally during the 4th set against Nick last night.

Perhaps only a better machine (Djokovic) can equal or beat Nadal on a regular basis on the best of five tournaments.

With the exception of Federer, brilliant non-machine players such as Stan or Nick can only beat him occasionally, probably over the best of three matches.

4 hours ago, ~Spyne~ said:

Will we ever see Nick give 100% for an entire match? His performance last night was a vast improvement over previous efforts, but there was still the odd lazy/'don't care' shot that allowed Rafa an easy set-up or direct point.

Maybe,  but by the time he matures enough to give 100% mentally his body probably won't be up to it. 

It seems strange to question the physical ability of anyone who can run around a court for 5 sets,   but he just doesn't seem as energetic as he should be at his age.     He'll need to pull his finger out if he expects to be in the game past 30 yo      

3 hours ago, blybo said:

I was so happy to see him fight it out in the 4th when it looked like he may lose his $hit and get steam rolled. He got to several balls I expected him to give up on. I really only saw 2 points with brain fades.

not necessarily brain fades but I recall more than a few poor shot choices,   coming to the net at the wrong time and  failure to put away some clear winners.        Probably a lot to do with Nadals excellent defense to be fair though.  

Well done Ash Barty, a very solid performance. Semi now against Kenin, who I haven’t seen play a lot before today, but she’ll be tough and Ash will need to assert herself from the start. 

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

1 hour ago, manchu said:

It seems strange to question the physical ability of anyone who can run around a court for 5 sets,   but he just doesn't seem as energetic as he should be at his age.     He'll need to pull his finger out if he expects to be in the game past 30 yo      

I could be wrong but he had some chronic back issues a few years ago and because of this he tends to walk a bit stooped over, which makes him look more fatigued or fragile than he probably is.

Well folks, can’t believe what I’m seeing in this Federer v Sandgren match............anyway, here we go into set five, a set Roger shouldn’t really be playing!

8 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

That's an interesting stat and of course Laver did it in two calendar years and of course Margeret Court would certainly be another.

Edit: The more I think about that stat, it would have to include Roy Emerson and what about Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova and of course, Serena Williams? Who delivered that stat, Wal?..................it doesn't seem accurate.

Cheers,

Keith

A mate in the pub, Keith, so it must be true ;)

He also came to the same conclusion as you, that, in mens, only Laver and Emerson have won all majors twice.

True what you later said re Nadal locking others out of the French Open for so long.

Saw some of that Federer match. Great performance with an injury and we know that he doesn't fake it.

45 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Well folks, can’t believe what I’m seeing in this Federer v Sandgren match............anyway, here we go into set five, a set Roger shouldn’t really be playing!

Man, Sandgren choked big time in that 4th set.  7 match points and up 6-3 in the tie break.

I feel sorry for the guy. 

11 minutes ago, wolster said:

A mate in the pub, Keith, so it must be true ;)

He also came to the same conclusion as you, that, in mens, only Laver and Emerson have won all majors twice.

True what you later said re Nadal locking others out of the French Open for so long.

Saw some of that Federer match. Great performance with an injury and we know that he doesn't fake it.

Your mate agreed with me, Wal? 
Federer should not have won that match and that will haunt Tennys Sandgren for the rest of his life, I really feel sorry for him.

Cheers Keith

7 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Man, Sandgren choked big time in that 4th set.  7 match points and up 6-3 in the tie break.

I feel sorry for the guy. 

Yeah, I feel sorry for Sandgren too, he really got tight when he had those match points and he’ll be kicking himself now, but it is very hard to not let your head take over your  body in that situation.

They started with 128 players and Roger is now one of the last four......anything can happen from here!

Edited by cheekyboy

Simone Halep looking very strong with her quarter final going her way 6-1 6-1. I think she’ll be Ash’s opponent in the final if Ash can win her semi tomorrow.

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

Certainly Nick is fitter than he has ever been, but still his body is not up to a 2week campaign. He lasted 8 days this time, only a slight niggle at the top of his hamstring.

My assessment through the tv screen is that he is possibly in the best shape he has ever been (and still couldn't go deep with Rafa). Like Raonic, who undoubtedly works 50% on his body to avoid injury and 50% on tennis, that is what Nick needs, maybe 33% body protection, 33% fitness,  really does he need to work on his tennis ? maybe 50% gym and stretching, 50% stamina and he is in a good place right now to put in this really hard work and become a top 3 player.  

5 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Simone Halep looking very strong with her quarter final going her way 6-1 6-1. I think she’ll be Ash’s opponent in the final if Ash can win her semi tomorrow.

Cheers Keith

Keith, I agree,  however if Murgaruza is on,  she will beat Halep.   

But, Murga has not been on for a few years thou.

Edited by metal beat

Impressive win by Zverev, by all accounts. Heard him on the radio saying that he still intends to donate $10,000 for each match he wins here to victims of the bushfires. He also repeated his promise to donate the whole $4m if he actually wins the title (I know. It's unlikely but still a generous gesture).

1 hour ago, analog brother said:

he needs a new hairstyle.

new clothes. 

and to mature a little, and he'll be great.

Afro?     John Mac Nike 80's tennis clothes with the extra tight small tennis pants?

3 hours ago, metal beat said:

Afro?     John Mac Nike 80's tennis clothes with the extra tight small tennis pants?

Imagine John and Nick wearing those outfits as a team. John wouldn't have much rooom to coach his pupil though.

hi shane,

haha! but i was thinking more borg.

long hair, beard, velour fila tracksuit, and  red-striped beige tennis collared shirt, with matching head/arm bands.

it'll throw everyone off!

What a sensational match between Nadal and Thiem. Probably the best two clay court players in the game, going at it flat chat on a hard court. An incredible display by Thiem off the ground, particularly that beautiful single handed backhand............just check out the grip he’s using on that shot!

Anyhow, on serve in the third, but Nadal in trouble having lost the first two sets, both 7/6..............gunna be a long night I think, but come on Thiem!😄

Edited by cheekyboy

11 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

What a sensational match between Nadal and Thiem. Probably the best two clay court players in the game, going at it flat chat on a hard court. An incredible display by Thiem off the ground, particularly that beautiful single handed backhand............just check out the grip he’s using on that shot!

Anyhow, on serve in the third, but Nadal in trouble having lost the first two sets, both 7/6..............gunna be a long night I think, but come on Thiem!😄

2 Sets to 1

I reckon Rafa is favourite now.

C'mon Thiem. 

Just now, metal beat said:

2 Sets to 1

I reckon Rafa is favourite now.

C'mon Thiem. 

Yep, stuff it, odds just jumped back in Rafa’s favour.

Well done, Thiem..........I hope the other semi is as good as this one.