Jump to content

wolster

Tennis Discussion - WIMBLEDON

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, evil c said:

But after her phenomenal run , she was probably overdue for a lack lustre performance!

Indeed.

I was also wondering if a larger hitter might blast Barty off the court. I only caught the last set but Riske's finding of the corners was pretty impressive. Can she keep it up ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Indeed.

I was also wondering if a larger hitter might blast Barty off the court. I only caught the last set but Riske's finding of the corners was pretty impressive. Can she keep it up ??

Riske started hitting in the second set and kept it up in the third.  I was surprised she managed to keep at it for such a length of time and so consistently.  Barty was off her game, especially with the first serve and could not lift when it mattered...   Yes, most impressive and will be even more if she can replicate against madam "I'm bigger and more important than the game itself".  I'll be cheering for Riske...

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not bothering watching final tonight, Serena in the mood to win and I can't stand her!

 

But tomorrow, Federer vs Joker, I want Roger to win but not sure he has enough left?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Not bothering watching final tonight, Serena in the mood to win and I can't stand her!

 

But tomorrow, Federer vs Joker, I want Roger to win but not sure he has enough left?

I am firmly in the Novak Djokovic camp. Should be a cracker. Full respect to Federer, and really could go either way easily. Certainly hope for a bit of drama and not a damned 3 setter - whichever way it goes.

 

Re Serena - she works on her game more than most and it really shows. Having overcome major obstacles in her career and worked so diligently, she truly deserves all the success. Rarely takes a thing for granted (rarely - not never). It gets a bit boring when she's not really challenged (slam after slam), however she is seriously being put to the test by Halep currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Not bothering watching final tonight, Serena in the mood to win and I can't stand her!

 

13 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Game, set and match. Halep 6-2, 6-2.

Never saw this coming!  Some incredible shot making and retrieval from Halep (in extended highlights). She was in the "zone" thru whole match which is rare to see in Majors final.  

13 hours ago, zippi said:

Certainly hope for a bit of drama and not a damned 3 setter - whichever way it goes.

Fingers crossed too that it will be good to watch tonight..  🙏 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an absolutely sensational men’s final. That 23rd game in the 5th.........incredible! It’s a pity someone had to lose,  but well done Novak, Wimbledon number 5 and slam number 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

What an absolutely sensational men’s final. That 23rd game in the 5th.........incredible! It’s a pity someone had to lose,  but well done Novak, Wimbledon number 5 and slam number 16.

Great match. Roger had a chance to serve it out, but nerves got to him I feel. Well done Novak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt it was a great game. I thought Federer played brilliantly and definitely served better than the Joker. But Federer also had these momentary lapses that was so frustrating to watch, like how he couldn't convert his two championship points, and that missed volley early in the final tie-breaker.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2019 at 11:55 PM, zippi said:

I am firmly in the Novak Djokovic camp. Should be a cracker. Full respect to Federer, and really could go either way easily. Certainly hope for a bit of drama and not a damned 3 setter - whichever way it goes.

 

Re Serena - she works on her game more than most and it really shows. Having overcome major obstacles in her career and worked so diligently, she truly deserves all the success. Rarely takes a thing for granted (rarely - not never). It gets a bit boring when she's not really challenged (slam after slam), however she is seriously being put to the test by Halep currently.

sorry, does not compute... To me Novak has no panache, it is just robotics... brilliant robotics no less, but I can' warm to him. Serena, well the sooner she is gone the better it will be for women's tennis. She is in my top 3 most despised sports people

 

I'll probably watch a replay of the mens tonight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What a fantastic men’s Final last night. Both played at a very high level and Novak deserved to win, such tenacity, to retrieve impossible shots from Roger and send them back with pace and direction. None better demonstrated than by Novak’s neutralising of those two championship points of Federer’s. Yes, Roger sprayed many shots during the match, but if he didn’t play that style of risky game he would have been rolled by Novak in three sets - you have to go out and take it from Djokovic these days, not hope to play passively/safe .... sadly it didn’t quite work out for Federer.

 

 

.

Edited by Steve M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


21 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Fingers crossed too that it will be good to watch tonight..  🙏 

I did get my wish!  But :yawn: am feeling the effects now of watching Wimbledon's longest ever final. Roger had his chances, shame he could not take them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

But :yawn: am feeling the effects now of watching Wimbledon's longest ever final

July's will be great once I'm retired... I don't know how people stay up and then get to work. As a cycling fan I have 3 weeks of this every year and only watch a couple of stages to the finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Deja Vu, as i was watching Roger stumble at the end of the 5th trying to serve out the match, I remembered that about 6 or 7 years ago I came to the opinion that Roger is mentally frail.  Perhaps the finest shotmaker ever but when the pressure comes on, his error rate goes up. The match seemed to depend on Roger's 1st serve, which is an absolute weapon when it's on, and got him out of some bad situations but failed him also. Also he retracted in the last 2 sets from his new aggressive return-style, which beat Rafa 2 days ago, back to his previous submissive chipping/slicing returns. Even so, he almost got there, but Novak's game appeared to be low risk shots waiting for Roger to error and when Roger's 1st serve let him down in the tie break all over....... mentally, you could see Novak step up at certain moments and showed why he is so hard to beat. Shame Roger doesn't quite have that.  I expect that Roger's biography will mention incredible nerves before the big matches.....

 Ash Barty would have beaten Novak....

Edited by Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, blybo said:

sorry, does not compute... To me Novak has no panache, it is just robotics... brilliant robotics no less, but I can' warm to him. Serena, well the sooner she is gone the better it will be for women's tennis. She is in my top 3 most despised sports people

 

I'll probably watch a replay of the mens tonight

 

Totally agree re Serena. She sales so close to cheating with her switch to grunting when she wants to and her totally classless attitude to officials , opposition and patrons 

 Luvs bringing up the race card, and now the mother card.   She is a classless cow.

 

For me it's anyone but Serena in the ladies.

 

Federer is very frustrating to watch.  He had real chances to win in  every set today.  His First serve and forehand let him down in almost all clutch points. 

 Federer choked on the 2 match points, no doubt about that. No disgrace in that either- shows he is human.

Joker had 3 chances and took them all. Hardly missed a first serve when it mattered.  Nerves of steel.   Great final for the ages.

Edited by metal beat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...