wolster

Tennis Discussion - WIMBLEDON

2 hours ago, evil c said:

But after her phenomenal run , she was probably overdue for a lack lustre performance!

Indeed.

I was also wondering if a larger hitter might blast Barty off the court. I only caught the last set but Riske's finding of the corners was pretty impressive. Can she keep it up ??

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Indeed.

I was also wondering if a larger hitter might blast Barty off the court. I only caught the last set but Riske's finding of the corners was pretty impressive. Can she keep it up ??

Riske started hitting in the second set and kept it up in the third.  I was surprised she managed to keep at it for such a length of time and so consistently.  Barty was off her game, especially with the first serve and could not lift when it mattered...   Yes, most impressive and will be even more if she can replicate against madam "I'm bigger and more important than the game itself".  I'll be cheering for Riske...

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Not bothering watching final tonight, Serena in the mood to win and I can't stand her!

But tomorrow, Federer vs Joker, I want Roger to win but not sure he has enough left?

5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Not bothering watching final tonight, Serena in the mood to win and I can't stand her!

But tomorrow, Federer vs Joker, I want Roger to win but not sure he has enough left?

I am firmly in the Novak Djokovic camp. Should be a cracker. Full respect to Federer, and really could go either way easily. Certainly hope for a bit of drama and not a damned 3 setter - whichever way it goes.

Re Serena - she works on her game more than most and it really shows. Having overcome major obstacles in her career and worked so diligently, she truly deserves all the success. Rarely takes a thing for granted (rarely - not never). It gets a bit boring when she's not really challenged (slam after slam), however she is seriously being put to the test by Halep currently.

18 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

13 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Game, set and match. Halep 6-2, 6-2.

Never saw this coming!  Some incredible shot making and retrieval from Halep (in extended highlights). She was in the "zone" thru whole match which is rare to see in Majors final.  

13 hours ago, zippi said:

Certainly hope for a bit of drama and not a damned 3 setter - whichever way it goes.

Fingers crossed too that it will be good to watch tonight..  🙏 

What an absolutely sensational men’s final. That 23rd game in the 5th.........incredible! It’s a pity someone had to lose,  but well done Novak, Wimbledon number 5 and slam number 16.

11 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

What an absolutely sensational men’s final. That 23rd game in the 5th.........incredible! It’s a pity someone had to lose,  but well done Novak, Wimbledon number 5 and slam number 16.

Great match. Roger had a chance to serve it out, but nerves got to him I feel. Well done Novak. 

No doubt it was a great game. I thought Federer played brilliantly and definitely served better than the Joker. But Federer also had these momentary lapses that was so frustrating to watch, like how he couldn't convert his two championship points, and that missed volley early in the final tie-breaker.  

On 13/07/2019 at 11:55 PM, zippi said:

I am firmly in the Novak Djokovic camp. Should be a cracker. Full respect to Federer, and really could go either way easily. Certainly hope for a bit of drama and not a damned 3 setter - whichever way it goes.

Re Serena - she works on her game more than most and it really shows. Having overcome major obstacles in her career and worked so diligently, she truly deserves all the success. Rarely takes a thing for granted (rarely - not never). It gets a bit boring when she's not really challenged (slam after slam), however she is seriously being put to the test by Halep currently.

sorry, does not compute... To me Novak has no panache, it is just robotics... brilliant robotics no less, but I can' warm to him. Serena, well the sooner she is gone the better it will be for women's tennis. She is in my top 3 most despised sports people

I'll probably watch a replay of the mens tonight

Posted (edited)

What a fantastic men’s Final last night. Both played at a very high level and Novak deserved to win, such tenacity, to retrieve impossible shots from Roger and send them back with pace and direction. None better demonstrated than by Novak’s neutralising of those two championship points of Federer’s. Yes, Roger sprayed many shots during the match, but if he didn’t play that style of risky game he would have been rolled by Novak in three sets - you have to go out and take it from Djokovic these days, not hope to play passively/safe .... sadly it didn’t quite work out for Federer.

Edited by Steve M

21 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Fingers crossed too that it will be good to watch tonight..  🙏 

I did get my wish!  But :yawn: am feeling the effects now of watching Wimbledon's longest ever final. Roger had his chances, shame he could not take them...

3 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

But :yawn: am feeling the effects now of watching Wimbledon's longest ever final

July's will be great once I'm retired... I don't know how people stay up and then get to work. As a cycling fan I have 3 weeks of this every year and only watch a couple of stages to the finish.

Posted (edited)

Deja Vu, as i was watching Roger stumble at the end of the 5th trying to serve out the match, I remembered that about 6 or 7 years ago I came to the opinion that Roger is mentally frail.  Perhaps the finest shotmaker ever but when the pressure comes on, his error rate goes up. The match seemed to depend on Roger's 1st serve, which is an absolute weapon when it's on, and got him out of some bad situations but failed him also. Also he retracted in the last 2 sets from his new aggressive return-style, which beat Rafa 2 days ago, back to his previous submissive chipping/slicing returns. Even so, he almost got there, but Novak's game appeared to be low risk shots waiting for Roger to error and when Roger's 1st serve let him down in the tie break all over....... mentally, you could see Novak step up at certain moments and showed why he is so hard to beat. Shame Roger doesn't quite have that.  I expect that Roger's biography will mention incredible nerves before the big matches.....

Ash Barty would have beaten Novak....

Edited by Nigel

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, blybo said:

sorry, does not compute... To me Novak has no panache, it is just robotics... brilliant robotics no less, but I can' warm to him. Serena, well the sooner she is gone the better it will be for women's tennis. She is in my top 3 most despised sports people

I'll probably watch a replay of the mens tonight

Totally agree re Serena. She sales so close to cheating with her switch to grunting when she wants to and her totally classless attitude to officials , opposition and patrons 

Luvs bringing up the race card, and now the mother card.   She is a classless cow.

For me it's anyone but Serena in the ladies.

Federer is very frustrating to watch.  He had real chances to win in  every set today.  His First serve and forehand let him down in almost all clutch points. 

Federer choked on the 2 match points, no doubt about that. No disgrace in that either- shows he is human.

Joker had 3 chances and took them all. Hardly missed a first serve when it mattered.  Nerves of steel.   Great final for the ages.

Edited by metal beat