wolster

Tennis Discussion - WIMBLEDON

11 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Please get your facts correct as we are not splitting hairs,  you are completely wrong.

4 majors in the same year is called the Grand Slam.

4 majors + the Olympic gold medal was made up and called a Golden Slam after Steffi did this feat in 1988.

Wait a minute, sorry, I got the details mixed up.

You're right, the Golden Slam is 4 Grand Slams + the Olympics but the one you're talking about, 4 majors in the same year is the Calendar Year Grand Slam.

So, it goes something like this, I think?

Winning all four tournaments in your career but not consecutively or on the same year is the Career Grand Slam. Roger and Rafa has this.

Winning all four tournaments consecutively but not on the same year (e.g. winning the 2015 Wimbledon, 2015 US Open, 2016 Australian Open and the 2016 Roland Garros) is called the Non-Calendar Year Grand Slam. Or the Nole/Serena Slam because Novak and Serena were the last players to have achieved this.

Winning all four tournaments in the same year is the Calendar Year Grand Slam.

Eh, who cares really? At least we now have something to cheer for in Ash after years of hoping the likes of Kyrgios and (ugh) Tomic would straighten themselves out.

Yes, even in tennis we seem to be driven by dribble with the media itself not knowing the correct term or phrases.

Similar to how we went from albums to vinyl to vinyls :emot-bang:

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, mfdeerhunter said:

Wait a minute, sorry, I got the details mixed up.

You're right, the Golden Slam is 4 Grand Slams + the Olympics but the one you're talking about, 4 majors in the same year is the Calendar Year Grand Slam.

So, it goes something like this, I think?

Winning all four tournaments in your career but not consecutively or on the same year is the Career Grand Slam. Roger and Rafa has this.

Winning all four tournaments consecutively but not on the same year (e.g. winning the 2015 Wimbledon, 2015 US Open, 2016 Australian Open and the 2016 Roland Garros) is called the Non-Calendar Year Grand Slam. Or the Nole/Serena Slam because Novak and Serena were the last players to have achieved this.

Winning all four tournaments in the same year is the Calendar Year Grand Slam.

Eh, who cares really? At least we now have something to cheer for in Ash after years of hoping the likes of Kyrgios and (ugh) Tomic would straighten themselves out.

No it is not.  Read my previous explanation.  Please give up while you are behind .😉

The other examples you state are not correct, just media BS to make it sound good.    Non calender grand slam is made up by the media.

Edited by metal beat

Just now, metal beat said:

No it is not.   Please give up while you are behind .

The other examples you state are mot correct, just media BS to make it sound good.    Non calender grand slam is made up by the media.

Exactly.

It really amazes me how something so simple can be so misunderstood, which is probably the fault of the intellectually challenged commentators.

A Grand Slam is winning the four major tournaments ( French, Wimbledon, US open and Australian open in one calendar year)

Any other description or additional qualification is merely drivel.

4 minutes ago, metal beat said:

The other examples you state are not correct, just media BS to make it sound good.    Non calendar<(thank me later...actually it's my spellcheck, it's ruthless!) grand slam is made up by the media. 

Absolutely correct.

I remember some of the whinges and the whining from some top ten tennis players of both sexes about the timing of the Aus Open, they wanted it changed so it could be played in a cooler month or moved to a time that wasn't in the New Year holiday period.

The unspoken charge was: Why does Australia even have a Major? Why do I have to come down to this godforsaken place where it's as hot as hell and...

That's why it's called a Grand Slam matey, that's why it's a Major matey and that's why it's so farking hard to win it. If you win it then look at the names on the cup...

*Actually, without resorting to Google. Who won the last Grand Slam? Did Sampras get one? I've no idea.

12 minutes ago, rantan said:

French, Wimbledon, US open and Australian open in one calendar year

Apologies for my being pedantic too, but you've not put them in correct chronological order.

1 minute ago, nonsynchro said:

Apologies for my being pedantic too, but you've not put them in correct chronological order.

Nevertheless, the message and intent is clear and correctly defined.

Oh dear. Looks like I need to amend the title yet again.....

26 minutes ago, wolster said:

Oh dear. Looks like I need to amend the title yet again.....

Amend it to "Tennis" :)

1 hour ago, DarkNark said:

Amend it to "Tennis" :)

Excellent idea, Dave. I'll just add one word 👍

Who would have thought that a simple tennis discussion would have led to so much debate on the title of this thread?  😂 😁

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Luc said:

Absolutely correct.

I remember some of the whinges and the whining from some top ten tennis players of both sexes about the timing of the Aus Open, they wanted it changed so it could be played in a cooler month or moved to a time that wasn't in the New Year holiday period.

The unspoken charge was: Why does Australia even have a Major? Why do I have to come down to this godforsaken place where it's as hot as hell and...

That's why it's called a Grand Slam matey, that's why it's a Major matey and that's why it's so farking hard to win it. If you win it then look at the names on the cup...

*Actually, without resorting to Google. Who won the last Grand Slam? Did Sampras get one? I've no idea.

There are only 2 Grand Slam winners in the male category. American Don Budge won one and Rod Laver won 2. Laver could have possibly won more but wasn't allowed to compete for several years due to the fact that he'd turned pro. Only amateurs were allowed to compete. 

Edit: Laver won the last Grand Slam in '69 when the rules were changed to allow professionals to compete.

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble

6 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Don Budge

Martin. Did he win it wearing long pants?

15 minutes ago, Luc said:

Martin. Did he win it wearing long pants?

Yes, he did.

18 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Yes, he did.

Yes. Thought I'd seen pics of it actually. also for some reason I remember Randolph Scott playing tennis in long pants