Sign in to follow this  
maxdax

Kef and Home Theater Suggestions

hi Guys,

Am very new to all this and  slowly upgrading my system from a base Yamaha 5.1 ( 6 years old ). I have to date got the Kef Q950 and Kef Q650C as LRC and SVS SB-2000 and my old Yamaha 10 Inch Sub. So am running a 5.2 at the moment and and i'm seeking thoughts on the next Steps in the build 

1) The surrounds - is Polk Audio FXI A4 Bipole ($750) a good choice? - these will go on the side as no space behind the couch - i may later wall mount them, I had earlier ordered the Kef Q350 but i think they would be an overkill and cause they will be on the side am unsure if its a good addition - thoughts?

2)Receiver - I have nearly zeroed in on Denon AVR X 4500 ($2400) -  .is this good or an overkill or something better is available at this price point

3) Kef Q50A - for Dolby Atmos to go over the Q950 for around $600

Would you suggest any changes to the 3 points above.

lastly would the denon 4500 be sufficient to run the speaker in my build once done or would you suggest i get an Amp, if yes which one and how many channels, budget around $1000-$1500

I must point out that the lounge is a high traffic area with a young family but i'm keen to build a system mainly which would be used for all sorts of things from You tube to Foxtel to movies and music.

The actual lounge area is 6 by 5 meters however opens up into the lounge/kitchen - so its fairly open area with glass windows on the right side, with curtains. The 2 Subs are placed between the 2 Q950's with the TV in the middle

thanks in advance

dont own Kef but in general they are not too power needy so why not look at a yammy refurb. the rxa2080 is the yammy equal to the denon (less pre outs but will you ever need more than 9 channels?)

https://www.excelhifi.com.au/audio-visual-receivers/

saves you $1000.

as for surrounds? hmm buying those nice fronts/centre why not keep it all the same. but hey i run klipsch/denon so what would i know 🙂

Thanks mate, you reckon q350 should be ok for surrounds or Bipoles ?

5 hours ago, maxdax said:

I must point out that the lounge is a high traffic area with a young family but i'm keen to build a system mainly which would be used for all sorts of things from You tube to Foxtel to movies and music.

The actual lounge area is 6 by 5 meters however opens up into the lounge/kitchen - so its fairly open area with glass windows on the right side, with curtains. 

My HT is in a similar larger area.  Using dual subs, Monitor Audio speakers and a NAD T758V3 with a published 60W per channel, all channels driven.  Ignore the so called power channel when 1 or 2 channels driven, which is misleading. 

Also the NAD has Dirac Live room correction which will help with both movies and music

Thanks Guys. I went to audition the surrounds (they didn’t had the Polk) however at the shop I was highly recommended the Klipsch 250S surrounds. Any feedback on these

just did some reading and to confuse you more i read it is not recommended to mount the 350's against a wall. https://www.cnet.com/reviews/kef-q350-review/

sorry i didnt see these were rear ported. although your sub should handle the bass anyway there may be a bit of placement issue for these book shelves. from my understanding klipsch "surround" speakers are sealed.. well mine are.

On 08/06/2019 at 7:06 AM, maxdax said:

denon 4500

Your AVR looks the part and should be Ok but hard to know if it will drive all the speakers as you want exactly. You may on,y know when you hook them up, howabout trying in the shop first.

Although listening in the shop is in a different room, that’s all you may have to go by so try and make your best assessment with familiar source material and see if that’s ok.

Regarding placing near walls a foam plug can be used to reduce issues.

Klipsch speakers may be ok but Kef would be better choice as the dual concentric woofer and tweeter design can give good imaging and voice reality or coherence, though I have not heard them.

Edited by Al.M

imo its like this.. the klipsch will be fantastic if you are a horn tweeter lover, have klipsch fronts/centre already and do not pay new pricing (its absurd imo)

you already have committed to the big kef fronts and matching centre so consider the plug suggestion, set your sub at 80-100hz and stick with the matching kef surround.

maybe shop around for cheapest pricing ie exell hifi kef refurbs. or gumtree, there is a 350 used pair (but in qld.) for $400 neg

salesmen sell what gives them the most profit (as is their right 🙂

3 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

there is a 350 used pair (but in qld.) for $400 neg

Thanks mate - i have sent the OP a message on gumtree.

with the denon 4500 this set up, would i need an amp to drive the from LRC? Sorry I'm completely clueless. Do people normally drive the L and R only (Stereo) or i just depends on what the amp can handle. I saw a rotel 1066 here on SNA, would that do any good with the AVR i have in mind? thanks for reading

Edited by maxdax

hmm i think you will find that 1066 is not actually going to be sold. but you can ask anyway.

teh denon is roughly 125w 2xchannels driven. your speakers are reasonably efficient and using only 5 speakers my guess is the denon will be pushing out 70-75w per channel. now the fronts use more and the sides less so around that. actual watts needed by the speakers to run at high sound levels will be less than that.

personally dont worry about a separate amp at this time.

pm sent

On 08/06/2019 at 9:06 AM, maxdax said:

hi Guys,

Am very new to all this and  slowly upgrading my system from a base Yamaha 5.1 ( 6 years old ). I have to date got the Kef Q950 and Kef Q650C as LRC and SVS SB-2000 and my old Yamaha 10 Inch Sub. So am running a 5.2 at the moment and and i'm seeking thoughts on the next Steps in the build 

1) The surrounds - is Polk Audio FXI A4 Bipole ($750) a good choice? - these will go on the side as no space behind the couch - i may later wall mount them, I had earlier ordered the Kef Q350 but i think they would be an overkill and cause they will be on the side am unsure if its a good addition - thoughts?

2)Receiver - I have nearly zeroed in on Denon AVR X 4500 ($2400) -  .is this good or an overkill or something better is available at this price point

3) Kef Q50A - for Dolby Atmos to go over the Q950 for around $600

Would you suggest any changes to the 3 points above.

lastly would the denon 4500 be sufficient to run the speaker in my build once done or would you suggest i get an Amp, if yes which one and how many channels, budget around $1000-$1500

The actual lounge area is 6 by 5 meters however opens up into the lounge/kitchen - so its fairly open area with glass windows on the right side, with curtains. The 2 Subs are placed between the 2 Q950's with the TV in the middle

thanks in advance

I love the kefs so I'm partial to them... Consistency is nice. I've actually used Q100s for the four overheads, on brackets, angled at listening position. My rears are also q100s. It does work very well and I've never regretted it. I'm personally not a fan of reflecting up firing atmos speakers. The concept is flawed. Although if that is your only option, better than nothing. I'm also not that keen on the in ceiling mounted speakers. After a lifetime of hearing and reading how so much of the speaker sound reproduction and quality is enclosure design etc, to just take a driver and stick it in an inconsistent void without an enclosure is imho not that great a concept. I have seen some enclosures you can buy to put on the ceiling. But just not the same as a real enclosure designed for the speaker.

The best surround speakers are the ones that match your main speakers.

A true home theatre, dome of sound experience is very difficult to achieve with assorted speakers.  It's much easier with a matched set.

40 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

I love the kefs so I'm partial to them... Consistency is nice. I've actually used Q100s for the four overheads, on brackets, angled at listening position. My rears are also q100s. It does work very well and I've never regretted it. I'm personally not a fan of reflecting up firing atmos speakers. The concept is flawed. Although if that is your only option, better than nothing. I'm also not that keen on the in ceiling mounted speakers. After a lifetime of hearing and reading how so much of the speaker sound reproduction and quality is enclosure design etc, to just take a driver and stick it in an inconsistent void without an enclosure is imho not that great a concept. I have seen some enclosures you can buy to put on the ceiling. But just not the same as a real enclosure designed for the speaker.

Decent in-ceiling and in-wall speakers like Monitor Audio are sealed box designs that don't use the wall as a cabinet at all.

Thank you Gopal and Mobe for your advice.

I picked up the KefQ350's at a great price along with the Denon 4500. Got a local Sydney dealer to match the Selby special on the Denon, so pretty stoked with that. The Q350's are huge ( I did see them in the shop but its a bit different when you get them home and lift them and figure out how they go in your home, they are big and heavy ). As i have very young family ( 3 & 4 Year old ) the, speakers are still in their Box as I dont have a stand yet. Any recommendations for good stands, Kef are 8kg each

Ultimately my plan is to buy Kef Q50A Dolby Atmos, for a 5.2.2 or 5.2.4 Config ( Wife will kill me) I cant go in ceiling. My guess is with the whole KEF Speaker Package it is best to maintain that for the atmos as well unless you guys reckon there are better Atmos speakers. 

I haven't set-up the Denon yet but am thinking i'll see how i go with the Denon (alone) before investing in a power amp.