Help please. Alternative to iTunes for backup of iPhone ?

Hi all xD

Have any of you good folks found and used an alternative to iTunes for doing local (not cloud) backups of iPhone content onto a PC running Windows 10 ?  

I see a few possibilities by doing a Google search but i'd really like to hear the experiences good or bad (or ugly) of forum members who have already gone down that path.  Since i'm pretty cautious my preference would be software i can walk in a buy from a computer store or retail chain store (HN, GG, OW etc) but i guess more and more developers would rather market and sell direct over the web.

Anyway let me know if you can share your experiences please. 

p.s. if a thread already exists on this please kindly let me know..i did have a quick search befoe posting this but could have missed..

Cheers, PE

I have had aLl sorts of grief with iPhone > Win10 

One known big issue is that everything gets saved to a ? file, and claggs up your primary drive with boatloads of data, therein slowing the machine down.

I managed to find some command lines on the Googlewebs enabling ongoing saving to another drive instead.  This seems to have fixed a lot of issues...

19 hours ago, kenwstr said:

No but, is something like this what you are after?

One thing to keep in mind with external HDD's for MAC and Windows is that some USB powered external HDD drives may not work on a MAC, you probably need the ones marked for use with a MAC.

I recently bought a Seagate Expansion 2TB external drive marked "Portable Drive for your PC" that does not spin up properly on a MAC Book Pro, the MAC seems not to have enough current capacity on the USB port for the drive, the drive works fine on a Windows machine.

Edited by soundbyte

Why don't you just back up to iCloud. It is independent of iTunes and hopefully will be under the limit for a free iCloud account. Other than that it's only $1.50 per month for a 50gb iCloud account.

Thanks groovem and all, for your replies so far.

I've been thinking (over thinking :S) about iCloud and cloud storage in general for a quite a while.  I know the cloud service providers assure all data is transferred securely and encrypted at rest but silly me I'm just not quite there yet in terms of 100% trusting my own or my children's backups totally to remote servers.  When they get older they can make their own choices of course. Interesting also to read about what different juristrictions might allow in terms of access to your data though.  LOL my data would be boring as bat sh*t, but i'd still rather it be 100% mine. 

In terms of local backup what i have done a few times already is

1) manually backed up Contacts using a freeware app from App Store.  There seems to be quite a few options there, the one i used is pretty basic, extracted contacts onto a spreadsheet format, while not fancy is OK.  I'd have to re-enter contacts manually if my phone was lost or went belly up.  Probably some of the other paid apps would be more sophisticated.

2) manually copied and pasted photos from Iphone 6/6s via USB cable direct onto my older PC running Windows 7.  It was easy, just found how to do it from YouTube :blush:.  You can access the photos directories (only) i think, using Windows File Explorer. Worked perfectly well if a bit laborious trawling through the apple vinalla labelled directies APPLE101, APPLE102 or some similar directory titles simpe copy and paste across to my PC.  I haven't tried whether it still works with later iPhones/iOS/Windows 10 yet.

But i was looking for more of a one step dashboard software interface to do total, or selective content, or incremental encrypted backups onto a Windows 10 PC.  Storage space is not too much of a concern.   Some website reviews indicate DearMob might be what i'm looking for but i'm hoping to hear if any forum members have tried it or other ?

Cheers

PE

• Like 1

It looks like you are too caught up in restrictions of proprietary software, and at the same time not knowing about alternatives 

My advice would be to download Linux Mint  https://linuxmint.com/  load it on to a USB , then begin to see software 

from a non proprietary perspective. I did this in 2003 and never looked back.  The ethos of free software is explained here: