Kenwood L07d thoughts?

Looks like rubbish :sarc::sarc:

I don't have any experience with one of these but it looks like it would have been and still is an excellent TT.

Edited by BATMAQN

Very nice turntable, serious bit of gear, the power supply is the weak point which can be improved. There was a mod in Japan that did custom psu’s for these tables back in the day. Can’t seem to remember the url for the website.

• Like 1

The Technics SL1000Mk2 crushes the L07D - it is a disco toy.  It comes with an integral arm which is extremely difficult to change and a particularly poor motor control circuit.
The L07D has a design mistake as the motor control is not hard wired to the motor but is in a box at the end of a cable with a plug.  These very often fault with the motor control better applied right at the motor like the SL1000Mk2, not at the end of a cable.  
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tcliffo1 said:

Hi there 

Has anyone use this TT? If so what are your experiences/thoughts?

images (98).jpeg

I know where one of these is in action.

Dutch Vinyl record Shop in Abbotsford (Melbourne).  They currently use it as their turntable for playing music in the shop.  It’s connected to a McIntosh Amp and some big old beastly speakers of which I cannot remember the brand.

@tcliffo1 I see you are WA based, not so easy to pop around to the store.

its solidly built.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tcliffo1 said:

Hi there 

images (98).jpeg

I owned one of these--an OK table nothing sonically to get too excited over--many failed with the Motor/Drive ( I think that was it) and became virtually unrepairable. Some are still operating--if I was offered one today I'd send it to Richard Krebs in NZ to refurbish and then it would show what it is really capable of.

Good Luck

Willco

• Like 1

On 07/06/2019 at 11:19 AM, Demondes said:

I know where one of these is in action.

Dutch Vinyl record Shop in Abbotsford (Melbourne).  They currently use it as their turntable for playing music in the shop.  It’s connected to a McIntosh Amp and some big old beastly speakers of which I cannot remember the brand.

@tcliffo1 I see you are WA based, not so easy to pop around to the store.

its solidly built.

Hey @Demondes

Thanks for the heads up :)

I spoke to Dutch Vinyl and it's not for sale... 

On 06/06/2019 at 10:55 PM, tcliffo1 said:

Hi there 

Hi @tcliffo1 - I can't say that I have owned one of these, but I have known of a few that have failed in their motor control electronics.  This seems to be a weak point with age.  However, the mentioned USA man (http://www.l-07d.com) has refurbished many such L-07D motor controllers, I believe.

Sound-wise, I believe that they are very good, at least as good as the more common Technics SP-10 MkII.  Back in the late 90s when HiFi World UK were extolling DD TTs, then-editor Jon Marks was using a SP-10 MkII/SME V/Obsidian base, which was 'heavily modded' with upgraded PSU & circuit components - Jon eventually sold his SP-10 for a Trio (Kenwood) L-07D.  Draw your own conclusions.

The L-07D tonearm can be readily removed (4 x M5 hex screws), but you will need a replacement arm baseplate (110 mm diam) of course, for the new arm. 

Coincidentally, I am currently trialling a L-07D tonearm with an SP-10 MkII  (as below pic).

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

IMG_3202.jpg

Edited by Owen Y
  • Like 1