2 hours ago, Ralfi said:

Yeah exactly. 

Found it it funny when I asked the salesman if the current OLEDs could have their picture settings changed, he said they’re directed by the manufactures to not alter their ‘store settings’... 🙃

So the retailers are now unable to change the dynamic picture modes in store...I’m sorry, but when it comes the time for me to spend thousands on a new OLED, I’m not buying from a store that won’t let me compare the sets properly...

The salesman also said, ‘yeah & even if we did allow it, then you’d need to walk from one aisle to another, to compare the screens from the different manufacturers’....err, yeah, again, if I’m spending big money on a TV, I’m going to walk 10m however many times it takes to compare sets properly! 😂 

Depends where you go. At my local Good Guys, the sales guy gave me the remote and I changed the setting of Sony Oled and also changed to FTA channels.

This was mid week and there was no other customers around.

When I asked at my local JB to change they refused, also claimed they had no FTA available.

3 hours ago, Ralfi said:

So of course the demo looked good (great). I just can’t tell if it’s better than current 4K OLEDs.

Looks like all 2019 OLEDs by LG, Sony & Panasonic will support Dolby Vision & HDR (from what I gathered), which is good I guess. 

Theoretically an oled would still have better black levels and better gradations ; mainly because of the extra layers in the Samsung's panel qled substrate vs the oleds simpler "sandwich" I think Ralfi ;)

The Sammy too is a FALD set  so good but not up to oled black uniformity and level.. Depending on how many zones it may be close though . Resolution comes third after WCG and HDR . My 2.0c

Direct Full Array Elite III

With HDR displayed the Sammy high nit level is a plus if you like your  highlights not rolled off a tad . As for the competing HDR formats [and the Sammy limited to hdr10+ no dv likely ] a good title to stuff around the help so to speak would be Alita battle angel which has both forms of metadata B) '' Why doesn't this tele play the dolby vision I picked ? :)

https://highdefdiscnews.com/2019/05/21/alita-battle-angel-comes-to-4k-and-blu-ray-in-july/

Look forward to Teoh's inevitable review to see what its really like :)

1 hour ago, Whites said:

Depends where you go. At my local Good Guys, the sales guy gave me the remote and I changed the setting of Sony Oled and also changed to FTA channels.

This was mid week and there was no other customers around.

When I asked at my local JB to change they refused, also claimed they had no FTA available.

I hate to say this,  but JB as good as they are to deal with in terms of warranty, they are box movers.....  some will most wont.... I walked into a JB store and all this guy was into doing was how fast he can convinced you to hand over that cash...   The usual tactics are;  we only have one left,  sorry sold out on these but these I have in stock and not many left!  And usually the ones he does have in stock are ones no one wants..get the picture?   I was there for 15mins and this is what i heard and saw as people made enquires 

To get them to move a panel side by side for you to compare, you should bring your own test material, even your own source!  And then ensure that the settings are set accordingly. 

A store that has no FTA is not that far fetch, but silly if it’s not available for demo purposes.   

Nearly ALL stores; HN, Good Guys, Beta Electricals and JB will have there panel section way in the back of the store where it’s nice and dark accept Myer Melb.   No surprise here and nearly most will be set on dynamic or cranked to the max.  I’ve heard that some are not allowed to vary or deviate from the recommended settings;  I don’t have to explain why that’s the case, but if a panel suffers “burn in”  and the settings are deviated the manufacture/supplier will refuse to accept liability and exchange the panel under warranty.  LG will replace a OLED quick smart when a store representative phones it in for being defective, however that comes under certain conditions,  where Sony and Panasonic are yet to be experience.....according to a Myer rep 5 mths ago! 

I don’t know how you would compare HDR settings and I think it’s all a selling point, there not on professionally commercial screens and most are calibrated using a spectrometer, at one store a panel was on demo mode for a comparison with and without HDR, on HDR spit screen 50:50 the panel was obvious set on Dynamic the picture on HDR was that saturated that it looked like it was cartoonished and fake....it was no way  realistic it should have left with HDR turned off!  

Went to HN in Springvale yesterday, they have Foxtel 4K playing on a lot of the panels, which i thought was good. The Panasonic OLED was the most natural looking for skin tones, but as everyone has said, hard to compare in stores.

Remind me again, ... what distance from the 65” or 75” 8k screen do I sit to resolve the image?

I spent about 10min watching a demo loop at HN the other day. Getting real close it's impressive to see no pixel structure but standing back 1.5m from the screen it just felt like a normal LCD and looked noticeably more washed out than I would have hoped. 

1600:1 native contrast and pretty bad DSE, Im struggling to work out why people would spend so much more on this over an Oled or Q90r etc. 

Posted (edited)
On 11/06/2019 at 6:55 AM, jamesg11 said:

Remind me again, ... what distance from the 65” or 75” 8k screen do I sit to resolve the image?

Assuming you mean 8k native content, it's around 1.1m for a 65" and 1.3m for a 75"... (about 2.4m/2.8m for 4k)

Edited by Gbickle

Like the OP, was convinced the Samsung 8k was the bees knees in TVs, and with some cracker deals on that expire Monday, I set aside time on friday and went into the Good Guys to buy one. I did take along a USB with some 720 and 1080p media files as well. I get that 4k and eventually 8k will be the norm, but until then a lot of my streamed content is 1080, or even 720..so I wanted to see what it looked like. Good Guys was a ghost town, but I eventually found someone who could help. I explained that I wanted to play my own files and she said she didn’t think that would be possble as they are all on the manufacturers store loop. She did offer to call her manager and ask..eventually a nice guy called Geoff  came from somewhere and said what ever I wanted to do was no problem. We then played the 720 and 1080 files on the Q900 8k, and the Q90. Long story short, the Q900 was disappointing, the picture lacked depth, and the 1080 media looked weirdly artificial, kind of hard to describe, but it was a little like a disney animation or a 50’s B&W that was recoloured. Even the manufacturer displayed video did not look as good on the Q900 than the Q90. I had heard that the upscaling was not without its flaws, but it was not great on lower quality files. Even the Q90 was not tremendous. I then went and played the same files on the Sony OLED (KD65A8F) the difference was night and day. The picture quality of the 1080 media was great, way better than either samsung.

So, I left without a new TV to go do more research. A few minutes with google, and you can find out that the UI on the Sony’s is pretty rubbish, and there are apparently issues streaming, so know I am back to square one looking for a new TV.

What I will do is when I find one, I will go back to Geoff at Good Guys..Artarmon. He was knowledgable, helpful, and not pushy.  

1 hour ago, Mrpseudonym said:

So, I left without a new TV to go do more research. A few minutes with google, and you can find out that the UI on the Sony’s is pretty rubbish, and there are apparently issues streaming, so know I am back to square one looking for a new TV.

This is why i prefer using external sources for play back, Vero 4K and Apple TV etc. Don't have to worry about those issues then.

This is why i prefer using external sources for play back, Vero 4K and Apple TV etc. Don't have to worry about those issues then.

Yes agreed. I find Apple TV to be the best for Netflix for example, great quality and the bonus of using your phone as a remote.

I’ve always had Samsung TV’s over the years and will continue enjoying their technology for many more.

If you want an 8K TV then there really aren't any alternatives currently, it's the Q900 or nothing. But if you're looking for a 4K TV that can at least get into a similar HDR ballpark as the Q900, check out the Samsung Q9FN. The Q9FN has an identical set of smart features, local dimming, and  excellent HDR performance.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Audio_Slave said:

check out the Samsung Q9FN

I think it would be hard to check this tv out at any store leave alone buy it.  I have been waiting 3 weeks now for Samsung to deliver my Q90R65 - it’s out of stock. 

Edited by maxdax
Edit typo

Hi All

Got it mow.

Indeed make sure you see it with your own content.

Looking at HD and UHD streamed content everyone, including me says the same thing - its just so clear with greater depth.

My suspicion is its not the 8K in and of itself - its the up-sampling that is simply cutting edge.   The lack of any actual obvious pixels regardless of how close you are is not something you notice at normal viewing distances, but somehow when combined with the up-scaling clarity and depth is much increased at any distance. 

So check it out for yourself - the best deal at the moment I have seen is Harvey-Norman:

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/samsung-65-inch-q900-8k pro-qled-smart-tv.html

Nearly any store will price match - I got mine from video-pro.

But again its not the resolution that hits you, it's the seamless clarity and depth.  Why when you cant see pixels at normal distances that is I do not know.   I think I did post a link at the start of peoples perception of 8K at normal distances.   I will try and dig it up again and re-post it with some comments.

Thanks

Bill

Here is the link I posted before and my comments:

http://www.insightmedia.info/8k-tvs-top-tv-line-ups-for-a-reason/

What they wrote is pretty much what I noticed:

'As a result of the study, 8K displays performance was rated 35% higher—with perceived image quality increasing by 30% and depth perception increasing 60% from 4K to 8K.'

They viewed at 8 feet - I view at about 10-12 feet

Thanks

Bill