L Plates on a Ferrari

Hi all. I recently was given an audio system that is possibly way beyond my needs or abilities. The system comprises:

OPPO BDP-105 AU Blu-ray

Cambridge Audio 651R receiver

Aaron No3 Power Amp

Aaron No22 Cineast

Arron No33 Cineast

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands - four

Vienna Acoustics Principal Grand Sub Woofer

I have never had a sound system, or anything technical, that is not an out-of-the-box department store option, and I'm not technically minded.  I have read a few fora here but most of it is beyond me.  I would appreciate any advice as to the challenges ahead if I keep it - the does and don'ts, and what I will need to look out for or potentially be up for. For now it is all in pristine condition and has barely been used. I helped my father-in-law pack it back into the boxes it came in a couple of years ago and it has been sitting in safe storage since.  I think my family would enjoy it but probably not truly appreciate it.  Anyway, your insights would be welcomed and much appreciated.  Regards. Ian Canberra

Hi Ian, the easiest way ahead, if you are not comfortable with connecting the system up and configuring it for your space would be to contact some of the good quality local shops and ask how much it would cost to set the system up. I am sure folk here can point you to the better retailers in Canberra. You may even be able to get one of the store's staff to do it as a "cashie'.

2 hours ago, furtherpale said:

You’re welcome to PM me and I’d be happy to drop over and set it up for you.

Furtherpale that is a great offer and thanks.  I'm on the South side. Before I gratefully accept the offer I need to make sure I want to set it up.  As i'm not a 'true believer' in the audiophile sense, right now it's about looking at what I need, what I might need and the potential costs to keep it up to scratch and not just let it deteriorate. That would be a shame. 

• Like 1

Thanks Candyflip.  At this point it is about looking to see if it is viable for me to keep.  I'd hate to see it deteriorate.  I have no idea as to what is involved and given my lack of tech I'd probably have to call in the experts which would simply add to the costs and hassles. If I decide to sell it all I'll most likely sell it in Canberra as a job lot...  

3 hours ago, Ozcall said:

Hi Ian, the easiest way ahead, if you are not comfortable with connecting the system up and configuring it for your space would be to contact some of the good quality local shops and ask how much it would cost to set the system up. I am sure folk here can point you to the better retailers in Canberra. You may even be able to get one of the store's staff to do it as a "cashie'.

Thanks  Ozcall.  I'm seeing a  local retailer (Duratone) next week to have  them check it over to make sure everything is working as God intended. Re installation,  a member in the ACT has kindly offered to help - which is so cool!  I will however ask the shop about ongoing maintenance.  cheers

20 minutes ago, WIP said:

Furtherpale that is a great offer and thanks.  I'm on the South side. Before I gratefully accept the offer I need to make sure I want to set it up.  As i'm not a 'true believer' in the audiophile sense, right now it's about looking at what I need, what I might need and the potential costs to keep it up to scratch and not just let it deteriorate. That would be a shame. 

No dramas mate.

I’m in Red Hill and work in Woden. You’re also welcome to drop in and hear what an audiophile system can do.

2 hours ago, Irek said:

It looks like you met a very generous Santa Clause. Lucky you. 

The center speaker is missing, are you sure you unpacked all boxes. 

Thanks Irek.  I don't remember packing a centre speaker.... I'll double check but pretty sure all that there is is here.  cheers