Sign in to follow this  
Sing

Loose Volume Knob an Yamaha AS1000 Amp

Hi all

I just bought a 2nd hand Yamaha AS1000 which was delivered well packed to my front door. However shortly after setting it up the volume dial came loose (See picture).

I'm not sure how this can happen, and  whether it's an easy fix?

The shipping company claims that it doesnt look like it due to transport damage so it's not covered by insurance :(

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sing

Yamaha dial_Moment.jpg

Posted (edited)

The hole on the side is to put (normally) an allen key to fit the screw head. So you can loosen it off slightly, place knob back in position and then tighten the bolt with the allen key. Not super tight.

Just need the correct one. Unless it may be a flat head. You might have to look with a torch down the hole to check. The hole closest to your thumb.

Edited by rocky500

2 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

The hole on the side is to put (normally) an allen key to fit the screw head. So you can loosen it off slightly, place knob back in position and then tighten the bolt with the allen key.

Just need to correct one. Unless it may be a flat head. You might have to look with a torch down the hole to check. The hole closest to your thumb.

Thanks! Is there a technique to ensure the "Dots" line up properly?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sing said:

Thanks! Is there a technique to ensure the "Dots" line up properly?

Normally, you line up the bolt to the flat side of the shaft to hold the volume knob in place if it has one.

But loosen off the bolt, place it on the shaft, slightly tighten enough to turn the knob all the way left to zero,  

Then loosen screw, and adjust to zero on the knob carefully not turning shaft, then when lined up, re tighten the bolt/screw.

Edited by rocky500

Thanks mate, I'll have a look at it when I get home!

I see a pic of the volume and the marks.

Want to line these two up when the volume is all the way to the left at its lowest setting.

Then once tightening, with it off, try turning all the way up and see if the volume marks line up at maximum. 

2019-06-05_083658.jpg.d3ebfcabf83a3866f5a8ca8a3ae42c12.jpg

Posted (edited)

The other thing to consider before tightening the bolt is not to place the volume knob all the way in as it will rub against the faceplate of the amplifier. I had in the past Yamaha AS1000 and after afew years of use had to tighten the volume knob. So would not be to concerned that it is loose or came off. Also the design is as such that the hex bolt will go against the flat side of the shaft.

Neo

Edited by Neo

Personally i'd adjust it so it went up to 11 :lol:

Na jokes aside cannot offer any other assistance as others have already described the procedure well.