Ortofon 2m Red, upgrade too...?

Hey everyone,

looking for some recommendations on which stylus to upgrade to from an Ortofon 2m Red.

Why? Well I was listening to Ryhe's 'Song for you' on my CXN from Spotify and thought I'd quickly pop on the vinyl version I have for an A-B.

IMHO the digital won, better voice and midrange clarity and sound stage. I was a little disappointed.

The phono pre I'm using is the Elekit TU-8500 https://www.elekit.co.jp/en/product/TU-8500 with some Tung Sol tubes. I have the option to run the streamer through the pre as well and it enhances the vocals in a nice way compare to balanced straight into the CXA80. So I'm thinking the pre is cool and the stylus needs some looking at.

The turny is a Technics SL1200 I have had since late 90's that I brought new ( I flipped many a McDonalds burger to get it!). Not really a option to change tables at this stage.

The Ortofon Blue is next step up the chain but I'm not loyal to Ortofon by any means, but that is within my budget. Any recommendations or should I save up more to really get something that would make a improvement?

I have 5 crates of records and want my invested to sound as good or better that a 320 MP3.

Thanks!

Hi there!
I know quite a few 1200 users with the Nagaoka 500 who are super happy, and a few who are using the Denon 103 or Hana carts who are also really happy.
If you like Ortofon, why not consider the 2M Bronze or Black. They’re both obviously superior to the Red and Blue, with buckets more detail, more stable imaging.
Finally, have you had your 1200 serviced recently? At 20-30 years old, it might really help.
It’s a nice problem to have. Enjoy the hunt!
Mick.

• Like 3

Was using a 2M Black on my 1200mk2 for a while before I acquired the Denon DP75. It sounded really, really good. Different to the 103R on my Denon of course in the typical characteristic way of the black. A bronze would probably be the sweet spot I think, more fun and rocky, warmer with slightly less detail than the black.

• Like 1

Guest Mr Thorens

Very interesting YouTube channel. Maybe I'm biased, but do the Ortofons seem to sound the most natural and detailed - except for the AT OC9

It’s interesting at the one person’s accurate is another person’s cold. Some people love Nagaoka carts and some find them too warm. I seem to be a bit strange amongst my vinyl loving friends for enjoying all of them and finding their strengths fascinating.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr Thorens said:

Very interesting YouTube channel. Maybe I'm biased, but do the Ortofons seem to sound the most natural and detailed - except for the AT OC9

My Rock has an AT OC9 III fitted, sounded OK the other weekend :)

Guest Mr Thorens
30 minutes ago, Batty said:

My Rock has an AT OC9 III fitted, sounded OK the other weekend :)

Sure did. I still like my Ortofon Bronze too, different sound. One day I would like to upgrade further. 

16 hours ago, PauliD said:

Well I was listening to Ryhe's 'Song for you' on my CXN from Spotify and thought I'd quickly pop on the vinyl version I have for an A-B.

IMHO the digital won, better voice and midrange clarity and sound stage. I was a little disappointed.

I use Spotify Premium and found it lacks resolution in every way compared to my turntable using the cartridges I have.I do use it for background music and sometimes I'll sit down if something comes up that I like.

I reckon you have another problem besides your cartridge. Your table might not be isolated properly. Sounds like a high noise floor to me. Also, See if you can borrow another phono pre that is known to be good and try that.

I have an unused Ortofon 2M Silver cart which is surplus to needs. It was supplied OEM with my previous TT but I already had a higher spec Audio Technica cart to use. These are a Pro-Ject exclusive cart which is basically a 2M Red/Blue body with upgraded silver internals similar the bronze and black. Stylus is apparently the same as the red but a blue stylus can be fitted to lift closer to bronze performance.

PM if interested as I was going to put this in the classifieds soon.

Edited by blybo

@Wimbo good idea to try another cart before purchasing to narrow down the issue. The only problem is my only other audiophile mate's cart cost more than my entire setup so I can't see him lending it to me after being professional installed.

BTW I know vinyl is superior to spotify thats why I'm here to help to get that happening. But I am no means a golden ear :)

Guest Mr Thorens

Some Ortofon dealers have the full range to try out one by one on an Ortofon TT (I think it's a rebadged higher end Project). Challenge HiFi in Adelaide did that with me and I could then hear that the Q Bronze>2M black>2M Bronze>>Quintet Blue. 

1 hour ago, PauliD said:

@Wimbo good idea to try another cart before purchasing to narrow down the issue. The only problem is my only other audiophile mate's cart cost more than my entire setup so I can't see him lending it to me after being professional installed.

BTW I know vinyl is superior to spotify thats why I'm here to help to get that happening. But I am no means a golden ear :)

Phono stage, not cartridge :)

2 hours ago, blybo said:

I have an unused Ortofon 2M Grey cart which is surplus to needs. It was supplied OEM with my previous TT but I already had a higher spec Audio Technica cart to use. These are a Pro-Ject exclusive cart which is basically a 2M Blue with upgraded silver internals.

As replacement stylus's are available for these you could potentially get a bronze stylus and my Grey for around the price of a new Bronze, and get above bronze performance.

PM if interested as I was going to put this in the classifieds soon.

Just for clarity, the Grey is for 78's.

As per the other thread, the one you have is a Silver, which is an improved Red, and sits between the Red and the Blue. You can't fit a Bronze stylus in a Silver body.

From the Ortofon website:

https://www.ortofon.com/stylus-2m-silver-p-396

2M series styli are interchangeable within the below combinations: 
- 2M Red, 2M Blue and 2M Silver
- 2M Bronze and 2M Black
- 2M Mono and 2M 78

Cheers,

Jason.

1 hour ago, koputai said:

- 2M Bronze and 2M Black
- 2M Mono and 2M 78

That is good stuff to know!

I thought any 2M all had the same cartridge.

2 hours ago, koputai said:

Just for clarity, the Grey is for 78's.

As per the other thread, the one you have is a Silver, which is an improved Red, and sits between the Red and the Blue. You can't fit a Bronze stylus in a Silver body.

From the Ortofon website:

https://www.ortofon.com/stylus-2m-silver-p-396

2M series styli are interchangeable within the below combinations: 
- 2M Bronze and 2M Black
- 2M Mono and 2M 78

Cheers,

Jason.

Sorry, yes it is a silver, my apologies. I'll correct my original post.

Ortofon are being a bit deceptive I feel. The stylus styles/types are different, but I've read in many websites that 2M stylus' are all interchangeable

If your tonearm has VTA adjustment then the Ortofon Black should be a big upgrade, I have one listed in the  classifieds section, it has low usage as it wasn't compatible with my system.

The Ortofon stylus system means all of the 2M series is interchangeable. HOWEVER!!! The body for the bronze and black is of a different material than for red/blue. It improves performance significantly by better dealing with resonance.
So yes, you can put a black stylus on a red body, but you’ll be missing out of a lot of performance. This is why Ortofon day they’re not interchangeable.
In this case, “interchangeable” and “they fit” are two very different things.

• Like 1

Guest Mr Thorens
4 hours ago, hlov said:

If your tonearm has VTA adjustment then the Ortofon Black should be a big upgrade, I have one listed in the  classifieds section, it has low usage as it wasn't compatible with my system.

You mean this?  It’s a bargain.