Sign in to follow this  
oztayls

Tonearm rewire

I bought the original Rega 2 & 3 decks and the bearing assembly was stone age compared to that in my Kenwood decks, which came onto the market at about the same time. The ball bearing was of a very low grade which is unforgiveable. When I removed it and placed it on glass - it rolled around like a drunk.

The RB250 arm was only useable if the arm was really loose. the RB300 was hardly any better. in fact many preferred the RB250. Maybe the new decks are better but no way could they possibly compete with any of the Japanese superdecks of the 70s/80s.

I have a s/hand RB250 which I used to experiment with arm rewiring using bog standard wrapping wire, this is easy as the Rega arms are one piece. The truth about one piece arms is a very simple economic one - they are cheaper to manufacture, same as weaving conductors for i/connects or phonos - no need to use a sheath which makes construction far easier = cheaper = more profit.

I repeat - if a one piece arm is mounted in such a way that no vibration/resonance  is transmitted from the motor or via the platform then that is fine, if not then a detachable h/shell can with the use of a small amount of Blutak stop any negative impact on the cartridge signal transmission.

I don't understand your comments about a worn out stylus. If it's an MM no problem, the stylus is detachable, if it's an MC then the cartridge itself has to be removed. If your new tonearm wiring is soldered to cartridge tags - what is the problem. 

I have an AT 33EV MC and I'm about to trial a Pickering 7500S LOMM. I'm sure that the AT will perform better with a lower arm mass so I've bought a much lighter h/shell than the chunky Kenwood aluminium one. If I like what I hear I will buy another identical lightweight h/shell . I do have access to an SME 3009 which is probably more suitable for both cartridges but I cannot accept losing the benefits of the simple arm set-up or superbly engineered Kenwood arm or it's functions of end-of-side arm lift and motor turn-off. How often do you see an LP scratched by the stylus  at end-of-side - never happens with this simple brilliant function. Why didn't all t/ts adopt this simple hydraulic lift  mechanism - build complexity and profit interference.

Re. rewiring - use the existing wiring as 'draw wires' using temporary soldering to the new wiring - simple and easy to do.

Batty,

have you ever made any i/connects using air cored dialectric or, are you making a theoretical point - all theory should come from practice, otherwise it's worthless.

On 06/06/2019 at 8:41 AM, oztayls said:

@Southerly Interesting stuff. I do believe that a one piece arm including the headshell is the ultimate, although it's somewhat inconvenient for changing carts. Rega engineers did some work on this and came to the conclusion that joints should be eliminated where possible and took that premise into their cartridge designs and wiring looms as well. Again, inconvenient to have to throw out a hand built cartridge when you damage a stylus or it wears out. I liked the Rega arms and carts but for all the pluses, the minuses are hard to live with. 

The Grace is a great arm which could be improved if it didn't have that DIN connector and had straight through wiring. It makes the whole assembly so stiff and it's difficult to dress the wiring to minimise the impact of it on function.

Interestingly Rega didn't implement the straight through wiring in the RB250 and 300. There are two solder joints. One from the headshell wires into the internal arm wire. And another from the internal arm wire into the small circular base PCB into which the RCA cable is soldered. This is poor design and part of the reason many Rega rewires sound so much better as well as replacing the flimsy low grade internal wiring with litz 

3 hours ago, Mr Thorens said:

Interestingly Rega didn't implement the straight through wiring in the RB250 and 300. There are two solder joints. One from the headshell wires into the internal arm wire. And another from the internal arm wire into the small circular base PCB into which the RCA cable is soldered. This is poor design and part of the reason many Rega rewires sound so much better as well as replacing the flimsy low grade internal wiring with litz 

To be fair though, the RB250/300 are old arms introduced in 1983 and I think we’re made by Acos. Later models were wired straight through. The straight through wiring is seen in their cartridges where the stylus is integral to the cart body and cannot be replaced. This eliminates a connection point. The downside is you have to replace the whole cart, not just the stylus when it wears out or is damaged. 

Hmm my RB301, RB303 and RB251 also had the same poor wiring regime. 

1 hour ago, oztayls said:

To be fair though, the RB250/300 are old arms introduced in 1983 and I think we’re made by Acos. Later models were wired straight through. The straight through wiring is seen in their cartridges where the stylus is integral to the cart body and cannot be replaced. This eliminates a connection point. The downside is you have to replace the whole cart, not just the stylus when it wears out or is damaged. 

This comment makes no sense. 

The Rega arms have wiring from the cart to the round circular post at the bottom of the arm or all the way from the cart to the end of the RCA. 

All MM carts can have the stylus replaced. MC carts need to be replaced or re-tipped. 

You don’t have to replace a whole cart because an arm is a Rega arm. 

Thebrega carts don't have a replaceable stylus. However the arms do have two internal solder joints and this is suboptimal. After all it's a budget arm. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

This comment makes no sense. 

The Rega arms have wiring from the cart to the round circular post at the bottom of the arm or all the way from the cart to the end of the RCA. 

All MM carts can have the stylus replaced. MC carts need to be replaced or re-tipped. 

You don’t have to replace a whole cart because an arm is a Rega arm. 

My RB220 is one piece from the cartridge to the RCA. MM carts don't have replaceable styli.apart from the base model "Carbon" which is an Audio Technica cart.

Edited by oztayls