Roon Discussion Thread

I was surprised there is no dedicated thread on Roon.

This is a "fanboy" post. I love the software. It gives you such a rich experience. I am constantly following links between artists.

eg. Someone put a Maceo Parker cd up for sale. I know zero about Jazz so I have a look on Roon and discover that he plays sax on some Prince albums that I used to think had really good sax on them. You can also see other Artists he has played with as well as other albums of his of course. Just a small taste but I am constantly doing this.  Just clicking on links. I couldn't do this reading a CD/LP cover without having to google anyway. Hi arist website, facebook page and wikipedia page are all there as well.

With the latest update to 1.2 I feel a lot more confident that this project will have a long life ahead of it. If Tidal dies, they will link to whatever is the next best thing. You will still have your own library.

With this release they included a Linux Bridge (ie endpoint) as well as server. I think this will open the floodgates on future Roon devices both servers and endpoints. There is plenty of detail on their site and the forum is already busy with many Linux queries.

For me with zero Linux skills I managed to get an RPI2 loaded and Roon could see it and took less than an hour with lots of googling and silly errors in between. I can only imagine what people who know what they are doing will achieve. I am now tempted to switch an old PC over to Linux to use as a core so I can avoid the endless Windows updates etc. 

My main set-up is Roon Win10 core to SBT to Devialet Phantoms via Optical. Also have Roon on my study PC to Asus Sonar STX to powered Emotivas.

Anyway interested in other peoples Roon set ups and plans.

Edited by SteveC
  • Like 4

@@SteveC

Could you take a photo of the biggest album artwork that Roon will display

Also can you add different pictures to individual songs so they display on the computer screen when the song is playing

I trialled Roon last year but didn't like the screen graphics but understand it has been upgraded

Roon lifer myself. I really enjoy the experience too, great for discover and artist info and their display of Tidal makes it so much more usable than Tidal's own appalling application.

I really miss Roon when I am outside my home network though, this is the main thing I think they're missing.

@@SteveC

Could you take a photo of the biggest album artwork that Roon will display

Also can you add different pictures to individual songs so they display on the computer screen when the song is playing

I trialled Roon last year but didn't like the screen graphics but understand it has been upgraded

I just picked a random, this is 1280 x 1280 - no idea what the maximum is.

I cannot see why you need different images for each song? I have never had the need. If you are listening to singles then they should each have an image anyway. You can change the image for each album to your own or Roon default or "best" option. By default, Roon used the highest resolution front cover available.

post-128612-0-81554800-1461047798_thumb.

@@SteveC

Thanks

I sit well back from the computer so being able to see at a glance what song is playing is sometimes important

Also I like pictures of bands so I change the artwork from album cover to a photo

Not important to most people I guess

post-141610-0-25462000-1461049799_thumb.

post-141610-0-31257200-1461049831_thumb.

@@SteveC

Thanks

I sit well back from the computer so being able to see at a glance what song is playing is sometimes important

Also I like pictures of bands so I change the artwork from album cover to a photo

Not important to most people I guess

Most people have better things to do than manually update artwork, tags etc.

And this is not a personal attack, general post.

SteveC > I'll read up on this, it sounds interesting (been reading album/vinyl covers for years, including and especially jazz)... but, I'm suspecting it's not free?[/quote

I feel Roon advertising has not hit Australia, sorry to say but Stereo Net members seem clueless about it.

It's not free but it's the best thing since ice cream .

• Like 1

Most people have better things to do than manually update artwork, tags etc.

And this is not a personal attack, general post.

That's funny

But it gets worse

I've got about 15000 lyrics to songs

A lot have been tagged by looking through obscure web sites for country music and hillbilly sites to get lyrics for songs written up to 80 years ago

I even have lyrics for live versions of Dylan songs with diffent words to the record

When I trialed Roon I ended up with about 6000 lyrics wrong artwork blurred art work it was hell

Having said that it really is a great system and I would recommend it to anyone except fanatics

• Like 2

That's funny

But it gets worse

A lot have been tagged by looking through obscure web sites for country music and hillbilly sites to get lyrics for songs written up to 80 years ago

I even have lyrics for live versions of Dylan songs with diffent words to the record

When I trialed Roon I ended up with about 6000 lyrics wrong artwork blurred art work it was hell

Having said that it really is a great system and I would recommend it to anyone except fanatics

Yes you are not the average user but you prove my point. Roon gives you the artwork and lyrics and links etc. good for people like me who have no time to do all that curating. 

• Like 1

SteveC > I'll read up on this, it sounds interesting (been reading album/vinyl covers for years, including and especially jazz)... but, I'm suspecting it's not free?

I feel Roon advertising has not hit Australia, sorry to say but Stereo Net members seem clueless about it.

It's not free but it's the best thing since ice cream .

Qwertyqaz > Ex-squease me? Not knowing something is one thing, but "clueless" is something else entirely. My question was valid, and did not (in my opinion) necessitate a response that insinuated that I, or anyone else that uses this forum, is clue-LESS. As for ice cream, burp! I know this.... arse, grass, or cash, nobody rides for free. I guess I shouldn't have asked in the first place. So call me ignorant, innocent, but NOT clue-LESS... as I am not that. Oh, and next time close the HTML brackets and you won't create a major HTML issue.

PS: And this is not a personal attack, just general post.

Edited by rastus
  • Like 1

That's funny

But it gets worse

So what software do you use to do all that?

I spent this afternoon playing with Roon, all I can say that it  had me glued to my lounge jumping from track to track. I'd give it 5/5. It has a great user interface. It will take some time for me to get the most out of it.

It took me a while to get it working with the Auralic Aires LE, you need to enable Roon in the Lightning DS settings.

The only downside is its hefty price tag, to be honest, I can't justify $153AU/year or the $649AU lifetime license.

So take this as a warning, do not trial it if you think the license is too expensive, otherwise you'll be disappointed.

Sonos is dead - all hail the new king - Roon

If I were Sonos, I'd give Roon access to their devices, with the caveat that HI RES files won't work. Unless it's down sampled in the same way Apple Air Play is.

I've been waiting for this too.

@@wolster can you go through the grief of setting it up so I've got someone to help me when I stuff it up?

Is it a LMS plug-in, or do you just download Roon on a tablet/PC whatever and access the vortexbox via the app?

@@Bell Ringer

Nice one  :P

Won't be for a while. We have house guests. But if you read that link it sounds straight forward  ;)

• Like 1