On 19/01/2020 at 5:24 PM, Dasher said:

I first  tried Roon a couple a yeas ago when I used the free trail. I wasn’t impressed and the need to use a PC put me of as it wasn’t family friendly. 

About a month ago I bought a yearly membership and again wasn’t impressed...until I bought NUC of SNA to use as a dedicated core and gave myself some time to get used to how Roon works. Now I love it. It just works, no mucking around, no glitches , the GUI is slick and intuitive and the way it recommends  music is incredible. The team at Roon have done a great job and really picked a need in the market: makes you wonder why someone didn’t develop this earlier.

I've also just installed Roon on a NUC I have had foobar running for years. I've been trying all day to get it to finish indexing my library. The roon app seems to constantly be crashing. 12 hours in and I'm at 4100 albums. I think that is only about half. I hope the crashing doesn't continue once the major indexing is over. I've had to have it play music so I know when the music stops that the app has crashed. 

Hopefully I like it to shell out money for it when everyone else in the family is happy with their Spotify subscription.

They can struggle indexing a little, also depending on your network configuration and location of your media. What spec is your NUC?

It should settle a little once indexing is complete.

On 03/02/2020 at 8:49 AM, Marc said:

They can struggle indexing a little, also depending on your network configuration and location of your media. What spec is your NUC?

It should settle a little once indexing is complete.

It did end up settling and stopped crashing. However, I changed a couple of options just so it displays extra metadata on albums and I can hear the NUC buzzing away and the CPU is almost at a constant 100%. The NUC is a NUC5PPYB that I was using as a HTPC back in the day.

Lesson learnt and I have just ordered an Asus mini PC with the latest gen i7 CPU, 16GB RAM and will hook up a hard drive with a local copy of my music collection (2TB+ )rather than read it off of a NAS share.

On 13/02/2020 at 1:42 AM, bilgin said:

will hook up a hard drive with a local copy of my music collection (2TB+ )rather than read it off of a NAS share.

Bear in mind that the ability to read the Roon database is the main performance hurdle for vanilla use of Roon. Putting the index on an SSD is really worthwhile, the library share on a NAS is fine.

Going to test this out over the weekend running on a nuc - has anyone found a cheaper way to buy in to their ecosystem?

Thankyou

4 minutes ago, barbz127 said:

Has anyone found a cheaper way to buy in to their ecosystem?

It depends what you already have. You can run it on lots of things, including a NAS but a Rock install on a NUC is probably the best bang for buck. You can also run it on Windows on said NUC.

Thankyou, moreso from the licensing side. Is there anyway to get group discounts, referrals or similar?

My nuc is running daphile at the moment so hardware is catered for. 

Thankyou

Oh I see. No pretty much what you see is what you pay. If you take an annual licence you get a credit if you change that to lifetime.

IMHO - I see no reason to use a Roon Nucleus or other NUC core if you have a decent laptop, desktop or mac equivalent. Now that does depend on you using mostly streaming services. Indexing and playing of NAS is good with Nucleus and the multi-room platform is also good. Have I just refuted what I said in first sentence? Again, if you're using Roon for just streaming, just use your PC as the core. Services are more dependent on your networking bandwidth than having a standalone core unit. BTW, if you're a Tidal or Qobuz user then their apps are pretty good. What I like about Roon is the way it "finds" and "controls" your players. Especially, with the DSP options. YMMV.

In my case I was using daphile on a spare nuc and before that aidivarna on a spare Mac mini; both work ok for playback of local music to the direct connected dac. I've signed up the 30 day trial od roon which is great for getting music around the house rather than just casting from a mobile to the one device (Chromecast audio).

The WAF of roon is huge and will likely pay for a one year sub to start with....

I spent so much time tagging for jriver that when roon came into my system I continued the time consuming activity... then many months later I started to spend that time on listening to music instead... yes Roon is very much worth it (and I was skeptical of the cost before I tried it) as it makes the listening experience simply richer

Roon is worth every penny. 
I use NUC with Euphony, an a QNAP453 NAS

i like the outlook of it very much

Roon is 100% worth it. Have a NUC connected straight into my modem with approx 10,000 songs on it, and then I have about 15,000 on my tidal library that's all grouped together. The interface is amazing and the amount of new music I discover via Discover and Roon Radio is great too. I currently use it with a Sonos One in the bedroom, mine and my partners computers and LS50Ws in the living area. I bought the Allo Digione to use with the Kefs so I can get multiroom streaming with the computer speakers. Also works nicely with my Fiio M11 Pro. All around super worth it compared to my old solution of Apple music.

Looks like Roon has gone monthly subscription. I'm in.

1 hour ago, Cardiiiii said:

That's sneaky of them.

pesky small print

After tried Roon and Tidal for a while, I’m back to old school CD and Vinyl now. 

Tried Roon over the long weekend and I've got to say I really like the user interface, ease of use and speed.

best part is the boss loves it too. 

have used Audirvana for over a year now and truth be told , the interface is really not done well and is slow in comparison.

Most interesting part is that Roon actually sounds better than both Audirvana and Tidal's own app. 

It shouldn't but somehow it does.

I'm gonna try it to the 13th day and decide.

Posted (edited)

I'll post a mini review of Roon so far as I'm just on the trial - I'm involved with IT on the daily so here's my take

Pros

• Very fast to set up. I work in IT and when it just worked, it worked! 
  • Roon Radio and the discover feature are nice touches. I'm finding a lot of new music and actually found myself listening to hours rather than just a playlist or a few songs
  • Connects to my Google speakers around the house which is neat
  • When Roon Radio works, it works really well
  • Information overload, you can just find info and its very cool
  • Love how I can control everything with my tablet or phone
  • I love how I can put tunes on across the house, its amazing (living room, office, outdoors ect)
  • It keeps a history of what music I played. Just incase I liked a song but need to find it again for later
  • DSP stuff, I haven't got to use it yet but I like that its there
  • HQ player integration (Up sampling)
  • A little bit of WAF there. The missus likes getting muso information out of it
  • Metadata and information is good - mind you, I haven't gone hard on looking over my library in roon. I just use it to find new songs and enjoy the music. I'm more into organising my actual music files.
  • Dark theme? Yes.

50/50s

• Everyone praises the interface and how it looks. Its alright but nothing special (In terms of raw UX - other apps it walks all over)
  • A like interacting with my files, so not being able to get hands on with them is a bit odd but its alright
  • Not sure if what I like or save is going to translate over to my Tidal subscription or not
  • It isn't a revalation. Like, I've gotten into World/Japanese music lately, and its not going to connect me to that is it
  • I never use the radio features, but it cools to have in there. I do wonder if there is any advantage to using this (As I do know there are stand alone apps for 30 dollars that allow you to EQ streams coming into the PC to improve on the Radio sound for your system)
  • The up sampling, I've used HQ player on its own and this is a huge boon to have roon - that said, even with my DAC with a nice ESS Sabre implemenation and DSD and blah blah blah I can tell no difference between my 5 year old mobo dac, my yamaha avr and the DAC when upsampling. Maybe if I had a Chord Mojo or something.
  • Kareoke is nice but it could be better

Cons

• I can't seem to find a simple EQ. You know what I'm saying folks. Give me some presets? Why you ask? Because if you dont have a proper mic, REW, audessy, ypao, minidsp+ or a deqx you're going to be relying on speaker positioning (inc subs) - room treatment - and whatever eq you can get your hands on. I've found a product Audiophiles hate but it actually tames things right down whilst preserving a lot. Sounds very good to my ears. But hey, some people might love that Klipsch sound signature - I prefer the fact I have big bad speakers that can do well with programming 
  • The price. 500 dollars? Maybe when it kicked off.  100 a year? Nothing really comes close but I don't want to pay 100 per year. When I can just use all the seperate tools just fine. But this is more convenient overall I think. I get the feeling that another player might come into the game, such as Microsoft improving its Groove music or even the stream services getting better by adding more features.

What I would like to see

• Simpler EQ
  • More hands on with Tidal (I'm not sure if what I do in roon saves across)
  • Roon Radio working without fault
  • Maybe a visualiser 
  • Maybe better "party tricks" for TV. I like to have my TV on as a dashboard/monitor and I usually have custom rainmeter add ons running with my wallpapers to give it a real effect in the room. I get a lot of compliments. I'd like to see Roon be more visually orientated like that. 
  • Improvement to the Kareoke

Overall

This is a product where if I forget to cancel my trial and I get billed I will be OK with that. For a lot of people though, Roon is a god send and is the best that there is out there for this kind of thing. 

I feel I'm more connected to my music which is a good thing and finding more new music which is even better. 

Edited by StereoLepi

This will probably be old news for some, but I went to check when my subscription renews for Roon this morning and thought I would check the Lifetime price again.  Its gone up to $699 US ;-O.  To be honest, I think that is ridiculous, and particular in light of all the speculation over platform longevity and what a 'lifetime' really seems to mean nowadays..  I can't imagine too many picking that up.  To those that bought it for $400US.....good on yas.

I think I'm in for another year because I enjoyed it (when my NBN provided enough bandwidth for the Tidal addon).  I will rescope the landscape in 12 months time.  I think, at these prices, its likely there will be other players into the game.

On 16/04/2020 at 8:01 PM, StereoLepi said:

Kareoke is nice but it could be better

I wasn't aware of a Karaoke feature in Roon. What/where is it?

8 hours ago, Fubar990 said:

To be honest, I think that is ridiculous, and particular in light of all the speculation over platform longevity and what a 'lifetime' really seems to mean nowadays.. 

But that's exactly why it has gone up. This was always Roon's stated plan: you were taking a punt on a startup, helping them out with cashflow, and in return you got a discount. Now they are stable, and actually have a product, you lose that discount. Personally, I find the subscription model better anyway.

8 hours ago, Fubar990 said:

This will probably be old news for some, but I went to check when my subscription renews for Roon this morning and thought I would check the Lifetime price again.  Its gone up to $699 US ;-O.  To be honest, I think that is ridiculous, and particular in light of all the speculation over platform longevity and what a 'lifetime' really seems to mean nowadays..  I can't imagine too many picking that up.  To those that bought it for $400US.....good on yas.

I think I'm in for another year because I enjoyed it (when my NBN provided enough bandwidth for the Tidal addon).  I will rescope the landscape in 12 months time.  I think, at these prices, its likely there will be other players into the game.

That sucks. I didn't see the change! I almost changed to lifetime last year. Oh well. I'm not sure where music will be at in 5 years so I guess i'll just stick to yearly subscriptions.

Yes, Roon is worth it. I have two Roon setups with two lifetime memberships. One at home, one at work. Both use an Intel NUC with SSD running ROCK as the core. Each is backed up daily to a second SSD and a USB3 stick.

The work setup has the music library on an USB3 attached 4TB external drive. The home setup has the music library on a Synology NAS.

I mostly use an iPad at each location as the control device. The music stream is delivered to Raspberry Pi devices with various DAC hats. Three at work and five at home.

I don't use Tidal or any other streaming service as I like to own the music I listen to. I haven't bothered to use Roon's radio streaming capability much.

My main downside with using Roon is that it doesn't have a proper security system. You can setup users, but every user has complete access to the entire library and can read, play, edit and delete stuff. There is no read and play only option to allow guests or customers access to the setup without the danger of them stuffing up the library.

The other downside is that the connections it makes expends my musical knowledge too much. Thus I need to buy more music, resulting in my collection more than doubling to some 2300 albums since starting with Roon.