On 19/01/2020 at 5:24 PM, Dasher said:

I first  tried Roon a couple a yeas ago when I used the free trail. I wasn’t impressed and the need to use a PC put me of as it wasn’t family friendly. 

About a month ago I bought a yearly membership and again wasn’t impressed...until I bought NUC of SNA to use as a dedicated core and gave myself some time to get used to how Roon works. Now I love it. It just works, no mucking around, no glitches , the GUI is slick and intuitive and the way it recommends  music is incredible. The team at Roon have done a great job and really picked a need in the market: makes you wonder why someone didn’t develop this earlier.

I've also just installed Roon on a NUC I have had foobar running for years. I've been trying all day to get it to finish indexing my library. The roon app seems to constantly be crashing. 12 hours in and I'm at 4100 albums. I think that is only about half. I hope the crashing doesn't continue once the major indexing is over. I've had to have it play music so I know when the music stops that the app has crashed. 

Hopefully I like it to shell out money for it when everyone else in the family is happy with their Spotify subscription.

They can struggle indexing a little, also depending on your network configuration and location of your media. What spec is your NUC?

It should settle a little once indexing is complete.

On 03/02/2020 at 8:49 AM, Marc said:

They can struggle indexing a little, also depending on your network configuration and location of your media. What spec is your NUC?

It should settle a little once indexing is complete.

It did end up settling and stopped crashing. However, I changed a couple of options just so it displays extra metadata on albums and I can hear the NUC buzzing away and the CPU is almost at a constant 100%. The NUC is a NUC5PPYB that I was using as a HTPC back in the day.

Lesson learnt and I have just ordered an Asus mini PC with the latest gen i7 CPU, 16GB RAM and will hook up a hard drive with a local copy of my music collection (2TB+ )rather than read it off of a NAS share.

On 13/02/2020 at 1:42 AM, bilgin said:

will hook up a hard drive with a local copy of my music collection (2TB+ )rather than read it off of a NAS share.

Bear in mind that the ability to read the Roon database is the main performance hurdle for vanilla use of Roon. Putting the index on an SSD is really worthwhile, the library share on a NAS is fine.

Going to test this out over the weekend running on a nuc - has anyone found a cheaper way to buy in to their ecosystem?

Thankyou

4 minutes ago, barbz127 said:

Has anyone found a cheaper way to buy in to their ecosystem?

It depends what you already have. You can run it on lots of things, including a NAS but a Rock install on a NUC is probably the best bang for buck. You can also run it on Windows on said NUC.

Thankyou, moreso from the licensing side. Is there anyway to get group discounts, referrals or similar?

My nuc is running daphile at the moment so hardware is catered for. 

Thankyou

Oh I see. No pretty much what you see is what you pay. If you take an annual licence you get a credit if you change that to lifetime.

IMHO - I see no reason to use a Roon Nucleus or other NUC core if you have a decent laptop, desktop or mac equivalent. Now that does depend on you using mostly streaming services. Indexing and playing of NAS is good with Nucleus and the multi-room platform is also good. Have I just refuted what I said in first sentence? Again, if you're using Roon for just streaming, just use your PC as the core. Services are more dependent on your networking bandwidth than having a standalone core unit. BTW, if you're a Tidal or Qobuz user then their apps are pretty good. What I like about Roon is the way it "finds" and "controls" your players. Especially, with the DSP options. YMMV.

In my case I was using daphile on a spare nuc and before that aidivarna on a spare Mac mini; both work ok for playback of local music to the direct connected dac. I've signed up the 30 day trial od roon which is great for getting music around the house rather than just casting from a mobile to the one device (Chromecast audio).

The WAF of roon is huge and will likely pay for a one year sub to start with....

I spent so much time tagging for jriver that when roon came into my system I continued the time consuming activity... then many months later I started to spend that time on listening to music instead... yes Roon is very much worth it (and I was skeptical of the cost before I tried it) as it makes the listening experience simply richer

Roon is worth every penny. 
I use NUC with Euphony, an a QNAP453 NAS

i like the outlook of it very much

Roon is 100% worth it. Have a NUC connected straight into my modem with approx 10,000 songs on it, and then I have about 15,000 on my tidal library that's all grouped together. The interface is amazing and the amount of new music I discover via Discover and Roon Radio is great too. I currently use it with a Sonos One in the bedroom, mine and my partners computers and LS50Ws in the living area. I bought the Allo Digione to use with the Kefs so I can get multiroom streaming with the computer speakers. Also works nicely with my Fiio M11 Pro. All around super worth it compared to my old solution of Apple music.