7 hours ago, blakey72 said:

So can you control Roon by Android if it's on a pc?

If Roon Server on a PC and Roon Remote on an Android ...yes.

10 hours ago, blakey72 said:

So can you control Roon by Android if it's on a pc?

I think you can control roon from pretty much anything there are apps/software for mac/pc/linux/apple and similarly for the server can sit on mac/pc/linux/qnap/synology. The server power will limit the amount of processing you can do but even a low power server should work for just playing.

Hmmm was happy to see this topic, given I am also pondering and pondering and pondering... (about roon software yes or no). Is there anyone (in Perth) who is using Roon and willing to maybe demo sometime during a day in a weekend?

Hi@perthpete I’ve got two systems setup using Roon as controller and Raspberry pies with Roopie as end point streamers into respective dacs. Also fancy myself as a barista too :) and Frank Prowse literally 200 Mtrs from my place so you could do the double

Hi A J, that sounds great! Will send a PM to set something up for in a few weeks time (recovering from a minor surgery atm, not allowed to drive for another 2 weeks or so).

I gave Roon a go last week for 3 days and found that it didn't really suit the way I have oganized and tagged my music. I knew that I wouldn't be able to view my music collection like windows explorer (folder/tree view) but decided to at least give it a go after a friend suggested I do so. I cancelled my free trial and shortly after received an email from Eric @ Roon. I explained why I thought it wouldn't work for me and he was good enough to email me back with a descriptive 4-5 step recommendation along with screenshots on how to use Roon's tagging and focus features to achieve what I wanted to do. He also re-enabled my trial for another 30 days instead of the standard 14. Absolute champion. I'll be giving his suggestion a go tonight and giving Roon a bit more of a thorough workout in the coming week or so.

@A J what HAT are you using with your Raspberry Pies? I used a 3b+ straight out from the USB to my Hugo and it was OK. I have three Pie that are gathering dust in my drawers.

I've demoed Roon twice and I loved it both times. Too bad they only offer up front payment terms. I would buy the lifetime subscription if I could pay over 12 months.

[mention=110771]A J[/mention] what HAT are you using with your Raspberry Pies? I used a 3b+ straight out from the USB to my Hugo and it was OK. I have three Pie that are gathering dust in my drawers.

I've demoed Roon twice and I loved it both times. Too bad they only offer up front payment terms. I would buy the lifetime subscription if I could pay over 12 months.

Hi [mention=140141]dolphy[/mention] - I use an Allo DigiOne on pi3 spdif into a Line Magnetic dac in one system and pi3 with 7” LCD - USB into a NAD M51 in the other - both running Ropiee now as it is bulletproof and the album art displays on the screen no issues - defaults to a digital clock as screen saver. Previously I was running Volumio but as I just use as Room endpoints Ropiee was the better/simpler option.

I got into Roon in the last half of 2018 and went the next step early this year by  installing a 15m Ethernet run to connect our upstairs modem/router (connected to NBN) to the Roon Nucleus  in our downstairs main system. Photo of setup below The black box on top shelf left is the Roon Nucleus.

Self installed 1TB SSD and loaded about 15,000 FLAC tracks. Used dbPoweramp and separate CD drive to rip at computer in office and saved direct to Roon SSD via Ethernet There is a very good White Paper published by Roon on why they didn’t include cdripper with Nucleus and other design choices.

I connect the outputs of the Nucleus as follows:

- USB1 output to Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ for MQA decoding to go through Musical Fidelity M6si and Paradigm Reference Studio 100s;

- USB2 output to Oppo HA1 Headphone Amp with Oppo PM1 headphones; and

HDMI out to Denon AVR 4520 for multi channel.

I had some great help on the StereoNet audio software forum to get the multichannel working (overcoming my own incompetence).  The system and software has performed flawlessly in all formats (incl MQA) in 2ch and multichannel. Love the Roon interface and have discovered heaps of music through Tidal and Roon radio. Have been enjoying the MQA decoding by Roon (in part) and the Brooklyn (balance) but to my ears it is not always clearly better (Schiit Jotunheim and LCD3s or Oppo HA1 and PM1s which are not MQA often just as good).

Using Roon controllers (computer, iPads and iPhones) to control 11 outputs (this includes outputting to our Sonos hardware around our house).  Roon has been stable and delivering great listening results and lots of interesting reading. All in all Roon and Nucleus has been another significant step forward in our Hi-Fi system and the quality, variety, experience and enjoyment of music.

To my mind Roon’s not quite as easy as Sonos but the extra quality and features make the relatively small increase in complexity definitely worth it with the bonus that it runs on our Sonos hardware. Have not dipped into DSP at this stage. Because the Nucleus runs the Roon Core no need for computer to be on.  

7B838DD0-7A69-4E0F-9D85-C21457092459.png

9BEA08B1-52AA-4FDB-8E73-79C50E46D90F.png

47A7A70D-2FF2-42D5-8C86-CFEA2ADD3CB9.jpeg

Better picture of Nucleus and main endpoints

A3D5247E-AEEA-4367-B881-A0ECB7DC112E.jpeg

Personally I absolutely think it's absolutely worth it.  Roon with Tidal integrated is brilliant combination for me and really found it to be the missing piece of the puzzle in my system.  Would not want to go back.

I had a Roon trial and I really liked it but couldn't bring myself to buy lifetime.

Since then I've set up remote control for Foobar, which I've configured to sound as good as Roon.

I've also got Tidal, it's just a matter of downloading the albums you want via Warlock (still in beta testing) and load it into Foobar.

On 03/06/2019 at 6:09 PM, captain starlight said:

Title says it all.  Is roon worth it?

i already use jriver and it is good for what it is. Although there are a few quirks that drive me crazy sometimes. However I have invested many hours into jriver and I am rather proud of the tagging I have done with it.

but I have started to think about roon though - the interface and information seems good.

For me the interface of Roon is useless as one can't control it with it IR remote like you can with JRiver MC in Theater View.

Also you can't use Spotify with Roon, I think.

With JRiver MC you can use the WDM driver or WASAPI Loopback feature on Windows to route audio from other apps like Spotify and or course Roon to it.

So if you really want to use the Roon interface but the JRiver MC audio engine you can (under Windows).

Edited by Satanica

50 minutes ago, Satanica said:

For me the interface of Roon is useless as one can't control it with it IR remote like you can with JRiver MC in Theater View.

Also you can't use Spotify with Roon, I think.

With JRiver MC you can use the WDM driver or WASAPI Loopback feature on Windows to route audio from other apps like Spotify and or course Roon to it.

So if you really want to use the Roon interface but the JRiver MC audio engine you can (under Windows).

It is possible to utilise a programable Harmony IR remote by installing the deep harmony extension, but would suggest a much better solution is to utilise a smartphone or tablet as control interface, pending what hardware you are using.

1 hour ago, POV said:

It is possible to utilise a programable Harmony IR remote by installing the deep harmony extension, but would suggest a much better solution is to utilise a smartphone or tablet as control interface, pending what hardware you are using.

This is seemingly a third party add-on and the developer is no longer contributing.

It looks dodgy and hardly full featured.

I love Roon so far but it confuses the hell out of me. Maybe I think I am getting old. Maybe I should start a new thread stating what I have and what I am trying to achieve??

I have done some reading up but the lingo just loses me and at the end I am none the wiser.

Edited by blakey72

27 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

I love Roon so far but it confuses the hell out of me. Maybe I think I am getting old. Maybe I should start a new thread stating what I have and what I am trying to achieve??

I have done some reading up but the lingo just loses me and at the end I am none the wiser.

go on, I'm sure the roonbrains trust will assist!

4 minutes ago, frednork said:

go on, I'm sure the roonbrains trust will assist!

Yep I will. I'll get onto it tomorrow night. 

Jump on the Roon Labs forum, best place for help using Roon. 

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

Jump on the Roon Labs forum, best place for help using Roon. 

Was going to say exatly that.  There is a huge body of knowledge on the Roon Labs Forum, with heaps of threads dedicated to getting started.  It's the place to go...

12 hours ago, Satanica said:

This is seemingly a third party add-on and the developer is no longer contributing.

It looks dodgy and hardly full featured.

I don’t think it’s particularly dodgy, there is a heap of folks over on roon labs forum using it.  I couldn’t comment with any authority on how fully featured it is.

I don’t think there is likely to be enough of a demand for roon to develop an IR solution when there are so many ways you can utilise a smart device to drive it...

Edited by POV

On 03/06/2019 at 8:19 PM, frednork said:

try a 60 day trial and should be easy to decide with this code  0PP0-M1NA-MLB4

thanks

On 03/07/2019 at 12:34 PM, Satanica said:

@Satanica i have a htpc that i use with eventghost(software) and a usb cec adapter that allows me to use my tv remote to navigate jriver theater view.

So it is possible, with eventghost and your IR setup you could also do something similar, allowing your IR remote to navigate roon or anything else for that matter. Not sure how tech savvy you are as it requires a bit of initial setup but i would be happy to explain further or even guide you through the process if you are at all interested. 

2 hours ago, Stephen0804 said:

@Satanica i have a htpc that i use with eventghost(software) and a usb cec adapter that allows me to use my tv remote to navigate jriver theater view.

So it is possible, with eventghost and your IR setup you could also do something similar, allowing your IR remote to navigate roon or anything else for that matter. Not sure how tech savvy you are as it requires a bit of initial setup but i would be happy to explain further or even guide you through the process if you are at all interested. 

No, Roon was never designed for use with an IR remote. Its interface would surely not be useable with one. Even it it was I don't think I would want Roon.

32 minutes ago, Satanica said:

No, Roon was never designed for use with an IR remote. Its interface would surely not be useable with one. Even it it was I don't think I would want Roon.

correct roon is not designed to use IR, eventghost ghost is a Windows automation tool. 

so you could map key presses on the IR remote to emulate keyboard key presses, so basically eventghost runs in the background independent of roon and when an IR button is pressed eventghost emulates the desired keystroke. 

this works for anything on Windows and you can make it focus on a particular window so if you minimize roon to do something else like a web browser the IR remote can either be disabled or you could have different key mapping to control the browser with the IR remote 

that's fine if you don't want to use roon :) just thought I'd explain a bit further because this method works for any program where keyboard control is possible, heck im pretty sure you can even emulate mouse movements with eventghost. 

although on closer inspection it looks like you can't even select individual album in album view with the arrow keys on a keyboard just change pages, that is kinda dumb either im doing something wrong or roon devs have overlooked it seems like a basic feature to be able to control with keyboard

1 minute ago, Stephen0804 said:

correct roon is not designed to use IR, eventghost ghost is a Windows automation tool. 

so you could map key presses on the IR remote to emulate keyboard key presses, so basically eventghost runs in the background independent of roon and when an IR button is pressed eventghost emulates the desired keystroke. 

this works for anything on Windows and you can make it focus on a particular window so if you minimize roon to do something else like a web browser the IR remote can either be disabled or you could have different key mapping to control the browser with the IR remote 

that's fine if you don't want to use roon :) just thought I'd explain a bit further because this method works for any program where keyboard control is possible, heck im pretty sure you can even emulate mouse movements with eventghost. 

although on closer inspection it looks like you can't even select individual album in album view with the arrow keys on a keyboard just change pages, that is kinda dumb either im doing something wrong or roon devs have overlooked it seems like a basic feature to be able to control with keyboard

I'm already using keymapping software allowing me to even do mouse movements and clicks with my IR remote