Roon Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Satanica said:

Not while KODI and Jriver MC reign. 

Fair enough.  Look can see you are very attached to your IR remote so obviously have found a solution that works.

For me Roon via smart device was a game changer in how I interface with my music collection.  Especially with Tidal integrated so can easily transition between stored music I own and streamed music from Tidal.

So when it comes to the original question of is Roon worth it, for me it's a resounding yes!

• Like 1

Guest gnnett

I can honestly say yes I think Roon is worth it (price performance etc).

But, having tried it twice now, I know I wont be using it any time soon.

The important thing for me was the hardware requirements and its ability to work with our Kef LSX. Unless I purchased a Roon Nucleus, or approved equivalent, the Kef LSX is never going to work. I needed something my wife could use from her tablet without worrying about switching on other devices, making sure of connectivity etc.

To go to the next step with Roon on the LSX (the proverbial system in a box) needs an intermediate hardware step less painful than the Nucleus. Maybe I will come back to it if RPi IV does Roon Server.

By comparison Spotify works with nothing more than an iPhone5s. No we cannot use our own music, no it is not hi-res, but it works.

Functionality won this time round. When I want hi-res and personal library, I use vinyl.

I will keep the CD collection now loaded on my cool Small Green Computer MicroJukebox to access via a few apps when the need arises.

In the meantime my wife enjoys listening to Spotify.

Cheers

Grantn

The important thing for me was the hardware requirements and its ability to work with our Kef LSX. Unless I purchased a Roon Nucleus, or approved equivalent, the Kef LSX is never going to work. I needed something my wife could use from her tablet without worrying about switching on other devices, making sure of connectivity etc.

To go to the next step with Roon on the LSX (the proverbial system in a box) needs an intermediate hardware step less painful than the Nucleus. Maybe I will come back to it if RPi IV does Roon Server.

By comparison Spotify works with nothing more than an iPhone5s. No we cannot use our own music, no it is not hi-res, but it works.

Functionality won this time round. When I want hi-res and personal library, I use vinyl.

I will keep the CD collection now loaded on my cool Small Green Computer MicroJukebox to access via a few apps when the need arises.

Cheers

Grantn

I would think the simplest solution is a pi running Ropiee ? Easy peasey can leave it running 24/7

Guest gnnett
35 minutes ago, A J said:

I would think the simplest solution is a pi running Ropiee ? Easy peasey can leave it running 24/7

The LSX are a roon ready end point already. My problem is I was making do with a lap top computer as Roon Server/Core, that was network connected via wifi. It is the Server/Core Roon requirement that probably needs to be ethernet connected to the network, that I do not have a solution for. Will keep a watching eye on where this:

https://darko.audio/2019/06/raspberry-pi-4b-promises-desktop-performance-from-an-sbc/

with his question...

"My first and only question about the 4B: is it powerful enough to run Roon Core?" 

goes.

Cheers

Gn 

The LSX are a roon ready end point already. My problem is I was making do with a lap top computer as Roon Server/Core, that was network connected via wifi. It is the Server/Core Roon requirement that probably needs to be ethernet connected to the network, that I do not have a solution for. Will keep a watching eye on where this:

https://darko.audio/2019/06/raspberry-pi-4b-promises-desktop-performance-from-an-sbc/

with his question...

"My first and only question about the 4B: is it powerful enough to run Roon Core?" 

goes.

Cheers

Gn 

Yeah I’ve ordered a 4 and that will be my first project with it - I do currently run from a Synology nas but that means I have 1 drive slot taken for this task. I misunderstood the issue - I can see clearly now ..........

3 hours ago, gnnett said:

Guessing here, will probably be enough for basic Roon Core, but not enough for DSP, upsampling...  I am sure Roon will announce something soon.  But if you are on the Roon forum, post a question there.

6 hours ago, gnnett said:

Cheers

Grantn

I just use a chrome cast audio via optical to the lsx, it works for me but obviously limited to 96/24.  This is no bother for me as all my stored music is ripped from cds anyhow.

Note the lsx downsamples anything higher to 96/24 in any event.

Guest gnnett
1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Guessing here, will probably be enough for basic Roon Core, but not enough for DSP, upsampling...  I am sure Roon will announce something soon.  But if you are on the Roon forum, post a question there.

I think John Darko agrees with you, it was his question, just my plagiarising. ?

I will hook onto the Roon forum as you suggest, but will also keep an eye on what AJ gets up to. ?

Cheers

Grantn

Guest gnnett

Good advice Snoopy8.

First responces on Roon Forum...

"So I suspect an RPi4 is still only good for small libraries. And it will still require Roon Labs to provide a version of Roon Server for arm…"

"As advanced as the Pi4 is for its architecture, it is nowhere close to having the power of a Core i3, the recommended minimum. Roon needs fast base core(s) rather than more cores for most operations."

I know my M7 was not good enough, although suspect that was more to do with the only able to use wifi.

And they are the positive responces. ?

Cheers

Grantn

I am not sure why people are finding the roon core a barrier? The computing power to do run of the mill audio (most of us don't do most of the DSP and upsampling that is possible), even to multiple zones if not great, and can be achieved with an old mac mini, a NUC type PC. Wait for a while and they turn up on the classifieds. The only reason to run a nucleus is if you are totally allergic to computers or have no-one you can ask to set one up. Once they are set up, they just work, and for the most part, if there is a problem, you turn them off and then turn them back on. 

The advantage of running roon rather than spotify or tidal from your phone is you can use your phone for other things, take a phone call, etc, and others in the house can continue to listen to music. 

Justin

Guest gnnett

Hi Justin

Agree completely and were it only me I would be there despite having the proverbial allergy you speak of.

My wish list is short, once the dust settles from my second skirmish with my wife, is:

on 24/7, or Start with one button or switch.

noiseless, no fan and no hard drive.

no dac, or other redundant  circuitry.

Currently my wife happily plays her music selection from Spotify using a tablet to control the stream to the Kef's.

I on the other hand use MConnect to play the burned CD's when it is my turn and long for the next opportunity to fiddle with the system.

Cheers

Grant 

We all have slightly differing requirements and scales to judge the outcomes. My partner walks around the house with her phone in her pocket playing a podcast, my son loves to yell “hey Siri, play...” to the HomePod, and I like the. Interface and music info I get from Roon, at least when I don’t have it on vinyl. 

Justin

New addition of Roon Nucleus and Roon to my system.  Running it via a Bluenode on Wifi.    I have previously used Sonos and the Bluesound apps.  Never any high end streamers ( well not yet).

It is fantastic.  No drop outs or signal issues.  Admittedly I have a semi-commercial wifi set up, but is via an old node which only uses 2.4Mhz rather than the 5Mhz band.  I am streaming some 96/24 files.

Love the way Roon integrates my quite large digital library with Tidal. 

In the scheme of "money-spent-on-toys" this is not huge.  The increased flexibility of the database is great.  The app runs rings around Bluesound. 

Yes definitely worth it for me.

• Like 3

On 08/07/2019 at 2:44 AM, gnnett said:

I think you are creating an obstacle that doesn't exist. What does "Roon Nucleus or approved equivalent" mean? You don't need a Nucleus. You can use just about any moderately powerful PC over ethernet, wifi, or BT. You can install headless RoonServer on it and it doesn't even have to have video capability or a powerful processor unless you are upsampling/DSP, which there isn't a reason to do with the Kefs. Turn it on and leave it on. Your wife uses the Roon app on her tablet. 

Nothing to switch on, or connect: Leave on. Especially over ethernet, but also over other connections.  You don't need ethernet. I have a server on 24/7 running RoonCore and there is nothing to "connect" on my home network. Turn on my tablet and go. 

Edited by firedog

Guest gnnett
1 hour ago, firedog said:

What does "Roon Nucleus or approved equivalent" mean?

Well I have a Spectre M7 that connected via wifi and had regular drop outs, to the point where my wife got frustrated with it and said no. That is why I said that I think ROON is most definitely worth it, but that I would not be buying any new hardware until my wife was happy to use it.

You are absolutely right it is a great product and can work in many/most situations and set ups, but for my current situation, no divorce is not an option so call me whatever you like, ROON isn't happening at this time.

I will take on board your advice when next I have a crack at it.

Cheers

Grant

2 minutes ago, gnnett said:

Well I have a Spectre M7 that connected via wifi and had regular drop outs, to the point where my wife got frustrated with it and said no. That is why I said that I think ROON is most definitely worth it, but that I would not be buying any new hardware until my wife was happy to use it.

You are absolutely right it is a great product and can work in many/most situations and set ups, but for my current situation, no divorce is not an option so call me whatever you like, ROON isn't happening at this time.

I will take on board your advice when next I have a crack at it.

Cheers

Grant

I had a lot of drop-outs too when using WiFi.

This wasn't due to speed, bandwidth or processing power but how Roon works

A very knowledgeable member suggested connecting the core and the endpoint direct to the same router.

I haven't had a drop-out since. 

54 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

I had a lot of drop-outs too when using WiFi.

This wasn't due to speed, bandwidth or processing power but how Roon works

A very knowledgeable member suggested connecting the core and the endpoint direct to the same router.

I have had a rock solid wifi and streaming.  Currently listening to a 24/192 file.  I think it may depend ( and I am not tech boy) on having a better router/wifi device, giving them fixed IP addresses and dedicated wifi bandwidth.  I am running a Miktik router with Unifi wifi in the house.  The amount of local wifi interference will make a difference and whether your streaming device is 2.4 or 5Mhz.  Wired connection will always be more reliable, but this was not an option for me

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

member suggested connecting the core and the endpoint direct to the same router.

Endpoints can be all over the house, connected to other switches and connected over WiFi.

It's having Roon Core hard-wired to the router that solved a lot of issues for people. The people in the other thread (and more on Roon's official forum) that had issues had their Roon Core wirelessly connected. That can work but can also be unreliable. But soon as they hard-wired their Roon Core to their router, problems disappeared.

Edited by Music2496
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Music2496 said:

Endpoints can be all over the house, connected to other switches and connected over WiFi.

It's having Roon Core hard-wired to the router that solved a lot of issues for people. The people in the other thread (and more on Roon's official forum) that had issues had their Roon Core wirelessly connected. That can work but can also be unreliable. But soon as they hard-wired their Roon Core to their router, problems disappeared.

Sorry yep, the core. It was just that I could wire my endpoints. 

• Like 1

Guest Peter the Greek

So if I have this right, I could run the Roon server on a PC and then have an "endpoint" hooked up to the hifi which would stream the music to it?

Where can I find a list of endpoint hardware?

A quick google search suggests a chromecast with an optical out cable?

The PC doesn't have wifi - presumably that wont stop me from using an ipad to run Roon via an endpoint?