Roon Discussion Thread

35 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

I had a hard time justifying the price tag, until I used it

@Hydrology

I agree.  Whether it is better than other products in terms of playback I cannot comment on.  It is flexible and to me an important value is the the database about the various files.  Not everything but most.  It can lead you into some interesting places and knowledge.  Worth the money.  Wonderful

John

• Like 1

I have been a member for 18 months, and have to say that it is great if you have a large number stored files, and you want to combine it with streaming. I use Tidal, and find the mix of this with my own stuff is good. It is a fairly slick interface, and the metadata and information about artists and albums is cool. You will find that you may not agree with what is said about your favourite albums, but it makes the experience a bit more engaging. 

You do have to sort out a Roon core, which basically means a separate device. You can go anywhere from throw money and not think about it (Roon nucleus), to full DIY. You do not need that much computing power unless you are doing room correction or lots of concurrent areas- I used an old mac mini from 2009, though the most important bit was having 256gb of SSD storage to be Roon's brain. The music can be stored elsewhere on a regular old drive. The Roon community forum is active and helpful in getting you going.  

You can do life membership, or you can do month to month. It kind of surprises me that people are happy to pay for new cables, a third version of Belafonte at Carnegie Hall, or other woo, but are less happy to pay for something that you are directly interacting with all the time. 

Cheers

Justin

• Like 4

My issues are

Always needing a core running. 

Not all Roon ready devices can be grouped together. 

Tidal's library is a bit limited. 

Finding new tracks via Tidal in Roon can't be added to Tidal playlists. 

Having a decent sized local library of 5000+ albums is near impossible to scroll through via the phone app (no scroll bar). 

Only having Tidal and Qobuz streaming services. 

Having said that it is quite nice to use for a proper listening session but using native apps for having music on in the house is much, much better I think. 

I'm waiting for more devices to use Chromecast. So far I believe Naim, Primare and Cambridge have adopted it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  I’ve decided to hold off on trying roon for a while.  I am thinking that if I did try it, then I would get “fixated” on it and waste too much precious time on tagging, reading and going through my rather large collection.  I’ve got a dissertation to finish and a baby coming in September so any reason to focus on my music collection may prove to be disasterous for me.  So I may set aside time in summer to transition to roon - depending on new baby requirements.

at the moment, i’ll Just keep listening and enjoying music to relax - not spend time getting used to new software. I hope that makes sense.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, captain starlight said:

at the moment, i’ll Just keep listening and enjoying music to relax - not spend time getting used to new software. I hope that makes sense.

Makes very good sense (and I'm a Roon lifetime user).

• Like 1

Worth it if you can afford a Nucleus and an iPad. I run mine just on a laptop and use an iMac or phone as remote. Not ideal but it's ok until I get the server + iPad in the house. 

I love the convenience of Roon Having used it since the first days.

i have Qobuz added as well which I prefer over Tidal.

with regard to tagging and file naming, I add all new music to jriver temporarily and use that for tag editing before then dumping the renamed files on the NAS.

Roon for me runs fantastically on my Synology NAS.

the newer QNap and SYnology are fast enough to run a giant library (>10TB 300000+ tracks.  Just make sure you have at least 8Gb RAM.

I subscribed to Roon recently. It works well for me since I'm lazy in the way I organise my media and Roon brings it all together, via it's interface, nicely.  I have used Audirvana and JRiver in the past and both are all very good, albeit with a little extra work in terms of media naming, metadata tagging, etc.

9 hours ago, Demondes said:

I love the convenience of Roon Having used it since the first days.

i have Qobuz added as well which I prefer over Tidal.

with regard to tagging and file naming, I add all new music to jriver temporarily and use that for tag editing before then dumping the renamed files on the NAS.

Roon for me runs fantastically on my Synology NAS.

the newer QNap and SYnology are fast enough to run a giant library (>10TB 300000+ tracks.  Just make sure you have at least 8Gb RAM.

Can you sign up for Qobuz in Australia now? 

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Can you sign up for Qobuz in Australia now? 

Technically No

you just need to VPN to Uk when you sign up on the qobuz website. Don’t go through apple itself as that is  more expensive

once signed up they don’t seem to care.   I can now use Qobuz in Australia and even China where I am currently without the VPN.

i only signed up for CD quality as it is expensive compared to other services.  You can choose the cache locally the files you play

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm was happy to see this topic, given I am also pondering and pondering and pondering... (about roon software yes or no). Is there anyone (in Perth) who is using Roon and willing to maybe demo sometime during a day in a weekend?

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2019 at 7:14 AM, frednork said:

Just for those trying Roon free, here is a link for Tidal hifi 90 days free to go with it.

Roon takes on another dimension when integrated with a music service.

https://offer.tidal.com/campaigns/5ced61f174bf330018621c43/products?geo=AU&campaignId=5ced61f174bf330018621c43

Yeah with Tidal a whole world of music opens up. Roon makes it so easy to access and provides the best looking and most informative and full featured interface.

If you love exploring music and digging deeper into the details of the recording, Roon is a wonderful tool. 

Well worth the cost IMO.

Edited by Tobes
  • Love 1

Wow, thanks for the code for the 60 day trial @frednork I'm hooked already, so many features and settings. I'm just using Tidal premium atm through my Topping D10 and it sounds damn good. I'll have to do some googling to see if there are better settings. It's coming through at 192 PMC atm. Can't wait to get my NAS back (it imploded). Hopefully the data is still there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blakey72 said:

So can you control Roon by Android if it's on a pc?

If Roon Server on a PC and Roon Remote on an Android ...yes.

10 hours ago, blakey72 said:

So can you control Roon by Android if it's on a pc?

I think you can control roon from pretty much anything there are apps/software for mac/pc/linux/apple and similarly for the server can sit on mac/pc/linux/qnap/synology. The server power will limit the amount of processing you can do but even a low power server should work for just playing.