Roon Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, blybo said:

I have mine set to "only for compatibility", do we want to be mucking around with the signal more than we need to?

I would be interested in fiddling with the DSP for my room via Roon, but don't have a calibrated mic, nor the knowledge to adjust it myself.

I meant all the resampling options. I've read that unless you're exclusively playing hi res stuff already, redbook can benefit from the upsampling option.

16 minutes ago, blybo said:

do we want to be mucking around with the signal more than we need to?

Depend on what you DAC would prefer to see?    The re-sampling in a computer can be higher quality than what is done in a DAC ..... but it all depends.

16 minutes ago, blybo said:

I would be interested in fiddling with the DSP for my room via Roon

This bit....  is the bit you don't want to be adjusting without knowing you're doing good.

• 2 months later...

So it's been a bit over 2 months and since hard-wiring my core to the same router as my Roon endpoint I have not had a single issue with skipping or anything. I've also found tracks load quicker and fast forwarding to a certain point in the track is much faster. 

Anyone having issues with this even though the Wi-Fi network is obviously spec'd to handle such a task I'd definitely recommend trying the same. 

Thanks again to Sean, what you've learnt at CA and Roon forums is very valuable. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Thanks again to Sean, what you've learnt at CA and Roon forums is very valuable. 

Ha no worries mate. But this particular thing came from personal experience though, 2 years ago (having been through every possible issue under the sun).

Learnt a lot from the Roon Support guys directly...

It's specifically the Roon Core that you should hardwire to the router. The endpoints are much less an issue over wireless.

Happy to hear playback has been flawless. That's how music/Roon is meant to be enjoyed!

Edited by Music2496
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, just finished installing a 15m Ethernet run to connect our upstairs NBN to the Roon Nucleus in our downstairs main system (initially installed Nucleus in our  second system as no cabling to downstairs). Nucleus USB1 output to Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ for MQA decoding to go through Musical Fidelity M6si and Paradigm Reference Studio 100s, USB2 output to Oppo HA1 with PM1s and HDMI out to Denon AVR 4520 for multi channel (yet to try). Self installed 1TB SSD and loaded FLAC files (about 15,000 tracks). Had to persevere to get backups and libraries working as I wanted but Roon website and communities were very useful and some responses to queries I posted resulted in breakthroughs. Love the Roon interface and have discovered heaps of music through Tidal and Roon radio (including leading me to purchasing Keith Jarrett Koln Concert in vinyl) . Have been enjoying the MQA decoding by Roon (in part) and the Brooklyn (balance) but to my ears it is not always clearly better (Schiit Jotunheim and LCD3s or Oppo HA1 and PM1s which are not MQA often just as good). Using Roon controllers (computer, iPads and iPhones) to control 11 outputs (including Sonos items). Roon has been stable and delivering great listening results and lots of interesting reading. There are some compromises, for my main system the Brooklyn and M6si require me to manually (or via their remotes) control volume.   When I have Roon do it the sound quality decreases (which is why Roon recommend using device volume control I guess). All in all however Roon and Nucleus has been another significant step forward in our Hi-Fi system and the quality, variety, experience and enjoyment of music. 

5AD74C71-FF02-43D0-AFB1-AFC5D87141AC.png

E12E1DF0-DA80-44B4-84D3-659CE3FB7D3B.jpeg

• Like 5

Further to the above, can anyone point me in the right direction about copying multichannel into my Roon library (I currently use dbPoweramp) and whether Roon Nucleus can manage multichannel out of the HDMI output to my Dednon AVR4520. I can get the Denon to show 5.1 and have sound issuing but the Roon file info is showing 2ch, even for tracks that on original CD were 5.1. Also having trouble finding multichannel on HD Tracks. Any info referrals or leads and responses welcome. Cheers

2 hours ago, KRSDarwin said:

Further to the above, can anyone point me in the right direction about copying multichannel into my Roon library (I currently use dbPoweramp) and whether Roon Nucleus can manage multichannel out of the HDMI output to my Dednon AVR4520. I can get the Denon to show 5.1 and have sound issuing but the Roon file info is showing 2ch, even for tracks that on original CD were 5.1. Also having trouble finding multichannel on HD Tracks. Any info referrals or leads and responses welcome. Cheers

Roon doesn't support multichannel.

19 hours ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

It didn't when I first joined.. Anyway I was wrong, it does support multichannel.

GREAT SCOTT MAN! don't ever admit the "W" word, hell... everyone will start to admire the place & "hang out " here!!

• Haha 1

Thanks Music2496

On 13/02/2019 at 8:18 PM, Music2496 said:

I had been to the above but for my HDMI connected AVR the device setting did not show the multichannel options. I played around for a while and came to the preliminary view that the issue was the recorded music on my Roon SSD was all 2 channel, even though its original source was often multichannel. Hence my query on getting multichannel into my library (whether by copying, downloads or Tidal). I’ll keep searching! Cheers 

7 hours ago, KRSDarwin said:

Thanks Music2496

I had been to the above but for my HDMI connected AVR the device setting did not show the multichannel options. I played around for a while and came to the preliminary view that the issue was the recorded music on my Roon SSD was all 2 channel, even though its original source was often multichannel. Hence my query on getting multichannel into my library (whether by copying, downloads or Tidal). I’ll keep searching! Cheers 

Hi KRSDarwin

There's some free 5.1 samples available from here:

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Can you try that to confirm everything is working well?

Edited by Music2496

Thanks a million Music2496. I successfully downloaded multichannel and MQA tracks from the site you referred to.  It is a fantastic site for test downloads and some great music brilliantly recorded.  Funnily enough I had just purchased and received the 2L album The Nordic Sound on SACD and BluRay but couldn’t work out how to copy them in multi channel by dbPoweramp. After overcoming some natural incompetence (namely not scrolling down in Device Setup advanced options to find Multichannel which was set on 2.0!) I am now successfully listening to real multi-channel (both PCM and DSD converted to PCM) from Roon Nucleus SSD through my AVR and integrated amp with HT Bypass. Personally satisfying Roon proof in photos below!  Thanks again for your help, it is very much appreciated. 

203721DF-7862-450C-B229-80ACF011BCA1.png

C06B6C60-06A1-4A0E-B7F0-8EDB18763F5C.png

Edited by KRSDarwin
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, KRSDarwin said:

Thanks a million Music2496. I successfully downloaded multichannel and MQA tracks from the site you referred to.

Brilliant stuff KRSDarwin.

I thought those free 5.1 samples would be the best way to easily test your earlier theory that you were maybe just playing 2-channel stuff before. Looks like you were right.

Quite a few 2L recordings have been nominated for Grammy Award for Best Surround Sound. Search for "Lindberg" here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Surround_Sound_Album

Some of that style of music isn't normally what I listen to, but I really like "Quiet Winter Night" by The Hoff Ensemble, nominated for Best Surround Album in 2013 and available for purchase in 5.1.

Happy to have helped.

Edited by Music2496
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Title says it all.  Is roon worth it?

i already use jriver and it is good for what it is. Although there are a few quirks that drive me crazy sometimes. However I have invested many hours into jriver and I am rather proud of the tagging I have done with it.

but I have started to think about roon though - the interface and information seems good. I have yet to try the 14 day free trial though and to be frank, 14 days is not long enough for a trial as I am rather time poor at the moment.

but I would like to see what the consensus is - especially by those that have used both jriver and roon.  So is roon worth it?  I mean for the cost of roon, I can buy myself some more hardware - ie a new dac etc.

So opinions and thoughts please....