From Tube amp back to SS. Who has done it?

31 minutes ago, Warren M. said:

I'm not disputing what you say, but these are 42W per channel single ended pure class A - you can be pretty sure that they will take vastly more than an hour to stabilise each time you switch them on.

my unison research s6 pure class A in the 30-35w range is pretty much good to go in switch on. I dont see more than an hour or anything from switch on for them to stabilise :) at the outer i might say 10 mins or something if looking for some sort of time. but it sounds great from get go :)

14 minutes ago, betty boop said:

my unison research s6 pure class A in the 30-35w range is pretty much good to go in switch on. I dont see more than an hour or anything from switch on for them to stabilise :) at the outer i might say 10 mins or something if looking for some sort of time. but it sounds great from get go :)

Interesting that they get 30+ watts per channel off 3 EL34s per side. The stability you are finding is very rare in a high power single ended design. I guess ultralinear triode mode helps in that regard. What speakers are you driving?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warren M. said:

Interesting that they get 30+ watts per channel off 3 EL34s per side. The stability you are finding is very rare in a high power single ended design. I guess ultralinear triode mode helps in that regard. What speakers are you driving?

hi warren, I use focal 1007be stand mounts  :)

1 hour ago, Warren M. said:

I'm not disputing what you say, but these are 42W per channel single ended pure class A - you can be pretty sure that they will take vastly more than an hour to stabilise each time you switch them on.

Agree. I’m talking more of my own builds which are generally are low power SE builds. 

Guest Muon N'

Why would the tubes in the Kronzilla take that long to stabilise, it doesn't make any sense, to me anyway.

Goodaye all

l have  a Sansui AU70 tube and Solid State  AU555 set up and l can easily switch from both.

They sound so simaler l tend use the AU555 for extended use and the AU70 for a couple of hours.

Got to try and keep my fingers of adjustments to the AU70 till it warms up.

BUT l do cheat with the colder days and go to the AU70 first, it warms the room so well.:na:

regards Bruce

• Like 3

I went from a tube integrated in my main to a solid state power amp + MicroZOTL 3 tube preamp and moved the tube integrated into my second system.

I'm in a strange situation where whenever I listen to system 1 I think it's  best, and when I listen to system 2 I think it's best. Problem is they both sound so darn good that I can't decide which is best and each system has its strengths.

So no I can't say I've ditched tube for solid state or vice versa.  I'm just lucky enough to have two living rooms so I can enjoy both. System 1 has the most coin tied up in it though system 2 has the most upgraded components (capacitors, OPAMPS, TDA1541A S1 etc).

Both are magic in their own way though in all fairness the power amp used in my main system is meant to have a fairly tube like presentation (darTZeel NHB-108B copy).

That said it's certainly about synergy.  My 97db efficient upgraded Oatlon W2-1000F do not match well with my make system as the power amp needs more signal from the preamp to truly come alive and at that level those speakers are too loud to be comfortable. The lower sensitivity of my 89db Aurum Cantus F620 speakers is perfect in that system.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I went from a tube integrated in my main to a solid state power amp + MicroZOTL 3 tube preamp and moved the tube integrated into my second system.

I'm in a strange situation where whenever I listen to system 1 I think it's  best, and when I listen to system 2 I think it's best. Problem is they both sound so darn good that I can't decide which is best and each system has its strengths.

So no I can't say I've ditched tube for solid state or vice versa.  I'm just lucky enough to have two living rooms so I can enjoy both. System 1 has the most coin tied up in it though system 2 has the most upgraded components (capacitors, OPAMPS, TDA1541A S1 etc).

Both are magic in their own way though in all fairness the power amp used in my main system is meant to have a fairly tube like presentation (darTZeel NHB-108B copy).

I feel a bit the same. My main system has one of three Class D power amps most of the time then for a week or so I drop in one of three tube amps. With either I really enjoy the sound but find I’m thinking of the other. In the end I’m back on my latest DIY D - hifimediy T4 with Mundorf oils. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I feel a bit the same. My main system has one of three Class D power amps most of the time then for a week or so I drop in one of three tube amps. With either I really enjoy the sound but find I’m thinking of the other. In the end I’m back on my latest DIY D - hifimediy T4 with Mundorf oils. 

Ah, you quoted me while I edited my post. ;)

Yeah, keeping both tubed and solid state systems. Each are quite special :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Anyone who has read my rantings over the last couple of years would know in that time I have gone from a SS to a tube convert big time.

That was up until I recently purchased a couple of Music Fidelity 550k Superchargers, these two switchable in-line boosters and or Mono blocks have seriously changed my system for the better and for only a few dollars., they are simply the best bang for buck purchase I have made and when used as inline booster they have turned my favourite PrimaLuna Integrated in to 550 watts of tube goodness.
Disconnect the PL and bolt in the Mystere CA21 tube pre and flick a switch on the back of each  Supercharger and they become 550 watt mono blocks that take on almost faithfully the sonics of the Mystere tube pre-amp to a degree that it is almost spooky.

So am I still a tube man, yes I am 100% ... providing I can keep the Superchargers. ... :winky:

cheers Terry
Interested in your thoughts on the 907 limited compared to your tube gear Terry?
  • Like 1

Your Osborne Eos standmounts have a minimum impedance of 4 ohm which are lowish but don’t think they would be that demanding. Tube amp system with the natural qualities is still justified, perhaps try a different or more powerful tube amp or add a good tube preamp.

An all SS or hybrid amp setup will also be good and perhaps more justified if you needed them to drive a more demanding large set of multi way speakers authoritatively.

Class D can be nice enough and give a balance between SS and tube. Many can be quite flat sounding in terms of sound stage, IMO.

The practical and operation realities of SS over tube are very beneficial.

I have all options including tube, hybrid and SS and regularly switch between all of them enjoying the best attributes of each to suit the different speakers.

Another way is to operate a used hi end vintage or not SS power amp like an older Krell 100w, Plinius, Pass Labs, ME etc with a modern DAC preamp/network player combined type of unit as the power amp quality in all of those scenarios will likely obliterate the power amp section of a used $2k intergrated that was once say $4-6k rrp. Refer to past forum discussion archives on this approach.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

On 11/07/2019 at 10:44 PM, Sansui77 said:
On 06/06/2019 at 8:48 PM, TerryO said:
Anyone who has read my rantings over the last couple of years would know in that time I have gone from a SS to a tube convert big time.

That was up until I recently purchased a couple of Music Fidelity 550k Superchargers, these two switchable in-line boosters and or Mono blocks have seriously changed my system for the better and for only a few dollars., they are simply the best bang for buck purchase I have made and when used as inline booster they have turned my favourite PrimaLuna Integrated in to 550 watts of tube goodness.
Disconnect the PL and bolt in the Mystere CA21 tube pre and flick a switch on the back of each  Supercharger and they become 550 watt mono blocks that take on almost faithfully the sonics of the Mystere tube pre-amp to a degree that it is almost spooky.

So am I still a tube man, yes I am 100% ... providing I can keep the Superchargers. ... :winky:

cheers Terry

Interested in your thoughts on the 907 limited compared to your tube gear Terry?

Hi Khosaku,

I have not played the 907 for several weeks while I have been experimenting with a few different components and cables in my system so looking forward to having a good listen to the big Sansui again this week.

Its a bit unfair to compare the 907 to my PrimaLuna integrated  as it is now given the way I have it connected up. 

The PrimaLuna now generates its music through the 550watt Music Fidelity Superchargers I now have in my system which act as inline boosters and the sound from that combination is quite intoxicating to say the least, nothing quite like 550watts of what very much sounds like tube amplification to enjoy, it has taken my Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Concert Grand speakers to a level of enjoyable sq that I never thought was possible. 

Once I have spent some time with the Sansui back in action again I will compare it back to the PrimaLuna on its own and give you some feedback.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

On 12/07/2019 at 12:04 AM, Al.M said:

Another way is to operate a used hi end vintage or not SS power amp like an older Krell 100w, Plinius, Pass Labs, ME etc with a modern DAC preamp/network player combined type of unit as the power amp quality in all of those scenarios will likely obliterate the power amp section of a used $2k intergrated that was once say $4-6k rrp. Refer to past forum discussion archives on this approach.

Thanks for the suggestion and the insight :thumb:

Great thread.  I couldn't decide so I have two systems which I swap between every 4-5 months.  The valve system (flea powered SET with vintage full range drivers) sounds completely different from the solid state system (pre/power, big 3 way speakers ).  But difference is the fun of hi-fi! 

The SS system is of course much more "accurate" and punchy, but if I have a night ahead of whiskey and jazz records,  the valve system can't be matched... 

• Like 5

I have also been tempted with a Cambridge Audio Edge integrated because of their Class A bias. I have had a Jungson Class A pre/power and love the fullness, richness and smoothness in the mid range. Too bad the sound stage did not quite have the depth and the heat it puts out is a great feet warmer in winter. It was an 80 watt p/c amp so it was not fully capable of producing a strong enough bass on my Dynaudio 1.3SE. Then came the Consonance with 40watt Class A but 200 watt Class A/B. Now that is a different beast altogether. Now I am back to valves but might be thinking of moving to the Cambridge Audio Edge or another Class A/B Int amp that will give me the Class A 'Magic'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thimmy118 said:

Then came the Consonance with 40watt Class A but 200 watt Class A/B. Now that is a different beast altogether.

Which model is that? I have the M100 which is rated at 40W and drives my speakers (88db - 90db) well. I do love the sound stage of the Opera consonance amps. Not to mention the mids.. if I could find a SS integrated that could do the same I'd be interested.

3 hours ago, lemarquis said:

Which model is that? I have the M100 which is rated at 40W and drives my speakers (88db - 90db) well. I do love the sound stage of the Opera consonance amps. Not to mention the mids.. if I could find a SS integrated that could do the same I'd be interested.

It was the Opera Forbidden City. Weighs 35+ kg and was initially built with a set of tube pre-amp. This was subsequently modified to full SS, which was the model I had. They were called Opera Audio then.

• Like 2

I've heard of those beasts. I wonder if their SS gear can match the tube amps they make.. that would open up a different avenue to pursue as I rate their tube gear highly :popcorn:

Having said all that, having recently upgraded to a Gross dac I'm really enjoying the tube integrated. Lovely and deep sound stage, dynamics and tone :) 

• Like 1

I have gone from tubes back to solid state. Luckily i have fairly easy to drive speakers so i was able to try many tube amps. Also use active bass system so don't need huge amounts of power.

Over the past 20 or so years Ive had many tube amps in my system including Nagra VPA, Cary 805, Mcintosh MC2102, Ear 890, Vacuum State DPA 300, KR audio Kronzilla etc and found for my taste i preferred the amps that had the least sonic impact on the sound.

The tube amps i almost always preferred started to sound closer to solid state if you there is such a sound. ? Due to certain circumstances (having kids) i wanted to simplify my system and ended up with a solid state integrated and have kind of forgotten about tubes (almost). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rob said:

I have gone from tubes back to solid state. Luckily i have fairly easy to drive speakers so i was able to try many tube amps. Also use active bass system so don't need huge amounts of power.

Over the past 20 or so years Ive had many tube amps in my system including Nagra VPA, Cary 805, Mcintosh MC2102, Ear 890, Vacuum State DPA 300, KR audio Kronzilla etc and found for my taste i preferred the amps that had the least sonic impact on the sound.

The tube amps i almost always preferred started to sound closer to solid state if you there is such a sound. ? Due to certain circumstances (having kids) i wanted to simplify my system and ended up with a solid state integrated and have kind of forgotten about tubes (almost). 

Sounds like a very respectable stable of tube amps you've lived with :) What kind of SS did you go back to and do you feel like it's doing the job as well as the tubes (as opposed to just being a simpler option) ?

Accuphase E-450 and Accuphase C-27 Phono Pre, (for 10 years now) With regards to doing the job just as well that is slightly harder to answer as some of the tube combos had certain aspects i liked but i would have to say yes.

I certainly don't think about changing amps like i used to. To be honest it has allowed me to focus on other ways of improving the sound, like measuring the space, adding room treatment and integrating an active bass system. I firmly believe this has a far greater effect on sound quality compared with changing amplifiers and fussing with cables and tweaks etc. 

• Like 1

I guess I prefer valves, but I am not rabid.  I have changed to a valve phono stage (a Fosgate Signature) but then back to a SS.  Premaps too - I upgraded to a Ayon Eris that has gorgeous 6H30 valves.  But then back to a solid state (Daniel Hertz M6).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob said:

Accuphase E-450 and Accuphase C-27 Phono Pre, (for 10 years now) With regards to doing the job just as well that is slightly harder to answer as some of the tube combos had certain aspects i liked but i would have to say yes.

That's very useful feedback Rob. I must confess that there are times when I see a nice Mcintosh SS integrated or similar and feel it's the perfect way to give away the fiddling and just sit back and enjoy the music. Believe it or not I had the same amp and speakers for 25 years before I headed out on the upgrade path which, coincidentally, turned out to be more about the room than the gear :/

33 minutes ago, SL1200 said:

I guess I prefer valves, but I am not rabid.  I have changed to a valve phono stage (a Fosgate Signature) but then back to a SS.  Premaps too - I upgraded to a Ayon Eris that has gorgeous 6H30 valves.  But then back to a solid state (Daniel Hertz M6).  

That's interesting and goes to show that there will always be room for tubes somewhere as a source component.